ABC Providence Hospital Detroit area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone given birth at the ABC center at Providence hospital? What was it like? Any advice? We were going to hire a doula at first and labor at home as long as possible to transfer last minute but then I got to thinking about my 22-month old and wondered what he would do while Mom was in labor. Now we're thinking of going to the center earlier on and having a nanny come to the house to watch our son. So, I would like some input on the experiences others have had there.
My first birth experience was a 37-hour labor attempted home/water birth with a hospital transport after 29 hours and having been "stuck" at 7 centimeters. I believe in natural pain med-free, no episeotomy, dad catching etc.
#2 of 9 Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM

I had a wonderful birth there 3.5 years ago. The nurses were great

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
#3 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

I was recently told that they no longer do VBACs- does anyone know anything about that?

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#4 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM

They do not do vbacs at the abc. They do in the regular l&d. We recently attempted our first birth at the abc. We were transferred due to baby's heart-rate being non-responsive (no fluctuations) after 24 hours of prodromal labor. we didn't hire a doula because we thought we were going to be in the abc, and consequently felt pretty alone in the l&d.The nurses there were nice, but didn't have much to offer since they knew I didn't want drugs. The nurses at the abc were great, though. Our abc nurse even kept coming over to check on us, even though we weren't in the abc anymore.

After more non-progression and heart rate issues, a fever on my part, etc, I had a cs. Nurses from the abc came and visited the next couple days, checking in and expressing sympathy for our situation. I'm very sad that I will not be able to deliver at the abc because of being a vbac. I truly felt like it was the perfect place for me. I would still recommend it. I hear all good things about people who birth there. I would recommend a doula, as well, since you never know how birth will go and it was something we regretted once we got transferred.

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
#5 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM

merebella

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#6 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Just had a friend who had a VBAC with the Metro Partner midwives in the regular L&D area there. She said it was a wonderful birth experience.

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
#7 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM

I had my second daughter 16 months ago there and it was a wonderful and very healing expirience for me after a somewhat traumatic first birth.
#8 of 9 Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 PM

Binky...
Was your first a c-section? You said you were transferred, but didn't indicate whether or not you delivered vaginally.
In any case...I had a wonderful birth at the ABC. I had a doula, and would never birth again without her!

Jill,
: Wife to Steven, step-mom to Peter, mom to Noah, Oliver, Linus, and 2 in heaven.
#9 of 9 Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmmmm. Is there anybody else you could call on to watch the little one, like a friend, a family member, somebody from your local LLL group? I think that the doula isn't as necessary for "protection" from hospital staff at the ABC, but yes, if you transferred to the regular L&D, you would have more need of their knowledge base and reminder to use your voice. Also, frankly, the support of the doula or somebody close to you to look in your eyes and tell you you're doing great is just important to have...so I'd go for the doula if you can find free or lowcost childcare. Perhaps call local churches and ask about seniors in the senior groups who might be willing/able to come over and meet your child and spend time with him before hand, and then be available during the birth? Same with high school co-op students or college students in the ed department at local colleges/universities (and we have a lot of those around here!). You will find lower cost care this way than a "nanny" and would still get reliable care...and perhaps still afford that doula!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page