DH might loose job - insurance in MI? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are basically terrified over here....DH works for GM and things are obviously not looking good. It will be a miracle if he has a job and we have insurance when this baby arrives. How do you get insurance if you are jobless? We know nothing about this? DH said he thought we'd have to buy Cobra which is hundreds a month?! I certainly hope that's not our only option...how are people supposed to pay so much for insurance when they don't have any income? Sorry...just really worried here...any advice appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
. How do you get insurance if you are jobless? We know nothing about this? DH said he thought we'd have to buy Cobra which is hundreds a month?! I certainly hope that's not our only option...how are people supposed to pay so much for insurance when they don't have any income? Sorry...just really worried here...any advice appreciated...
Karen, you used to be able to get MI Child to cover your pregnancy if you were uninsured, but I just looked and that might not be the case any longer? It looks like the "Group 2 Pregnant Women" listed here might be a possibility http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,....html#Pregnant
Your husband can check into short term insurance for himself. We got ours through Fortis a few years ago, but they might be part of another organization now. It was a LOT cheaper then COBRA. I'm not sure if you would be eligible though....it'd be worth looking into if the other option doesn't work out.

Christa
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM

What county do you live in? Several counties have passed basic healthcare referendums.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM

We used MI Child when dh was laid off. Now that I'm pregnant, our private insurance policy does not cover prenatals, but we are in app. process for MI Child for me to cover prenatal and ultrasound. But....you still have to be within their income limits.

I'm right there with you....dh is in the Auto industry. He doesn't work directly for GM, but if they go down, the entire country is in BIG trouble!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Hi Karen
I don't have any info on insurance, but want to say I know how your feeling. My DH was notified Tuesday morning that his plant is closing in March.
Good luck to you and your family.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM

I wonder if a bunch of us could get together and somehow set up a Group policy?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 AM

Find your local Department of Health and Human Services and apply for Medicaid or Mi Child. If I'm right, you won't be considered until you are actually eligible--ie, you can't really apply unless or until your husband actually loses his job. My husband and I, both full-time students, have Medicaid and our daughter has a Medicaid health plan. I first qualified for Medicaid when I was pregnant with our second (I subsequently miscarried.) and it covered prenatal visits, delivery, everything--just not with a midwife! I don't believe you will have any trouble qualifying if your husband does lose his job--which I pray for you that he doesn't.

A wee sort of warning: the process of applying for public assistance is aggravating, depressing and often degrading. Our case worker actually said to my face that the Dpt. of Health and Human Services was a "f*@$ing hellhole." BUT, just know that once you qualify, you don't have to deal with them very much at all, and having you and your family covered does make it all worth it.

Also, know (as I'm sure you must) that you are NOT ALONE. So many families in Michigan (and even throughout the U.S.) are going through hard times like this. My heart goes out to you. All I can do is try to stay positive, to believe that things will change, and to focus on the joys of having a healthy, happy and loving family. I hope you and your family can do the same.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin View Post
I wonder if a bunch of us could get together and somehow set up a Group policy?
You can get health insurance thru AAA even if you are not a member, and it is considered a group policy. You would have to contact an agent for pricing info.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

Old 11-22-2008, 02:44 PM

I was also going to suggest Medicaid. I'm so sorry you are going through this and I'm sure it must be very scary.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Nothing more to add, but that I'm praying for all of our Michigan families affected by the auto industry. C'mon bailout!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeAK View Post

Also, know (as I'm sure you must) that you are NOT ALONE. So many families in Michigan (and even throughout the U.S.) are going through hard times like this. My heart goes out to you. All I can do is try to stay positive, to believe that things will change, and to focus on the joys of having a healthy, happy and loving family. I hope you and your family can do the same.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
:
We are shaking in our boots too!! If Dh does loose his job, we would most likely apply for MI child.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 PM

us, too! My husband may or may not have a job very soon (within days). We're not sure about insurance either. I'm a physical therapist, so I can always work if i need to, but...you Mamas know I want to be home with my squirt!

We are worried about ins. too - someone told us recently that if you have a business (WAHM, anyone?) you might be able to get a group rate through your local chamber of commerce. Haven't looked into it yet myself, but it might work for someone.

Things are scary - but God is in control! Lot of Christian Michigan Mamas on this thread it seems? Let's keep praying!

That's an intreguing thought - if we could get a group rate somehow...????

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dh lost his job a week ago thursday. Worked for a tier one supplier. When his last company went bankrupt and only his commodity was purchased by the company who just laid him off, they made him wait 30 days (which turned into 90) to be covered by their group plan (first time since he graduated college that he's been made to wait 30 days for heath insurance!). Because he has a history of tumors, he MUST not be uninsured, or he will be considered uninsurable. The company has offered him 3 mos of paid for cobra, but if after two months, he doesn't get a job, we will most likely go back to the plan we had for those three months, which is through Blue Cross of Michigan, and is about a third the cost of Cobra. It's not as good a plan as we have now, but isn't that much worse, actually. The suppliers have been diminishing the plans they offer pretty much yearly for the last ten years, so white collar workers have been paying more and more for insurance, as well as higher and higher deductible and co-pays. In the end, we'll only pay a little more a month for the new stuff (which would be fully half of our unemployment, but with his medical history and my kids and me having asthma, it 's just not okay to be uninsured or have to go to a strange doctor who pooh-poohs celiac disease).

Oh, my. We really need a job! *sigh*

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 AM

Oh Courtenay! I pray he finds a job soon. I'm seriously wondering when the bailout will come for MI!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 AM

Thanks. Too late for us, most probably.

I'm hoping he finds a job OUT of the auto industry, so that we don't have to sweat this out ever again. *crossing fingers*

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that Courtenay . DH has survived three rounds of layoffs in the last few months, but there aren't many people left to go (also a Tier 1 supplier). We're pretty scared. He is looking at other jobs, but it would almost certainly mean leaving the state. And since we've lost all of the equity we have in our house and would surely sell for less than we owe (there's a foreclosure down the street that's basically the same as our house and the bank is asking 65k less than we paid, and it's still for sale after several months) ... then what?

This whole thing is such a disaster.

Sorry to hijack, OP. I don't know anything about the health insurance. I hope you figure something out soon .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Shana, I know. Our house's counterpart in our neighborhood sold in foreclosure for $125K less than our mortgage was appraised for. The house across the street and over two sold last month NOT in foreclosure, with 15-20K into the kitchen and a completely finished basement (our houses are less than 7 years old), for $175K less than our house appraised for when we got this mortgage. We're so upside down that it just isn't funny. If we have to move out of state, it will definately include walking away from this house and having alll those years of bad credit because of it. This stinks. We work our TAILS off for what we have, and could afford the house when we bought it, and had a year's worth of savings, to boot. Then dh got sick and all that changed.

Oh well. We really DO need to get some decent insurance--it's DEFINATELY cheaper than cobra!

Tee-hee! An group rate insurance co-op! I know that there is a pretty small minimum to go through a chamber of commerce group. My mom did that when she owned her salon.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 PM

When are we going to start that commune?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I'm hoping he finds a job OUT of the auto industry, so that we don't have to sweat this out ever again. *crossing fingers*
I'm so sorry and I'll cross my fingers for your family. My husband was laid off this summer (Ford) and we desperately wanted him to find a job out of automotive. Luckily, he did get a new job within a few months. Unfortunately, not only is it still automotive, but he is also sitting at the very same desk he used to sit at as a Ford employee (but making way less $ working for a subcontractor on a project).

Meh. I really hope Michigan recovers, for all our sakes.

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Hey, Dierdre! Haven't seen you around in a while! I'm sorry to hear that he was in the Ford cuts, and that he is making a lot less than he was. We know what that's like. When dh was hired by the company who just laid him off, it was because they bought out his portion of the company he had been working for which went bankrupt. He took a 13% pay cut. And they told him it was 'cause they LIKED him--that most of the other people in his pay grade had taken a 25% paycut. That 13% made a HUGE impact on our lives. We went from just making it to NOT making it. We're HUGELY behind now. Well, okay, next month we will be even MORE behind...but honestly...

Anyway, I feel for your family.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Its not just the auto industry -
They are talking about closing a school in our district - and all those teachers have way more seniority than I do.

*hugs*

We all need to hold on, kiss our babies and do what we can.

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Renee View Post
Its not just the auto industry -
They are talking about closing a school in our district - and all those teachers have way more seniority than I do.

*hugs*

We all need to hold on, kiss our babies and do what we can.
Yeah it's not just the auto industry. My dh is a carpenter and has been laid off since the end of September. I'm kissing my babies everyday and just trying to be greatful for what we do have.

Good luck to everyone on this thread whose struggling in this terrible economy. We're not alone in this. I certainly am not happy that others are facing the hard time we are but sometimes it feels good to know we're not alone. Then I realize that we didn't mess up, that this is bigger than all of us.

Hugs to all
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 AM

I think that is what the rest of the country doesn't get: All of Michigan will suffer if the Big 3 doesn't get help. It makes me sick when I hear people saying to let the big 3 go - they don't realize that the little people will suffer. Hugs, mamas!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM

Yes, let's all start a commune, a little paradise where we live off the land and share everything and no one needs money.

We need fantasies at a time like this.

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
Old 11-28-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
I think that is what the rest of the country doesn't get: All of Michigan will suffer if the Big 3 doesn't get help. It makes me sick when I hear people saying to let the big 3 go - they don't realize that the little people will suffer. Hugs, mamas!
Not just Michigan, either...most of the Midwest will be devastated. They just don't get that it spreads out into everything.

We are ok for now but we no longer own our own home, which is emotionally so scarring for us. And the hit on my DH's self-esteem has been ENORMOUS. His job is tied to the Auto Industry but not at a Tier 1 level, more like Tier 2-3. He does tech support for the software engineers that contract to the Big Three. So the less engineers there are to support, the less tech support that's needed. He's just working his butt off and we're praying and praying.

Anyway, to the OP...I'm sorry to hijack. I just couldn't read this thread without responding, too.

((((hugs to all))))
Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickityChinah View Post
Not just Michigan, either...most of the Midwest will be devastated. They just don't get that it spreads out into everything.

We are ok for now but we no longer own our own home, which is emotionally so scarring for us. And the hit on my DH's self-esteem has been ENORMOUS. His job is tied to the Auto Industry but not at a Tier 1 level, more like Tier 2-3. He does tech support for the software engineers that contract to the Big Three. So the less engineers there are to support, the less tech support that's needed. He's just working his butt off and we're praying and praying.

Anyway, to the OP...I'm sorry to hijack. I just couldn't read this thread without responding, too.

((((hugs to all))))
I'm sorry, too, to hijack this thread. I just think that all this has opened such a vein in everyone. I wanted to mention a book I read last year or so, The Disposable American by Louis Uchitelle. I thought of it because he talks about the effect of lay-offs on the very self-esteem of the people the effect. Your dh is NOT alone. Give him this book and tell him that it's not his fault!

Sometimes I hope that all this downsizing leads to anger and a renewed labor movement in this country. But that's certainly REALLY off topic, so nevermind!

OP, have you had any luck with finding insurance?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM

low cost dental work in Genesee County nak - just saw this in the paper and i thought i'd pass on for those without dental insurance in Flint area

User Tag List