Natural-minded doctors near South Bend, IN? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I live near South Bend, IN and am looking for an OB. I got pregnant in August and started to see the OBGYN I had been going to since I was 16. After my initial visit, I wasn't really excited about their philosophy. I don't want an epidural; I don't want to be stuck in bed for as long as my labor lasts. When I asked about a walking epidural, they didn't know what that was... I have since miscarried, and after terrible "customer service" from my OB's office (dr was great), I've decided that I certainly want to look elsewhere.

I want a doc that is supportive of natural birth, that won't induce me, or pump me full of drugs.

I know there are midwives around, there's an association in Mishawaka, but they're not in my insurance network... I'm also not sure I want a midwife instead of a doctor, but it would be nice to have the option!

Can anyone in this area recommend a doc or midwife? We're going to start TTC at the end of the month, so I'll need to start inverviewing soon.

Thanks in advance!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#2 of 15 Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Hi! Welcome! We have a lcoal holistic moms group with lots of lovely ladies, and also there are 2 great La Leche league meetings. We have a fairly large community of alternative-minded people, including homebirthers, extended breastfeeders, babywearers, cloth diaperers, non-vaxers, co-sleepers, and all that jazz.

Please tell me you aren't going to houser norberg mcgregor..you WILL get sectioned. they are AWFUL.
I'm not sure what your insurance covers...the BEST hospital based practice for natural childbirth is the midwives that practice at Memorial..they are part of "womens reproductive medicine" in the navarre building. its 2 doctors and 2 midwives..oddly enough the one doctor is a decent guy, but the woman Ob in the practice is the worst form of evil on the planet..absolutely don't go to her. but the midwives rock...
Outside of that...it's a tough area. Personally, most of my friends go to the homebirth midwives, who are really good....and insurance has been known to cover them....they are CNM's, so they are legal and have prescribing privileges and everything...

good luck TTC!

CPST
#3 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Hey there! I will be moving to South Bend (my hometown) in a few months. We'll be on sabbatical there for 15 months and then move back to Connecticut. I'm pregnant and due in August and need to find an OB/midwife. So far I've only been given recs for Houser/Norborg and OB/GYN Associates, both of which have gotten negative comments here so I thought I'd bump this thread. I think I'd prefer an OB, but one who isn't going to push an agenda. I prefer a female and so far the recs I've gotten are for rotating practices with mostly males. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Helene
#4 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'll let you know how Women's Reproductive Medicine goes. I have my first appointment there on Thursday. I've since found out that a friend of mine saw the male OB there (can't remember his name), and she LOVED him. It makes me a bit nervous, though, since she was given an epidural as soon as she walked in the door, then had to be induced several hours later. I'm not sure I can blame the doctor, though, since she admittedly has a very low pain tolerance and wanted the epidural as soon as possible.

I decided to see a midwife and not an OB, but I'll let you know what my impressions are after my appointment. I can say that after they found out I had a miscarriage from my last pregnancy, they got me in for an appointment sooner than their standard 10 weeks. She also said I'd probably be scheduled for an ultrasound the day after my appointment, just so they can confirm that my baby is growing (blighted ovum last time). So far, the staff has seemed very helpful and willing to work with my concerns.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#5 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Thanks! Please do let me know! I appreciate it.
#6 of 15 Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM

I used Midwifery of Michiana in Mishawaka for my 2nd pregnancy. They were really wonderful -- very supportive of anything that I wanted, or didn't want, and very laid back and low key. And very very friendly as well. They are paired with a OB, Kelly McGuire who they will refer you to if you are high risk. But they only deliver at St. Joe, which frankly, I prefer to Memorial, but that's just me.

In that group, Mary and Rachael are the best for the more natural bent. Jan is more medical.

For a regular OB, I hear the Cerbin at the South Bend Clinic Granger is very good.

Mom to DD #1 9/19/04, DD#2 11/15/06 and expecting a little one 11/2/12. joy.gif

#7 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my first appointment went really well. I didn't walk out feeling like what I wanted for my birth experience was strange or that my wants would be overruled by my OB. THAT was nice

I saw Elizabeth, the nurse practitioner. She explained to me that the office is committed to having my birth go the way I want it to go, not the way they think it should go (unless medically necessary, of course). She emphasized that you can birth in any position you want, including a water birth, and you aren't confined to bed. They have water birth jacuzzis at Memorial, which was a surprise to me. I don't know that I want a water birth, but laboring in a jacuzzi sounds very relaxing to me... Elizabeth also made a point of saying that pregnancy is a natural state and that women are designed to birth babies. I got a handout with their epidural rate (32%), c/s rate, and a few other stats about the office. They do not routinely give episiotomies, continuously monitor the baby during labor, adminster IVs, etc.

Overall, I feel like it's a good fit for me. Very different from my experience over at OB-GYN Associates, where I felt like I was going to be pumped full of drugs or forced to submit to things I didn't want/need.

Elizabeth scheduled me for an early ultrasound on Monday to make sure everything is going as expected. I can post more thoughts after that.

Hope this helped!

#8 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks so much for reporting back! And thanks Hoosier Mommy as well!
#9 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Just thought I'd update that I decided to go with a midwife and I've made an appt with Women's Reproductive Health in May after we arrive in SB. If I don't get responses to this here I'll start a separate thread, but I was wondering if anyone also had any pediatrician recommendations? We didn't delay vacs much with my almost 2-year-old daughter, but we did wait until a bit later to do the MMR. I'd prefer to go to a doc willing to talk about such things and who's open to my asking questions and not thinking I'm whacko. Thanks!
#10 of 15 Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm jumping in here kind of late, but I wanted to say that I concur that the midwife (only one right now?) at Women's Reproductive Medicine is a very good option if you want a hospital birth. I worked there for a year before I opened my home birth practice. Because of politics, the practice isn't "allowed" to advertise that it has midwives, so I call it "South Bend's best kept secret." And Kristin really does what she says she will do: water birth, intermittent monitoring, position changes, aromatherapy, music therapy... It's important to find out whether the practitioner practices what she preaches.

I don't know much about Midwives of Michiana, but I would say that Memorial is more mother- and baby-friendly than St. Joe Med Center, based on observation after a couple of recent transports.

Another group that is worth checking into is the Fairhaven OB/Gyn group in Goshen. They have a free-standing birth center as well as privileges at Goshen General Hospital, which is also an excellent place to have a baby.

I wish you all the best in your pregnancy and birth.
#11 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 AM

hi all,

just doing a bit of research from afar.  i came across this thread on a google search for 'midwife south bend'.  my wife and i are planning on moving to south bend around march 2012 (though quite a lot still needs to fall into place).  she's due towards the end of may, and we're hoping/planning to have the delivery in south bend.

we're wondering if the details noted in this thread still hold true (since the most recent posts, as far as i could tell, are still a few years old), or if there is updated info somewhere.  we haven't yet decided what we'd like, but we're probably leaning towards a midwife, and either a home birth or birthing centre, if all goes well.  should we just follow the advice already noted, or is new info available?

thanks

#12 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 AM

I know this thread is from a couple of years ago, but I am looking now for a new OB provider. I was with Midwifery of Michiana and they seemed to have disappeared. I had a fantastic natural birth with my first pregnancy and LOVED St. Joe hospital. However, I went to schedule an appointment and got an voicemail that they are no longer providing service. 

My insurance only covers St. Joe network before your pregnant. I am not currently pregnant but am trying to conceive. I want a midwife, but the only one in the St. Joe network that I can find is in Goshen. I should not have to drive to Goshen! South Bend is not exactly a small city! 

My insurance does allow me to birth at either hospital, so I could use Memorial and their midwives, but I would really like to try and stay and have all my children born at the same hospital. Is that weird? 

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a natural minded Dr in the St Joe network and if anyone has heard what happened to Midwifery of Michiana? Where did they go? I can't believe I didn't get a phone call or a letter.

I currently had my regular check up with Dr. Bazger OB Speciaists of St. Joe. I guess she is naturally minded but she seemed a little young and with not much experience. Has anyone had a baby with her or know more about her. 

Thanks!

#13 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM

I just came into this thread too. I think we may need to start a new one since this one is about 5 years old. 

#14 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm not pregnant again yet, but we're planning on it. I went to OB/GYN Associates for my first pregnancy and after 20 weeks, I was very discouraged by their "clinical" and "impersonal" approach to prenatal care. I found Lynn McDonald, CNM and she gave me the rest of prenatal care. Unfortunately, she was unable to deliver our baby, because I went into labor when my baby was still breech, so I had an emergency c-section. Either way, she has retired since, so the only option that I know of is the Goshen midwives and a Goshen birthing center. I would like to hear more on this thread from others as I'm also looking at options!!

#15 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

I'm not sure of all the detials,but St Joe's Midwifery program is no more, however one of their former midwives has joined the midwife at "Women's Reproductive Medicine" in the Navarre building.  They only deliver at Memorial hospital, but that hospital overall is very mother-baby friendly.  The nurses aren't freaked out by women who want a natural labor and things like mom holding baby skin-to-skin right after delivery instead of going to the warmer are normal and expected.  The labor nurses are great, willing to work with women and they have lots of breat feeding support.  Both the midwives at WRM are very good.  My sister and sister-in-laws have used this group and are very happy.  As an aside the women doctor mentioned there has left that office as of 2-1-2012.  But all the good people mentioned above are still there.

For home birth I have some experience personally and though family with Laura Gilbert, a home birth only midwife in Goshen.  She will drive into South Bend for deliveries and does a good job.

In this area we also have a number of family doctors that do ob and deliveries.  Like midwives they don't do c-sections themselves and I have found them to be very patient in labor and flexible for the most part on things like monitoring and bith position.  None of them will push you to get an epidural if you don't want it.  However, few of them feel comfortable with water birth. If it is important to know who is going to do your delivery, the family docs would be a good option as they all come in and deliver their own patients (the midwives take call for eachother so you will see them both in the office and deliver with whoever is on call).  The other nice thing about delivering with a family doc is they can take care of baby too.  Several family docs with Memorial Medical Group and The South Bend clinic deliver babies (I don't know about St Joe).  Memorial has a number they call the "health professionals line" which can help you find the family docs that do OB. If you call the main hospital number and ask for the "health professionals" the operator can transfer you through (574-647-1000). 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page