Cheapest diapers in SE MI? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New mom in SE MI coming up this February. I have a question about diapers: Where are you getting yours? I don't know if I should go to Walmart, join Costco, some place else?
Thanks
#2 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM

I use sposies and I watch slickdeals and baby cheapskate for good deals, stock up on coupons on just pick them up when I see them. My son used Pampers, but we also liked the Krogers in emergencies. My daughter's in 7th generation and I got a big box from Amazon during the last sale, but I have also found them at Big Lots for $8 a pack.
#3 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM

I save money (and resources) by using cloth

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#4 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So did we. And there are plenty of sources locally for cloth, as well.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#5 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#6 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought about cloth diapers before. I always assumed it would be more expensive. I'm not sure where to get them to be honest. Do you get a service or just clean your own?
#7 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Cloth can be as expensive as you want to make it. The least expensive way to go is flat folds (basically 17" sqaures that you do oragami on to make them fit your particular baby's butt EXACTLY right, they clean the best, dry the fastest and cost the least amount of money). Prefolds cost a little more, with less folding to do. Fitteds cost a little more than those, but have elastic at the back and the legs, like a sposie (disposable diaper) would, so they hold in breastmilk poop really well, and you have to wash your covers less often. Then you jump quite a bit in cost with pocket and all in one diapers. The pocket diapers are the cover and liner in one piece and the "soaker" or part you put in the middle to catch the mess in the other piece. They wash better than all in ones, but you always have to wash the cover, because it's part of the "system," so you pay more for the diapers AND wash the entire thing every time...and then there are all in ones, which are grand for going out, or for babysitters or in-laws who refuse to use cloth diapers. BUT they are wayy more expensive, as the entire thing is all in one bundle, just like a disposable diaper. They also tend to be harder to get thoroughly clean, and take a LOT longer to dry in the dryer...

There are a few places you can take a look at diapers in the area. I know somebody who makes fitteds (pretty cute ones...)and flats and sells prefolds, and there are a couple of brick and morter stores (in Ann Arbor& Novi) and luving mama diapers, which I believe is on line, but I think she lives in the Troy area.

The best suggestion is to try a few of each kind of diaper and a few of each kind of covers (go to the diapering forum for more info on covers), and see what fits your baby's butt best before you buy any one system. You will find that some combination works best for you, and every combo that works best is different for every family.

Especially if you plan to have more kids, you will save money by buying and using cloth.

We washed our own, which is basically the least expensive way to go, as long as you own your own washer and dryer. However there is at least one, I think possibly two diaper services in our area now (hooray!!!there were none for decades), if you wanted to go that way. What I appreciate about washing your own is that you never run out of diapers, really...I never had to send my husband to the store in the middle of the night for diapers, or have him stop on his way home from work either, because everything I needed was right there. I am a little neurotic, though, and had enough prefolds so that if I had the flu for a week I wouldn't have to have somebody come over to do diapers, you know? I ended up using fitteds with my second, but always had those prefolds to fall back on if I needed them.

Don't worry, either, you don't have to keep a pail fulll of cold water to soak them in, you don't have to rinse them in the toilet, and you DON'T have to use pins anymore! Our diapers are nothing like the old rubber pants with pins that our moms used!!

Welcome to MDC...you might find LOTS of interesting things like this to chew on!

DO visit the diapering forum, and ask more questions there about diapering...but beware...it can be addictive to buy "fluff!" Again, though...cloth diapering can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you want it to be or need it to be.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM

It is a bigger upfront investment, but you will definitely save money over the long run. There is a huge cloth diapering forum here at MDC where you can get tons of info. There are a few brick and mortar stores in the area that carry them. Baby Bliss in Northville and Tree City Diapers in Ann Arbor. I think a green baby store just opened in downtown Rochester that probably has them. It's nice to talk to someone in person and see the different kinds (there are SOOOOO many different kinds ) and have someone explain them to you, the pros and cons, etc.

That said, your best bet is to buy them used (if it doesn't gross you out ). You can find them on the trading post here, at the diaper swappers website, even on ebay and craigslist.

When I was looking a few years ago I couldn't find a service in the area, although that may have changed. We have always just washed ours .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#9 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineMom View Post
I never thought about cloth diapers before. I always assumed it would be more expensive. I'm not sure where to get them to be honest. Do you get a service or just clean your own?
Depending where you are at in SE MI there is a CD group out of the Toledo area that meets once a month. They have a Yahoo group and the leaders can be found in the Toledo area thread. Lately a few members of the group have been discussing trying to organize a group stash members can "rent" (sorry cannot think of another word for it) out so you can try various types but nothing has happened yet with that but that would be a good place to try if they get it together here soon.

Also, in the Toledo area they ususally have a multi-family baby sale where several Mamas were selling their CDs and covers but that is only like twice a yr so you have to watch for it on the Toledo thread.

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#10 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM

We do a mix of cloth and sposies.

I buy 7th generation on amazon prime for I think 34.98 for a pack of 4. Thats a pretty decent price. The 4 pack lasts me 2-3 months with a mix of cloth. I dig it - it shows up at my house because its a subscription and I dont have to watch for sales or print coupons.

You gotta do what works for you and your family. Some people LOVE cloth and think its awesome and others the idea of one more piece of laundry in a household where you struggle to keep dishes out of the sink and to have clean socks/underwear in your own drawers -it doesnt work.

Good Luck to you

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#11 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
gun

I picked up some of the best deals for cloth diapers on craigslist!! Ebay doesn't allow the sale of used cloth diapers anymore, only new.

Peace- Heather
#12 of 24 Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM

If you decide to go with sposies, and live near a Meijer, try Natural Choice diapers. They're only $9.00/pkg which is a few $'s cheaper than I've ever been able to find 7th Gen.
If you're interested in trying cloth, there is a thread on the LLL boards where you can sign up to be in the newborn cloth rotation. All you have to do is send the stash to the next one in the rotation when you're done.
Jill

Jill,
: Wife to Steven, step-mom to Peter, mom to Noah, Oliver, Linus, and 2 in heaven.
#13 of 24 Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM

I just sold off a huge lot of motherease one size dipes on Craigs list!
I also have hosted the Natural living multi-family sale and swap here in Toledo with great success. Let meknow if you need more info about the next one.

Shelly DeMeo Birth Doula/Educator, Massage Therapist, Birth Assistant, Echo Tech, Future CPM! Mom to Dylan (6/03) and Sage Aria (1/06).
#14 of 24 Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM

For sposies I found Aldis has diapers for cheap and work great. They are their brand and only cost $5.99 a pack. I used to use cloth full time but I have started to use sposies sometimes.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#15 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM

CLOTH RULES!! WOOT!! : : :

hehe, I didn't have anything substantial to add to what has already written. Cloth is can be about a $2000 yearly savings.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#16 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean0216 View Post
If you decide to go with sposies, and live near a Meijer, try Natural Choice diapers. They're only $9.00/pkg which is a few $'s cheaper than I've ever been able to find 7th Gen.
I *think* when I bought a package of 7th Gen at Big Lots once months ago they were around $8 there!

So try Big Lots too.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#17 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 PM

There are also some mom's at some of the local LLL meetings who use cloth and are GREAT resources as well! Welcome to SE MI!
I didn't cloth my DS till 4 months old. After I saw all these other mom's at LLL doing it and thought "man I want to do that too!"

- And yes, I've heard some of the Big Lots have had great deals on 7th Gen diapers

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#18 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean0216 View Post
Thanks for the review. I was curious about them, since I can't always find 7th gen cheaply and can't CD.
#19 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 PM

You know, I have yet to find something that I've tried that was meijer brand organic or natural that I haven't been more than happy with. And you really can't beat the price!!

#20 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
You know, I have yet to find something that I've tried that was meijer brand organic or natural that I haven't been more than happy with. And you really can't beat the price!!

I second this I LOVE! I LOVE Meijer.And their list of Organic goods just keeps growing!I also like to keep my money in Michigan.
#21 of 24 Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
OT, but what do you think about their natural dish soap? It's the first I've tried, so I have nothing to compare it to but regular dish soap.

Also, I think their salsa is incredible, and that's saying a lot because I normally make my own!
#22 of 24 Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM

You know, I haven't tried their dish soap. I used Ecover for a LONG time, then I started using the trader joe's brand, and now I've been using the costco brand, which works REALLY well. If you try it let me know what you think!

#23 of 24 Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Does Costco have a natural dish soap? We're members but we don't get there often. My mom does though and she could pick it up for me if it was worth it.....
#24 of 24 Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Yup. It's in something like a gallon sized bottle. Last I bought some, it was in a cream colored bottle with an orange-ish cap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page