Friendly VBA2C Doc/MW Grand Rapids, MI???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of a VBA2C friendly doc or midwife around the GR area??? I'd be willing to do some traveling also! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM

Have you check out Yolanda Visser?

http://birthpartners.com/ls-1-17-1-1...ed_States.aspx
#3 of 16 Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 AM

It's a bit of a drive, but the Green House Birth Center in Okemos (near East Lansing) does VBA2Cs -- I had mine there & it was amazing!
#4 of 16 Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 AM

I would personally choose home birth or driving to the Greenhouse...

But if you are wanting a hospital birth, try Perinatalogy at Spectrum with Dr. Cook and Ziedema. A midwife friend here in Kalamazoo has transferred some VBA2C patients up there.
#5 of 16 Old 02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
elf

Doctors that deliver at spectrum that are vbac friendly and natural birth friendly....that I know of:
Dr luce
Dr brant
Dr taber
Dr vandeburg
Dr bolin-richards
Dr Olson
Dr leary

Midwives that might be VBAC friendly:
brenda daniels
amy anstett
#6 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! I contacted one Doctor and he seems totally fine with what I want to do, I just hope his mind doesn't change towards the end. But if he does then I will just have to change again!
#7 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM

So glad you found someone you're comfortable with. If I were you I would read through the vbac forums a bit to find some questions to ask the dr. so you don't end up with any nasty surprises. A few that come to mind:

1. do you insist on inducing?
2. how far past my due date do you "allow?"
3. what is your opinion on size of baby w/regard to safety of delivery (i.e., is he going to tell you your baby is 8 lbs. and that you have to induce "now.").
4. can you move around in labor or do you "have" to have the monitors strapped to you while you lay/recline in bed?

hth!
#8 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I found a supportive OB but I am still contemplating on having a home birth. I am more scared of stepping foot inside of a hospital right now. I feel like this is my last chance to get it right. Thanks for those questions I will write them down and ask him. I met with a few doctors, and this doctor was the only one who never questioned my research, never gave me any scare tactics about uterine rupture. He just said "seems like your very well informed" and "If you do decide to go with me I will personally have to be at your delivery becuase I don't want my partners to be uncomfortable with your situation." I thought that this sounds great but I know I need to have a game plan in mind in case he changes his mind on me lase minute.
#9 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Laureng22K..just wanted to find out if you ever decided on a VBAC2C doc in GR area. I am looking for one too. I think I may have found one in Lansing area, but in case..could you please advise on who you went with. Thanks.
#10 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM

I know this is old, but I wanted to say that I LOVE Laura Slater in GR. She has attended 2 of my home births, and she is fantastic. She travels a long way, too, fwiw.
#11 of 16 Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 AM

hmm will check her out..Laura Slater..
#12 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM

All of the GR mws are great. You really can't go wrong with a homebirth in GR. You can find contact information on this website. Scroll down through all the midwives to find the homebirth midwives.

http://grandrapids.michigannaturalpa...tid=9&blogid=3

As for vbac docs, there are a few, but the problem is that their partners aren't necessarily supportive. And hospitals are becoming more anti-vbac by the minute here, and the VBAC supportive docs are getting frustrated by the obstacles put up by hospitals. It is really

These are probably the only Drs. I'd feel comfortable with (by reputation, I haven't used them personally) in GR if I was going to set foot in the hospital. (Well, there's also my family practitioner that caught ds1, but I don't know if she can do VBACs). But I would make sure they would be willing to come in for me even if they're not on call.

Dr. Wolfe
Dr. Taylor (actually out of Zeeland, I believe)

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#13 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Do you know if Dr. Taylor is non-vax friendly? I think I am going to be looking for a new dr. soon. I am in Holland, and would love to find someone knowledgable about BFing, non-vaxing, etc. Thanks!
#14 of 16 Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM

I know this is old but when I was looking to deliver at Spectrum the ONLY dr that would take me for a VBA2C was Dr. Anderson-Zetye. She is an awsome Dr. and really treated me like an educated individual. I couldn't be happier with her prenatal. Unfortunately she was out of the country during the birth.

I am editing to say that a lot of Dr.s in GR are VBAC friendly and not VBA2C, so you really have to be careful how you ask your questions. Also, I'd like to add that Dr. Anderson was the only Dr. who personally called me back to answer my questions. I thought that was just awesome since every nurse I talked to had their own opinion on vbac that they liked to voice.
#15 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I'd also like to invite anyone looking for resources and information to join the Michigan Natural Parenting Forum. We have a very active GR group with lots of information and support, including a lot of homebirthers.

http://www.michigannaturalparenting.com/community

Once you get 10 posts in the public section of the board (a policy to avoid spamers and robo-posters), the whole board opens up, including a regional Grand Rapids board.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#16 of 16 Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM

I know this post is old, but I feel that I have to comment about the recommendation of Dr. Taylor in Zeeland.  If you value you and your baby's lives PLEASE DO NOT GO TO HIM!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page