Pediatrician/family doc in Ann Arbor area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, we're sort of re-thinking our choice of provider for our little one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a natural family-minded family doc, pediatrician or nurse practitioner for me? We live in the Ann Arbor area, but would be willing to travel a short distance as well (like, 25 miles).
We are feeling a little like our current provider doesn't quite support our cosleeping, non vaxing selves, and it's a little uncomfortable to feel defensive at WBVs. A plus would be a provider who might make a home visit for home born new babies for the first visit or two.
Thanks all!

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Hi Heather --

Unfortunately, I think that there might not be anyone doing home visits for babies in the Ann Arbor area right now. Maybe Dr. Richard Linsk, though I think he had his PNP doing them and I don't think she is there anymore. You might want to call/consult with him. He is a very natural doctor but has a quirky personality. Some people really like him, others not so much.

I have been hearing back good reports on Amanda Kaufman, who is a family practitioner in the UofM system. I have also had really good results with the nurse managed centers at UofM, specifically Megan Eagle, who is a FNP and Katie Moriarty, who is a CNM (which doesn't help you with the baby, but is good to know anyway). At one time the Maple/****** office was closed to people who didn't live in the 48103 zip code, but that might not be true now and I don't know exactly where you live, anyway. The North Campus Family Health Center is open to all, though.

I'm sure someone here is going to recommend Liberty Pediatrics, but they have a new policy which closes their practice to new patients who have had homebirths until the babies are 18 months. I don't want to get all gossipy and critical about their reasons because obviously as a homebirth midwife I wish things were different, but as far as I know that policy stands. Current families are accepted for new births.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:44 PM

I take my daughter to Dr. Linsk at Integrative Pediatrics. We've only been for one visit so far, but I was pretty immediately impressed by him. He seems balanced, respectful and has a least-->most interventive approach. We haven't vaccinated our daughter and he was totally fine with that, though he did talk with us openly about the questions we had and when we asked him what he personally recommended he talked about a few vaccinations and his knowledge and experience with them. He wasn't pushy or judgmental.

He does have sortof a quirky personality that might be seen as sortof abrupt or direct, but I really liked him.

Christine, the PNP, recently left the practice unfortunately. She did home visits for home-birthed babes, and I expressed to him my disappointment at this not being available anymore. He thought for a second and said "well, I guess I could do that," and seemed very open to it, like he just hadn't thought about it. We did talk about it and sortof concluded that if I have a homebirth midwife that I trust (I do), then a home visit might not be necessary since he would be doing mostly the same things they will do.

For myself, I go to the North Campus Family Health Clinic and see an NP named Jennifer. I really, really like her. They've had a lot of turnover in that office in the last few years, which almost made me leave the practice, but then she came along. She has been totally respectful and helpful in working with me--and I'm pretty proactive and self-researched when it comes to our family health care. She's supportive of natural methods and knows some things about them. She's been really great about helping me get the prenatal stuff I need covered by insurance (an ultrasound, lab work, etc.) even though I'm planning a homebirth and am not seeing her for prenatal care. The nurse-midwife Katie, however, was very pushy about needing me to come in for concurrent prenatal care and I felt talked-at and like my time was wasted with her. Super happy with Jennifer, though, and will continue to see her for well-woman care.

hijab.gif Muslim convert attachment mama to 2, stepmama to 3 more. Married to a Warrior Spirit. 

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

User Tag List