*The Spring Clothes Swap is coming, the Spring CLothes Swap is COMING!* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:

Hey, there, Ladies! Just thought I'd remind you that May isn't that far away, and that the Lake Orion Clothes Swap is May 28th. So, as you are sorting through those closets and drawers, keep a bag or a box in the back of the closet or under the bed to put the stuff you want to swap in till swap day!

It’s almost time for the Lake Orion Great Clothes Swap!!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 Christ the Redeemer Catholic Community, on the North Side of Waldon Road, between Baldwin and Joslyn Roads, in Lake Orion. Open between 10am and 7pm.

“What’s a clothes swap?” you might ask?

It’s FREE. It’s community in the best sense of the word. It’s neighbors helping one another. We bring what we have, and take what we need.

At home, we sort and fold clean clothes (clothes we wouldn’t mind putting on our family to go out in public) by size into boxes or bags. THEN, when we get to the swap, we sort the clothes by size onto marked tables. Next comes the fun part…

We go to the tables with the size clothes we are looking for…and take what we need. Free of charge. No strings attached. There are no minimums or maximums. Some families are looking to clean out the clothes they can no longer use, and they bring bags of clothes in--and sometimes just leave with one or two “special” things. Other families are really in need of clothes, and come with little or nothing, but leave with bags of clothes. Others bring what they took last season, for another family to take this time, and bring home another season‘s worth themselves to start the process again.

How can you participate? Look for clothes you might like to bring. Wash, fold, and sort them by size. Then call all of your friends and family and ask them to do the same…and come, singly or as a group, to the swap! Clothes swapping is even more fun when you can share your great finds with friends.

What sizes?: We take from preemie to size 16 in children’s clothes, as well as adult clothes.

When is it?: The Spring Swap is Thursday, May 28th, from 10:00 am until 7:00 pm

Where is it?: Christ the Redeemer Catholic Community. The address is 2700 Waldon Road, Lake Orion, 48360. We’re on theNorth side of Waldon, East of Baldwin Road. Come in the main doors and there will be signs to lead you from there.

Any more questions? PM courtenay_e

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#2 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, what a wonderful idea!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#3 of 24 Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

*grin* won't claim it as mine, but it does work really well. This particular swap typically has around 300 families who participate, so there are TONS of clothes to go around. I expect, as we are the worst economy in the union, to see more families this spring than ever.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 24 Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Is there a better time to get there? I actually have the day off this time.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#5 of 24 Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

I was just looking at the clothes box in our room a couple of days ago and wondering...when's the next clothes swap? Woohoo!
#6 of 24 Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Jennifer...it doesn't really have a "better time" clock-wise, anyway. It completely depends on when somebody gets there with the size and gender stuff you're looking for. It pretty much turns over alllll day, so my best recommendation would be to come early and stay late, and you're most likely to get the good stuff. Otherwise, just come when you can and stay as long as you (and your kids) can tolerate. This is one of the reasons I love running it, actually. I don't feel so bad "hanging around" and waiting for the sizes I'm looking for if I'm folding clothes and unloading bags.

#7 of 24 Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 PM

For those on the East side, Eastpointe has one coming up on April 22. I've never been before, but my friends and I have done this amongst ourselves. I plan to go to this one, too!

http://www.cityofeastpointe.net/events-clothingswap.pdf

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
#8 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
kinda bumping, kinda subbing so I can find this and not miss out!

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#9 of 24 Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the bump! I'll try to keep bumping it as the weeks go on, but help is appreciated.

#10 of 24 Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Come on OUT! Bring your friends!!

#11 of 24 Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM

I am going to make it this year with a few pairs of maternity jeans and a bunch of kids clothes

Emilee
#12 of 24 Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

AWESOME! See you there, Emily.

#13 of 24 Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just thinking about this and wondering if I missed it, yay, I didn't!:

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#14 of 24 Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping! Who is cleaning out their closets!? :

#15 of 24 Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

This is it, Ladies, the last weekend available to clean out closets, basements, and attics before Swap Day! :

#16 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Fay

I'll be there after my toddler's nap on Thursday!!!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#17 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Sorting....folding......so....many....clothes....

I'm bringing a van full!

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#18 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!

Sandy, doesn't it get crazy? I think I'm done and then I do another load of laundry that has six more things in it that they've outgrown, and then I start another bag, so I do another load of laundry, and-- aaahhh! Can't belive it's tomorrow already!

#19 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, my word! There are already so many clothes set out. :

It's gonna be a great swap! I cannot thank everybody who helped do early setup enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#20 of 24 Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for coming! It was a GREAT swap!

#21 of 24 Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Thanks for coordinating Courtenay! I can't wait to see it on the news. Please keep us posted if you hear when it might be on.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#22 of 24 Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, Carrin! John said that they would definately let us know if they knew beforehand. If not (apparently they sometimes find out after the fact that it was put on), they will send us a link to it on their web page. Either way, I'll share.

#23 of 24 Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 AM

I watched last night, just in case. I was thinking "how excited would Courtenay be to have a spot right after Obama?".

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#24 of 24 Old 05-31-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Amen!, Sister! It's as grassroots/community organization as you get!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page