Cincinnati pediatrician recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody.
I'm getting ready to start looking into doctors for our first baby, and I have no idea where to begin. I know I'm looking for a natural minded doc that will allow an alternative vaccine schedule, support breastfeeding and non-circ, and not laugh at me for trying natural and herbal remedies before turning to pharmaceuticals (a doc that actually knows a little about herbs and could actually give advice on them would be nice too).
Anyone from cincinnati know any docs like this?

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 03:48 AM

You would totally love our doc. He's a family doc, so he sees both girls, as well as my husband. His name is Dr. David Fabrey, founder of the Holistic Health Center of Cincinnati. The last I heard, the waiting list to become a new patient was about four months.

He specializes in Homeopathic and Herbal Medicine, and, beyond our initial visit, upon which we said we were a non-vac family, he has not brought up the subject again. He always suggests a natural, herbal or homeopathic remedy, though he is completely knowledgable about pharmaceuticals, and he doesn't bat an eye that my oldest nursed until she was 3 1/2, nor does he berate us for our family bed.

I also really like how he is the only one we see--no nurse. We sit with him in his office before the exam to talk about any ailments or concerns, and again after to discuss the diagnosis and possible remedies. He is gentle with the children and I never feel strange about talking straight with him. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Fabrey! :
#3 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your response. it took me forever to get back on the forum...
i've actually been to see dr. fabrey myself! but for some reason, i never thought about taking the baby to see him. i guess i forgot i don't necessarily need a pediatrician. i am planning on doing some vaccines, though- a selective-alternative schedule. i wonder if he does that stuff or do i still need an actual pediatrican for that?

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#4 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 01:20 AM

we see kathy bain at the ppc clinic at childrens hospital. she is very pro breastfeeding and respectful of my choice to stop vaxing, although she believes differently. personally i was not very impressed with dr. fabrey, but that is just my humble opinion!
#5 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Dr Jeff Drasnin at esdpeds.com is great as well. He has an office in Hyde Park and Milford. He is supportive of alternative vax, extended BF, non-circ etc.
#6 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 AM

I highly recommend Jeff Drasnin as well. I cannot say enough good things about him. He comes from a traditional medical perspective, but I truly believe he respects parents and their choices. no hassles whatsoever about vaccines. And co-sleeping has never even been brought up, much less been criticized.
#7 of 7 Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamademateo View Post
personally i was not very impressed with dr. fabrey, but that is just my humble opinion!

Ditto. Dr. Fabrey may be a good family doc but not a good ped. When I took my feverish 9-month old to see him I was worried about a UTI (my son had a UTI at 12 weeks). Dr. Fabrey insisted on looking at my son's penis to "see" if he had a UTI. Ummm, you cannot diagnose a UTI by looking at a penis! And, when we left without any answers Dr. Fabrey told me to take my son to Cinti Children's if the fever persisted. I felt like he was pretty much admitting peds was not one of his areas of expertise.

If you are going to use a medical doctor as part of your well/sick baby care, I suggest a Board-certified pediatrician. They know how to help babies, medically.

User Tag List