Please join the National Bone Marrow Registry for free NOW! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey, have I told you that I am a bone marrow donor? There is a grant right now for ANYBODY to join the registry for free (it's usually $52). I am pushing hard for 50 people I have contact with to donate before the end of the grant deadline!

You can do it in about fifteen minutes, tops. Fill out a form online BY MONDAY (if you do it after that you will have to pay) but why not just do it now?! You join at marrow.org/join then you put in the PROMO CODE: BTMLDET
...it is case sensitive, so please use all caps. They will send you a swab kit in the mail to get a swab of your cheek cells, and that's it. You're on the registry. Simple stuff! Please PLEASE do consider joining. :

My recipient was a 39 year old man with chronic myloginous leukemia, who had less than a 5% survival rate. He is still alive five years later! I did it with a six month old, a two year old, and a husband who had just come home from having a twelve pound tumor removed from his abdomen. It doesn't hurt that bad. I was off of motrin within 48 hours (I think it was closer to 24). You are achey when you sit and stand for about a month, and sleepy for a few days after harvest. You CAN join if you are pregnant but cannot donate until you are post partum. You must be between the ages of 18 and 60 to join. Please please copy this and send it to anybody you think would be willing to join before monday for free! There are so many people (like your child, your husband, your mother, your brother...) waiting for a match! We especially need people of african american, native american, hispanic/latino, pacific islander, and jewish descent!!!

Please, please, please join. And have your spouse do it too, if they are willing!!! And anybody else you know.

Thanks friends! (hey will you let me know if you or anybody you know joins, so that I can keep a tally for my goal? thanks! )

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I see on the weight requirements are the maximum guidelines but do you know the minimum. Does it go by bmi? I am researching it but I have a feeling me being "underweight" will disqualify me. I cant donate blood even so I doubt I can this but it would be nice to know

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, it doesn't have a minimun requirement. I have been too light to donate blood at times and still was a marrow doner. It is about the amount of marrow you have in your bones, not the amount of meat/fat ON your bones!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping. C'mon, Mamas! Save a life!

User Tag List