Restaurants & Mini golf in Indianapolis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I are going to Indy for our vacation this year and are looking for any recs on a mini golf course? I looked online but a bunch came up and I cant find any reviews,etc. . .for them. Any experience here on a good course?
Also what restaurants would you recommend for a nicer dinner out without paying $30 some buck a entree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Not sure about mini golf, but I can definitely make restaurant suggestions. We eat out every weekend and stick to a budget.

It depends what you like and what part of town you will be in (These are all north side since that's what I'm used to):
*A great burger- Bubs (in Carmel). Unique or classic burgers and awesome milkshakes.
*Thai- Thai Cafe
*Indian- Shalimar
*Cajun- Gumbo-a-Go-Go or Yats (I prefer the former, but both are good)
*Turkish- Istanbul Cafe
*BBQ- GT Souths
*Pizza- Bazbeaux (Yum! My favorite real pizza. My favorite Hoosier pizza is Pizza King, but I think it's an aquired taste.)
*Scottish- MacNivens (downtown)
*German- Rathskellar (downtown)
*3 Sisters Cafe

MacNivens and Rathskellar may be a bit more expensive, but definitely below $30/plate. The great thing about Indy is affordability.

Things to consider:
*Marion county restaurants are smoke-free. Yay!
*However, marion county taxes are higher for food and beverages. Probably only 1% or 2%, but definitely higher than surrounding counties.

Enjoy your vacation!

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM

There's a fantastic place for Indiana food in Broad Ripple...Shalimar?

It's across the street from Applebee's right along Broad Ripple Rd/62nd Street, IIRC. Not pricey. Very doable for a family!

There are many excellent places to eat. Like PP said, all of Marion Co. is smoke-free...with the exception of bars that do not sell food. Some of the 'donut counties' -- the one that ring Marion -- have no smoking ordinances too. Carmel is one of those. Last I checked, Noblesville was not.

Not that you asked, but the Children's Museum there, north of downtown, is fantastic! We've been to lots of children's museums over the years and this one puts all else to shame. In the summer time it can be way crowded. Best bet? Be there when they open at 10am. Bring your own bag lunch and put it in the 'lunchroom' at the top of the entrance stairs (at the water clock) and then retreat in there for lunch when things get busier.

Enjoy! Indy is a wonderful city.

Maryhippie.gif

Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Rustic Gardens is a fantastic miniature golf course on the SE side of Indy. The holes are longer than at Putt Putt but obviously the course is much easier than real golf!

Lauren - mom to Lolli (09/23/07) and Poppy (07/21/09) and Ozzie (05/26/12)

Old 06-16-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
There's a fantastic place for Indiana food in Broad Ripple...Shalimar?

It's across the street from Applebee's right along Broad Ripple Rd/62nd Street, IIRC. Not pricey. Very doable for a family!

There are many excellent places to eat. Like PP said, all of Marion Co. is smoke-free...with the exception of bars that do not sell food. Some of the 'donut counties' -- the one that ring Marion -- have no smoking ordinances too. Carmel is one of those. Last I checked, Noblesville was not.

Not that you asked, but the Children's Museum there, north of downtown, is fantastic! We've been to lots of children's museums over the years and this one puts all else to shame. In the summer time it can be way crowded. Best bet? Be there when they open at 10am. Bring your own bag lunch and put it in the 'lunchroom' at the top of the entrance stairs (at the water clock) and then retreat in there for lunch when things get busier.

Enjoy! Indy is a wonderful city.
Thanks! I have been to the childrens museum before when I was in school yet. Very fun! We dont have any kids yet so we probably wont go this time but will be back when baby is old enough to understand it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuNaLu View Post
Rustic Gardens is a fantastic miniature golf course on the SE side of Indy. The holes are longer than at Putt Putt but obviously the course is much easier than real golf!
Thanks!

We actually only live 3 hours south of Indy but we love the Indy area! And we are putting money back to pay for the birth of the baby this fall so a shorter vacation is whats working for us this year!

I have heard of a restaurant on top of the hyatt is it? It revolves?? Is it really that nice that it can cost so much?? Crazy!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
I have heard of a restaurant on top of the hyatt is it? It revolves?? Is it really that nice that it can cost so much?? Crazy!!
Yeah, it's supposed to be really nice. My husband went there once for a work thing. He thought it was worth the expense, but it's not my kind of thing.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone been to the zoo lately? Is it nice? Worth the time? I was there a LONG time ago but DH and I would like to go again. Is a few hours enough time for us to see what we want to see? Like 4 or 5?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM

I like to go to the zoo. It's just okay, IMO, but I still enjoy it. Last year, they had the koalas which was a big draw. This year, I think it's Komodo Dragons.

Can definitely be done in a few hours.

User Tag List