Choosing a midwife in Oakland County, MI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience with Wendy Pinter from Nine Short Months? I've heard good things about both her and Stacia Proefrock of Trillium Birth Services. A search of the archives seems to turn up several recommendations for Stacia, but not much mention of Wendy. I'd love to hear some feedback about your experiences (good, bad or neutral) if you've used Wendy (particulrly if you used her as a midwife).

Also, are there any particular questions you ask when choosing a midwife? I'm not really sure what to ask when I meet with them.

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM

I spoke with Wendy when I was selecting a midwife a few months ago. I understand that her business is new. She has worked as a doula or apprentice midwife for 5-8 years I believe, but she's just starting out as a primary midwife. Good luck with your search and congratulations.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#3 of 8 Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM

I've never used Wendy as a midwife, but she was my first choice for this pregnancy. I've known her for a while and I think she's wonderful. Unfortunately she's taking this summer off, when I'm due.

You probably haven't read too much about her because she's fairly new - I think she started training as a midwife around 2 years ago - someone correct me if I'm wrong (Christa?). But she's been involved in birth as a doula and CBE for many years.

Her business partner Christa is on this message board frequently (RNChrista is her screen name). You can PM her for more info.

Go to the Homebirth section of Birth and Beyond and in the stickied section there are lists of questions to ask a midwife.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#4 of 8 Old 11-27-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

By the way, what's a CBE? I noticed you said Wendy has worked as a doula and a CBE.

I've also noticed another abbreviation on these boards...YKWIM. Can anyone tell me what that stands for?

:-)
#5 of 8 Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CBE=Childbirth Educator

YKWIM=You know what I mean

Welcome to the boards!

Yup, take a look at the homebirth stickies about questions. Some good ones though, would be to ask when she transfers care for a case that she doesn't feel she should handle--so some midwives would be uncomfortable with breech or twins, others are okay with frank breech, but not footling, others don't like Gestational Diabetes. Some won't go to the hospital with you (though in our area, MOST will) if you transport, or if you transport for drugs or epidural. How much time do they spend during their prentals? Where do they DO the prenatals? Some mothers prefer NOT to do it at their home, because they don't want to have to "clean" for the midwife when they're so exhausted, others prefer it, cause they don't want to have to travel to wherever the midwife's office is. What do they typically do during labor...what do you think you'll need as far as "support" during labor--and do the two match up? So if you need an in your face, giving you lots of support/doula type midwife is that who you are hiring, or ifyou need her to sit in the corner and knit until you say you need her, is THAT who you are hiring? Do they do/offer water birth? Do they provide the tub? If not, do they help you find one/suggest where to get one?

What kind of postnatal care do they offer? If you plan to breastfeed, can they give you good support? What is their experience in that venue? Do they provide or sell herbal baths for post partum healing? How many post partum appointments do they provide, and where are they held past the first week post partum?

Good luck!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 8 Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CBE=Childbirth Educator

YKWIM=You know what I mean

Welcome to the boards!

Yup, take a look at the homebirth stickies about questions. Some good ones though, would be to ask when she transfers care for a case that she doesn't feel she should handle--so some midwives would be uncomfortable with breech or twins, others are okay with frank breech, but not footling, others don't like Gestational Diabetes. Some won't go to the hospital with you (though in our area, MOST will) if you transport, or if you transport for drugs or epidural. How much time do they spend during their prentals? Where do they DO the prenatals? Some mothers prefer NOT to do it at their home, because they don't want to have to "clean" for the midwife when they're so exhausted, others prefer it, cause they don't want to have to travel to wherever the midwife's office is. What do they typically do during labor...what do you think you'll need as far as "support" during labor--and do the two match up? So if you need an in your face, giving you lots of support/doula type midwife is that who you are hiring, or ifyou need her to sit in the corner and knit until you say you need her, is THAT who you are hiring? Do they do/offer water birth? Do they provide the tub? If not, do they help you find one/suggest where to get one?

What kind of postnatal care do they offer? If you plan to breastfeed, can they give you good support? What is their experience in that venue? Do they provide or sell herbal baths for post partum healing? How many post partum appointments do they provide, and where are they held past the first week post partum?

MOst importantly, though, midwifery means with woman...so this should be a conversation, and a place you feel comfortable, a relationship where you feel like you are a partner in your well being during pregnancy and birth, not one where you feel like you are being told what to do all the time, or left to make all the decisions on your own, either. I suggest that you speak to more than one midwife, because even if you feel like you are SURE "she's the one" you will be reassured by that choice by talking to somebody else, or you may feel differently by talking to somebody else. The MOST important thing is that you find the right fit for YOU. There is a midwife for every woman, and not every midwife is the right midwife for every woman. I even tell this to my clients who are looking to find a homebirth midwife. I could ONLY give them the name of my preceptor, but I give them a couple of names, because it is more important they find a good fit.

Good luck!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 8 Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM

If you do not mind - could you please share your story or let me know who you decided to go with? I am currently looking for a midwife or a doula (have not decided yet) and would be very interested to hear your experiance.

Thank you!
#8 of 8 Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page