Donated Breastmilk in NE Ohio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-06-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I very abruptly for medical reasons (I am diabetic) had to stop breastfeeding my baby. It has been very emotional for both baby and I. Does anyone know of any resources for obtaining donated breastmilk? With it being winter time I hate that she is on formula and I really only have enough milk in the freezer to give her 1 breast milk bottle a day for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. If you know of any resorces please PM me.
Thank you!!!

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 AM

I wish I could help you personally but Im a recipient momma for milk myself.

Try milkshare. I have had really good luck with milk. Most of my milk I have had to drive very far for or pay for shipping (which is pricey quickly) but Ophie is 6 months old and exclusively bf.

I have to tell you -its hard and it is an emotional roller coaster because you never know when/if more milk will come but it has been a battle I have chosen to fight.

http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/contact

Good Luck
May the milk find you
Michelle

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ummmmmm...have you talked to a LLL Leader about weaning? We have several auto-immune diseases in our family, including diabetes, and it has actually been proven through replicated studies that breastfeeding often puts a breastfeeding mother's diabetes into remission. 99% of the time, when a doc says to wean, it's because they simply don't KNOW, because we have such s formula feeding society. It can be more difficult, until you get accustomed to your new metabolism, to get your sugar in order, but it CAN be done, and once it becomes your new norm, it is generally much easier to keep your sugar under control if you haven't gone into complete remission.

Also important is the fact that auto-immune diseases can run in families, and breastfeeding protects BABIES from becoming children or adults with diabetes and other auto-immune disorders...so if you can find a way to continue to nurse your baby, it can keep them from suffering from this as well. No gaurantee, but a stronger possibility.

Again, I would contact your local LLL, and ask them to put you in contact with the Professional Liason Department (or PL department). They will have access to the most recent and the most relevant research, and can share it with you.

I hope this helps.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 PM

I don't have any breastmilk I can donate, because my milk has pretty much dried up now from pregnancy, but I did donate almost 500oz earlier this year. I would definitely check out milk share and any local attachment parenting/breastfeeding (LLL) groups you may have.

Although it is a fact that receiving breastmilk as an infant does prevent against developing diabetes, it is not true that breastfeeding will put a diabetic mother in to remission. At least not if the mother has type 1 diabetes. I'm not as familiar with Type 2, so perhaps it can help that. But in type 1, your pancreas does not create insulin. Breastfeeding will not cause your body to create insulin.

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page