Cincinnati Birthing Options - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, everyone. I grew up in Cincinnati, and my husband is exploring an opportunity that might send me back there to live, now as a mommy.
I've been living in Maryland, and I've had a wonderful CNM for one hospital birth, and 2 homebirths.

From what I'm reading, I won't be able to have a homebirth that will be attended by anyone legalized by the state, is that correct? My sister in law claims the hospitals there are more natural than where I am, and I am trying to get a feel of what possibilities there are.

There is no birthing center, is there?
What hospitals are recommended if I choose to go that route? Can I have an intervention-free experience (no IV, no routine anything, just let me do my thing and get out.)? Are there hospital based CNMs available?

I'm getting so nervous that if we move there I will be miserable when having my next one (whenever that will be!)

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM

The closest Birth Center is located in Dayton Ohio at Miami Valley Hospital. In addition to their normal L&D building, they have an area that is set up just for "natural birth". There are three birthing suits with the ability to give birth in the water. There are nurses who staff the unit that are dedicated to helping women labor without any interventions. It is a totally different staff from the main L&D area. There are some wonderful doctors and there are also some CNM's who deliver there.

It is true that Ohio has not legalized CPMs or DEM's. But they can be found. The one birth center in Cinci closed several years ago, and was free standing, due to loss of OB back up support.

I do not know what the birth climate is like in Cinci, but I do believe there is a Cinci based attachment parenting group that has or used to have monthly meetings.

There are, CNM's in Cinci, but not sure who or where they deliver.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 AM

The homebirth community is strong with lots of Cincinnati mamas enjoying homebirths with competent, capable midwives.

CNMs only attend births in hospitals. The Cincinnati medical community is not crunchy or natural - of course this is relative to one's experiences.

Searching Yahoo groups for Cincinnati homebirth, attachment parenting, etc is a great place to start!

You can learn more about the state of homebirth in Ohio at www.safebirthohio.org
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've been known to have precipitous labors, and really would prefer not being in a car for 45 minutes in labor!! Dayton doesn't sound like a good option for me

No intervention free CNMs who could just deliver me in a hospital and sign me out?

Do the CPM/DEMs carry medications that CNMs do like Pitocin/methergine? Excessive postpartum bleeding is a concern in my case.
Also I assume they don't work in conjunction with OBs. If I needed a referral as I did this last pregnancy for a pregnancy complication, what would happen? Are there any natural minded OBs? Don't get me wrong, I convince almost everyone to use midwives, and I dread the thought of giving up homebirths, but I want a fuller picture so I can make educated decisions before rushing into a new "obstetric relationship" -- even where I am, I changed practitioners 3 times before I delivered my first, and I really prefer not to have to go through that again
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=imnottelling;13225887] Are there any natural minded OBs? QUOTE]

Daniel Bowen. He delivers at Mercy in Fairfield and Bethesda in Montgomery. While I have not been to him personally, I have many friends that have. They all sing his praises-repeatedly. If I had not decided on the birthing center in Dayton, I would have gone with him.

Sarah
Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Depending on where you are going to live, Dayton may not be looking as far as you think. If you move to northern suburbs: West Chester, Liberty Twp. the drive to Miami Valley is not that bad and due to traffic at some times of the day can be actually quicker than driving thru Cincinnati. From Liberty Twp. my drive was 35 minutes. And Familly Beginnings there is really wonderful, and so was the OB that I went with.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Seconding Dr Bowen for OB care. There are plenty of CNM's that deliver in hospital, but honestly, if you go the hospital route, I'd go with Bowen.
Otherwise, there are several CPMs who do homebirths and do have unofficial relationships with area OB's.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'd be living in the Golf Manor/Amberley/Roselawn area....
This is sounding more and more depressing
I assume with the CPMs you'd have to pay out of pocket? Or insurance covered some not knowing what was going on? What were the fees like? Right now I get total coverage for a homebirth, and money is tight by me.
How hard was it to register a birth certificate? Did you need a state nurse to do a home visit? (Where I live, the mothers who choose to use CPMs are harassed trying to give up the name. It's awful.)
I'm not sure where my sister delivers -- maybe Good Samaritan? -- but she has an easy enough time. But she doesn't mind staying in the hospital afterwards. She ignores everything beforehand as much as possible, but doesn't mind staying after. I hate hospitals. You can't get discharged AMA? None of the CNMs are naturally minded?

To those who PMed me, thank you. I'll respond if I find out we indeed are moving there and need more info. Right now I'm trying to get a feel. I'm really not optimistic though
Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 PM

I am having a homebirth (hopefully in the next week!) in Cincinnati. Dr. Bowen is our backup. He has been joked to be a midwife with MD after his name. I feel very comfortable going to the hospital with him if I need to transfer. He is wonderful! He is very supportive of homebirth and works well with CPMs in the area.

I'm not too familiar with hospitals that would be more or less friendly to natural birth other than UC where a friend is in nursing school. When she did her nursing rotation in OB, the nurses there instructed her to get the "natural" moms on drugs ASAP because they are much easier to manage.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM

I've heard great things about Dr Bowen.

I'm having a homebirth with a CPM here in cincinnati in august. I know there's at least one other midwife in the area, as well as some in Kentucky. The midwife I'm seeing we paid around $2000 for. (Yay tax refund) ... for comparison, my homebirth in upstate NY cost $4000.

married to my best friend, stillheart.gif britt, since 8.12.2004 ...homeschooling mama to my girls: avi born 8.3.05, my ryan leanor 1.5.08, azia 9.2.09, and #4 a BOY! due in november 2011.  homebirth.jpg

Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrayray View Post
I've heard great things about Dr Bowen.

I'm having a homebirth with a CPM here in cincinnati in august. I know there's at least one other midwife in the area, as well as some in Kentucky. The midwife I'm seeing we paid around $2000 for. (Yay tax refund) ... for comparison, my homebirth in upstate NY cost $4000.
I'm just so down on reverting back to an OB, especially a male one, just because of stupid LAWS. If medical need, ok...but politicians have no right to dictate my birthing options, KWIM?
And right now my husband is not keen on using a non-legally approved midwife since he's afraid a necessary transfer might be delayed out of fear of getting caught. I'm so torn, but I really have time to worry since 1)the position he's aiming for (which the director has been pursuing him for) isn't necessarily open this coming year (hooray for economic woes...) and 2)I'm not pregnant. But this is still very worrisome to me as birth is a major part of my life -- I think I would have a hard time getting over lack of control in a hospital setting if I didn't feel it was necessary. Even my smooth, intervention free hospital birth causes me some flashback distress when I think of how things should have been done differently...I know it's wrong to focus on such things, but I had 2 wonderful homebirths and I would like to continue doing my births like that if possible, but I don't want that to impede my husband's dream position....

Financially, Cincy is definitely cheaper than more eastern states (and the west coast). I'm posting from here right now (visiting family) But where I come from, insurance paid for my entire homebirth (save an assistant fee -- $500-$650), so even 2K is a major dent.

I have at least 9 months I suppose for CPMs to be legally acknowledged
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM

I think many of the midwifes (CPM) around this area do not worry about getting caught if someone needs to transfer. Homebirth and CPM's are not legal and they are not illegal in the State of Ohio.

Where I am from, many of them have a good relationship with a few OB's, who will provide shadow/back up care in case of transfer.

I know I am not pregnant right now, and we live about 45 minutes North of Cinci, but I will have my next child at home and will also shadow care with an OB. The main reason for shadow care is to prevent ill informed family from causing problems and if I have to transfer or have another c/s, then I want my OBs to be the ones to do it.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
I'm just so down on reverting back to an OB, especially a male one, just because of stupid LAWS. If medical need, ok...but politicians have no right to dictate my birthing options, KWIM?
And right now my husband is not keen on using a non-legally approved midwife since he's afraid a necessary transfer might be delayed out of fear of getting caught.
My midwife told me that if I want to use Dr Bowen as a backup, he's totally cool with homebirth and would be a backup doc for me if I had to transfer. I'm not worried about transferring, and I don't even have insurance at all right now so I didn't get in touch with him. But it's good to know that I COULD get him and that he is pro-homebirth if I needed him...

Also, CPM's are kinda a-legal, no illegal but not protected officially in ohio either. The CPM's I know don't seem to worry about getting "caught" but they don't volunteer their info publicly either. I'm hoping to become a CPM in a few years, when my youngest daughter is done nursing and doesn't need me around 24/7.

married to my best friend, stillheart.gif britt, since 8.12.2004 ...homeschooling mama to my girls: avi born 8.3.05, my ryan leanor 1.5.08, azia 9.2.09, and #4 a BOY! due in november 2011.  homebirth.jpg

Old 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ohio won't prosecute if they find a midwife doing homebirths without the license (CNM) they approve of? Like has happened in other states? I assumed that's why this thread is so hush-hush about names
I'm currently in MD, and the situation is the same there...my CNM's name is out there, but the CPMs are under the radar because there have been stories of prosecution.
I hate the way America views childbirth :
Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 PM

I just had a VBAC delivery with Dr. Bowen at Mercy Fairfield, and I was so pleased I will sing it off the rooftops to anyone who will listen. He is an amazing doctor, and Mercy Fairfield has a wonderful staff. You can't go wrong with this option. They staff embraced my birthplan and encouraged my no-med delivery, and I am so grateful.

Heather

mom to 3 awesome little boys

www.mybluegrassbaby.com

Old 04-23-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Is he private? If someone chose to use him would they definitely get him at birth?

One OB whom I left was ok with me, but wasn't always on call. It's a good thing I switched at 39 weeks....the OB who was on call when I went into labor would have done a crash C on me for meconium (knowing his record) had I stuck with that practice instead of going to my midwife.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=imnottelling;13634189]Ohio won't prosecute if they find a midwife doing homebirths without the license (CNM) they approve of? Like has happened in other states? I assumed that's why this thread is so hush-hush about names QUOTE]

A midwife can be prosecuted in Ohio for practicing nursing or medicine without a license. A midwife was prosecuted in Butler County (between Cincinnati and Dayton) 1.5 years ago.

That said, Cincinnati is a surprisingly homebirth-friendly town - depending on the circle you play in. Dr. Bowen is a fantastic supporter of midwives and parents who choose homebirth. There are enough midwives that serve the Cincy area that you can interview and choose one. Yes, some midwives have access to the things that will help you during and post-birth.

Check out the Cincinnati Homebirth Network (look for their Yahoo group). The network offers monthly homebirth circles where you can talk with other homebirth families and get the scoop. And get involved with Ohio Families for Safe Birth (www.safebirthohio.org) if you think access to homebirth should be more transparent.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Yes, Dr Bowen is in a solo practice.

User Tag List