Doula Help SE MI - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend in my moms group has a 15 year old daughter who is pregnant via a sexual assault. She is due towards the end of January and is delivering somewhere around Mount Clemens. She has already arranged to put the baby up for adoption.

Does anyone know of any no or low cost doulas who could help her through labor? I'm not sure if she's taken any childbirth prep classes. The family lives in Madison Heights.

Thanks,
Monica
#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Have them contact Doulas Care. They should be several doulas in her area that are volunteers with the program. They offer free doula services to low-income families (and I bet the teen would be considered low-income, not including the rest of the family...).

That must be such a difficult situation.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 PM

What an amazing young woman! I wonder if Courtenay would know of someone who could help?
#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 PM

i definitely second calling doulas care. I work with them and they will find a very caring, qualified doula for this young woman for free. Heck, if that doesnt work, I will drive out there (i live in lansing.. so go with doulas care first) for her, since this is the exact situation I was in at 16, and drove me to become a doula.
Keep us updated, and PM me if you need more details or any kind of help for her.
#5 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 PM

Hi Monica,

I wanted to second the recommendation of the pp regarding Doulas Care. That's how I found my doula and I know of another doula who also volunteers. I don't think the income requirements are that strict either, and I'm sure a teen mom would qualify anyways...cuz they are really great and just want to help people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page