visiting ann arbor soon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi mamas, i am going to be visiting ann arbor in the beginning of june. i am looking for toddler-friendly activities to do during the daytime (museum? parks? kid-friendly restaurants?) any ideas? also, i am still nursing my 2.5 yr. old, and am wondering about the "NIP climate" there. (coming from vermont where it is pretty tolerant...)

hope to hear from someone!
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 PM

You could check out the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum. There are several nice parks, but I think Gallup Park is particularly nice. The Leslie Science Center and UofM Botanical Gardens both have nice, but short, hiking trails that might be nice to check out in June.

And you won't turn any heads nursing a 2.5 year old.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 PM

There is also a wonderful "crunchy" store there called The Little Seedling. If you need any cd's, slings, bpa-free stuff, check it out! Its our favorite store and a wonderful place to nurse at and have the kids play!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralily View Post
hi mamas, i am going to be visiting ann arbor in the beginning of june. i am looking for toddler-friendly activities to do during the daytime (museum? parks? kid-friendly restaurants?) any ideas? also, i am still nursing my 2.5 yr. old, and am wondering about the "NIP climate" there. (coming from vermont where it is pretty tolerant...)

hope to hear from someone!
thanks
Regarding an NIP climate, since I am pregnant with my first, I can't give firsthand knowledge but AA has to be one of the most laid back places in Michigan, if not the number one. I don't think it should be a problem for you at all. Regarding where to eat, downtown has lots of options. I'm sure the Museum would have great recommendations on kid-friendly places.

I've heard this is a must. I look foward to taking my babes (once they are born
Ann Arbor Hands on Museum
http://www.aahom.org/
More than 250 interactive science and technology exhibits, including a light and optics gallery, a full-size ambulance, and the Measure Up health station. Sciencepalooza demonstrations first weekend each month, and other Super Science demos other weekends. New and traveling exhibitions, preschool gallery, weekend and summer classes, birthday parties, camp-ins, outreach programs, distance learning, and volunteer opportunities. Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. noon-5 p.m. Closed major holidays. Admission $8. Children under age 2 free.

Ann Arbor Art Center
117 W. Liberty [map]
994-8004
www.annarborartcenter.org
Year-round classes and workshops in all major media for children and adults. Project parties, workshops, summer camp, and seasonal programs. Its studio ArtVentures, is available for birthday parties, school groups, scout troops, and more; groups learn about the art world while completing a guided project. Call for fees.

Domino's Petting Farm
24 Frank Lloyd Wright [map]
998-0182
Ponies, llamas, goats, pigs, sheep, chickens, donkeys, and cows. Mon.-Fri. 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Sat. & Sun. 10:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Adults $5, children ages 2-12 & senior citizens, $4.50, children under age 2 free. Hayrides included. Open year round. Pony rides on weekends, Apr.-Oct.. Birthday parties and picnics: call for group rates. [email protected], www.pettingfarm.com

Gallup Park River Kids
3000 Fuller Rd [map]
662-9319
Exploratory program for ages 2-4 (with caregiver) using kayaks, paddleboats, and canoes, plus fishing. River Tot Stroll offered for ages newborn-2. Call for dates and times; $40-$64/per child per month.

Leslie Science & Nature Center
1831 Traver [map]
997-1553
Natural science and environmental education for youth and families. The center comprises the Nature House, the Critter House, Resident Raptors, and the Leslie farmhouse, all on 50 acres of fields, woods, prairies, and ponds. Outdoor, hands-on, and discovery-based programs for groups; birthday parties, weekend events, and festivals. Nature day camps during the summer and school breaks. Hikes on the property are encouraged. Building can be rented. Call for fees and program schedules. [email protected], www.lesliesnc.org

Scrap Box
581 State Cir. [map]
994-4420
Children preschool age & older can browse through a warehouse of surplus stuff, filling a bag ($4/small or $6.50/large) with junk and scrap materials to use in craft projects. Birthday parties and field trips by appointment. Tues.-Fri. 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Call for holiday hours. www.scrapbox.org
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM

The hands on museum is really fun!! And yea, Ann Arbor is way laid back and very earthy so no problems with nip.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

wow, thanks for all the great suggestions and info. i will check out all of these if i can. we will be staying at concordia, but i think we will end up renting a car to get around.

thanks againl, and maybe i will see some of you at the park or museum!

User Tag List