Dayton Moms 2009 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 298 Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cool! I joined your group & requested you as a friend too.

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#272 of 298 Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM

I keep forgetting, I have a bunch of baby stuff to get rid off. Mainly clothes. I've got girly, boyish, & GN stuff from newborn to 18 months. Then a head support thingy for the carseat & a little bath tub. If anyone wants some of it let me know. It's just taking up space.

Gina ~
#273 of 298 Old 10-22-2009, 03:29 PM

We were just talking about stuff like that on the PAL board.

I have so much stuff, I hopefully will be able to outfit this baby be it a boy or a girl.

I just need to get a newborn picture outfit (aka take home outfit if hospital delivery).
#274 of 298 Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 PM

Hi there

I havent been on MDC in months, and wanted to reintroduce myself.. My name is Maria, MaMa to 4 great kiddos, live in Xenia.. Hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful day today!
#275 of 298 Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Gina ~
#276 of 298 Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonshine View Post
Gina, we just started this last year taking the boys to Dr Duvall after getting some rec's on here. She is ok with non-vaxing. Not sure about bf or hb as we are out of that stage but she may be worth checking out.

Apple orchards - Iron's Fruit Farm in Lebanon has pick your own. Good apple cider and donuts there too! I'm not sure they are organic though.
We see Dr. Beth Duvall AND LOVE HER! She is very hb/nonvax/anything crunchy friendly. We were all of the above and also not very interested in a million "regular checkups".
#277 of 298 Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyGina View Post
I keep forgetting, I have a bunch of baby stuff to get rid off. Mainly clothes. I've got girly, boyish, & GN stuff from newborn to 18 months. Then a head support thingy for the carseat & a little bath tub. If anyone wants some of it let me know. It's just taking up space.
did you check and see if any of the holiday helper's families could use anything?

and welcome back maria!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#278 of 298 Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 PM

I didn't even think of that! I ended up Freecycling all of them.

Gina ~
#279 of 298 Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 PM

anyone a YMCA member? how much is it? which do you go to? I hear it's based on income?

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#280 of 298 Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM

kriket, there's a fee chart on their site. You can try to apply for a scholarship too.
#281 of 298 Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
anyone a YMCA member? how much is it? which do you go to? I hear it's based on income?
We are YMCA members. Family of 5, I think the $25,000-$50,000 income bracket. With taxes we pay about $50 a month.

But the YMCA is always willing to work with families, and has scholarships available to help reduce the cost of membership and costs of programs (ie preschool, swimming, soccer, etc).

Forgot to mention we go to the KLEPTZ in Englewood. My kids love their indoor play area. We also go to the Point Preschool through them as well.
#282 of 298 Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 AM

I went to the site and it says to call, I just have to find time to call! What kind of scholarships do they offer?

#283 of 298 Old 11-03-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Don't forget to vote today!
#284 of 298 Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I went to the site and it says to call, I just have to find time to call! What kind of scholarships do they offer?
I am not sure about all the scholarships, but I know for two years we got reduced tuition to the pre-school. we trying it without assistance this year.

the scholarships can be for reduced price membership, help reduce or cover the costs of programs/classes (ie swimming lessons, soccer, baseball, football, etc.)

I think we paid $75 registration fee, in $25 installment payments over 3 months, and with taxes around $55 a month for a family of 5 with no financial assistance/scholarship.
#285 of 298 Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 PM

MoMaria- if you are around, I have a question Do you think you or Geneva could show me how to nurse in a sling? I have an appointment the 18th of this month. I also need someone to maybe take a look at my pump, it's making weird noises I am probably going to be WOH for a while longer and need that sucker to last! I was really hoping that I could use it for more than one kid. I need to just check out an LLL meeting but can't seem to get my schedule coordinated. Last time I was there Geneva was out sick so I'm hoping one of you will be there. 80% of the reason I applied for WIC was you guys!

I hope you're around, If not I'll be in anyways here soon!

#286 of 298 Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Krikit - I am not a LLL or IBLIC, but I have tons of experience nursing children in a sling (3 kids worth). I would be more than willing to help. But I am getting over a cold/sinus issue right now, if you still need it in a day or two.

It is not that hard. Hardest part is getting the sling adjusted to the right fit while nursing for me. (Ali nurses sitting up in hers right now, so I always have to make it a bit tighter than it should be, so she gets up a bit higher.)

I can try to describe how I do it...

I put the sling on, and put the baby in. I then get baby latched on, while holding baby/sling. Once latch is good and baby is going, I use one of my free hands to tight the sling to where baby is up where s/he needs to be. I think, because I am paranoid about it, usually just keep my arm on the side baby is laying under/around the baby patting/rubbing its back through the sling.
#287 of 298 Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 PM

ahh, I have been trying to fit the baby to the sling. I need to try fitting the sling to the baby. :facepalm: He also doesn't like fabric on his head, I haven't tried in a while maybe he grew out of that.

#288 of 298 Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Geneva is making slings for WIC folks and teaching parents how to use them. I think she does it once a month. Call her and she will help you out for sure.

Geneva (937) 256-8367

Here is a link for all the LLL groups in the area.
http://www.lllohio.org/groups/dayton.html
#289 of 298 Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
ahh, I have been trying to fit the baby to the sling. I need to try fitting the sling to the baby. :facepalm: He also doesn't like fabric on his head, I haven't tried in a while maybe he grew out of that.
Mine didn't like it either, so what I ended up doing was pulling their head out and holding their head till they feel asleep and unlactched. Then i could put their head back in the sling with no problem.
#290 of 298 Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Sledding information:

I know of about 3 areas locally for sledding.

1) The hill at Wright Brothers Memorial on the back side of the base. Not sure how much it will have because of the trees on the hill.

2) Triangle Park - this is great. Usually someone builds a fire in a big barrel and all the kids will swap sleds and play with each other and help each other going up and down the hill. Everyone we have ever encountered there is really nice. Only disadvantage is that there is a fence that some of the smaller kids who go far can hit into.

3) Taylorsville Damn area I believe also has a sledding hill. Or it maybe the Englewood Damn area. Never been to either.
#291 of 298 Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 AM

khaoskat
Did you go sledding? I think we make a trip out in the AM Should be fun!
#292 of 298 Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 PM

No, we didn't make it sledding with the snow a few days ago. We also didn't make it today, because we have been down at Great Wolf Lodge doing much needed family time. Although I will say that I need a vacation. Three kids can keep you running between floors on the MagiQuest game and all around the water park. The only time they sat down was to play in the cub club.
#293 of 298 Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Hey All! I am very new to this. I have never joined an online community or posted anything, so I have nooooooo idea how all this works.
My name is Tiffany and my husband and I are expecting our first baby March 1st.
Currently we are searching for a Family Practice to welcome the little one, but overall we are looking for a Dr. that has more of a wellness approach and that is laxed on their vaccine policy. We are likely NOT vaccinating our children and I don't want to be deemed as an abusive parent by our Dr. for doing such.
Does anyone have any reccommendations? We live in the Dayton area - Wilberforce to be exact, so Beavercreek area is ideal, but I am willing to travel.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!!
Tiff
#294 of 298 Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Hi Tiff,

The ladys here (MDC and the Dayton moms thread) all have wonderful advice. and congratulation on the little one! My little man was born 4.24 so if you need hand me downs

We take DS to Ohio Pediatrics in Kettering. They have CNM! We don't vax and at the one where they start the vaxes they gave us the token, here's a pamphlet on why you should. Other then that no problems. Also, we have never had a problem with any of the DRs retracting my son. Ohio Pedi takes caresource.

I birthed with the Nurse MWs at Good sam, they were totally amazing!

#295 of 298 Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Hi Tiffany:

The only Ped group in Beavercreek I am familiar with is Pediatric Associates of Dayton. I know we specifically see on Ped there unless it is an emergency visit, as we have had issues in the past with others in the group. Although, the majority that practice at the BC office we have not had problems with.

I know we have had pressure in the past about Vaxing. We opted a few times to wait to get the recommended Vaxes, because the DC were either not feeling well at a visit or were just getting over something. We did get a bit of the "It wont hurt them to go ahead right now". Although, with the last CNP visit for DD2 we opted to wait on a few of the vaxes because of the live virus they contained and my MIL not being able to be around the children for 2-3 weeks afterwards, and got no real problems from the CNP.

We have almost had all positive reactions to nursing and extended nursing. Again, there was one exception, and s/he is generally not at that office. Even when DS1 had issues we were highly encouraged to continue nursing while working on the issues and only suppliment with formula when DS1 was still hungry after nursing and after what little expressed milk I had on hand. They never forced us to switch to formula like many places probably would have.

Again, as with any practice, each person is going to have their own experience and opinions based upon those. So, my best advice would be to make your list of what you are looking for in a Ped, and take the recommendations from her and talk to each of them.

Good luck.
#296 of 298 Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Hi Tiffany:

The only Ped group in Beavercreek I am familiar with is Pediatric Associates of Dayton.
There is also Primed. I had a poor experience there with bad advice about "supplementing" with formula before my milk came in.

#297 of 298 Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM

Welcome Tiffany!

Gina ~
#298 of 298 Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks all! I will look into both places

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page