Indiana Mamas- Fox 59 Anti-Waterbirth Tomorrow @ 10 p.m. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fox 59 just 'teased' their 'special investigation tomorrow night against waterbirth, focusing on waterbirth with unlicensed midwives but from the sound of it they're targeting any type of non-hospital-monitored waterbirth. I know it's the same outfit of fauxnews but this is a locally owned subsidiary and I am almost as sickened and angered as I was when they vilified all homebirth during the midwife witch hunts a few years ago.

I am considering composing a letter and checking with my yahoo groups to see if there's an active protest I've missed while we've been busy with other things.
#2 of 24 Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks for sharing. I will probably check it out tonight. We're planning a home waterbirth, and I can only imagine what friends and family will say if they watch it...

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#3 of 24 Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

No problem. I actually figured there would already be something here but a search turned up nothing.

Got replies from about a dozen people in my yahoo networks saying they are calling/writing Fox 59 to express their disgust. Yes homebirth w/ a DE midwife is still illegal in Indiana. No Duh. But waterbirth is not, nor is it as dangerous as they are making it out to be.

FWIW- in the ad I saw for it on the morning news, it looked like ICAN was the website being used as an example of the type of places they are attacking online for these issues. *meaning it looked like the ICAN site to me*
#4 of 24 Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM

There is an article on the fox 59 website. It is more of an attack on particular midwives and a certain situation. Disgusting.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#5 of 24 Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 PM

I wrote to Fox59 on e-mail. This piece is disgusting and poorly written. They obviously have no facts and are just trying to be juicy. Here is my e-mail

"Although the piece has not yet aired on tonight's news, I am writing to express my disappointment with the article about "bathtub births and quiverfull." I have always chosen Fox59 as my news station of choice, but now I am seriously revisiting that opinion.

I do not know the Chimilewski family nor anything about the case from a first-hand point of view. I have only read what others have read. However, I am disappointed - no, disgusted - that Kimberly King and your company were so desperate for a story that you published such a poorly researched and one-sided story. It is quite apparent to me or anyone reading this piece that you could not find any "real" information about homebirth or this particular case. You were apparently so frantic to write something juicy, after all the time and effort spent to talk to the Chimilewskis or anyone else involved with the case without avail, that you just printed anything you could quote, whether it had any merit or made any sense.

Of course the midwives in question would not answer your questions. They are bound to privacy laws, the same as any health care professional, a fact EMT Shawn Phenis seems to have completely forgotten. I'm sure they would love to defend themselves against this perversion if they did not truly care about their obligations as health care professionals.

As I know the owner of United Wellness Center, I can confidently say that Brandi Wood is not an employee of that office. Again, you are printing lies. Barb Bechtel should have no first-hand information about this case. There are many other states that DO license CPMs like Brandi Wood, and twins are often born at home. In my education and from speaking with many CPMs and CNMs around the country, simply being pregnant with twins does not constitute a high-risk case.

You also imply a CPM is an uneducated. Maybe you should investigate what is required to become a certified professional midwife. Of course, that may make your story less compelling. You also fail to report that there is an Indiana Midwifery Association that conducts professional peer reviews, of which a prominent Indiana CNM is a board member. In addition, the IMA and midwives of Indiana have been submitting legislation to legalize CPMs for the last 14 years in order to try to comply with the laws of this state.

You reported that there was a knot in the umbilical cord. Was this the cause of the emergency? I have read nothing about a knot in the umbilical cord. I have witnessed many births where there were knots in the umbilical cord that had no bearing on the pregnancy and birth whatsoever. Then you follow with Shawn Phenis' comment about "someone's to blame" as if that was directly related to the knotted cord! Does being an EMT make one an expert on pregnancy and birth? Does the EMT know anything about the case history other than the information directly needed to provide life-saving efforts? It is doubtful.

You quoted Carri as blogging, "My body is full my legs can only take so much." I think most women who have had an uncomplicated singleton pregnancy and birth have often expressed the same feelings.

I thought "journalism" like this was left to rags like Star and the National Enquirer. You should be ashamed."

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#6 of 24 Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM

I loved what you wrote Kristin. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I wanted to write something, but I was just shaking so badly from head to toe I couldn't.

As you can see from my siggy, I am planning on having my twins at home and I almost threw up just reading the article.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 24 Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome Kim! I am so glad to know I'm not the only one disgusted by this. I wrote a letter and called the station as well. If I felt safe in that area after dark by myself I'd probably have done a protest outside during the newscast.
#8 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 12:17 AM

i went to the story on their website and there is no place to leave a comment. Niiiiiiice. :

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#9 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Yeah, that's why I wrote an email. Apparently they weren't answering phones either. I emailed the evening news editor and also Kim herself. Oh, Kim just e-mailed me back!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
#10 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM

There's a thread on Indy's 'Moms Like Me' if anyone is interested in posting there: http://indianapolis.momslikeme.com/m...4&se=&sd=&sn=0

I posted, hope it makes SOME sense. I'm still so worked up it's difficult to form a reply.

#11 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Ack! I went to Indymoms, found the thread, was posting a long reply, and now I can't find it. Did it get yanked?

#12 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM

That story was absolute rubbish. They slandered the midwives and the family, and I am absolutely disgusted.

Not that I would expect any different from fox news.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#13 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM

This is so disturbing. I watched the news video online this morning. What terrible journalism. So many things they said didn't even make sense....

In one breath, the midwives "administered oxygen but did little else" but then a moment later they were "breaking the law" by doing that. Makes a lot of sense... right.

I feel so bad for this family & our midwives.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#14 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM

I posted on the indymoms site too..... the thread appears to be gone now.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#15 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM

there's a new thread on Indymoms.

#16 of 24 Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM

what's the deal with the thread, is that all from just today? I couldn't find my posts & the formatting there is terrible.

#17 of 24 Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 PM

My vote is to let this whole thing die down... we do NOT need more press coverage on these types of situation when we are so.close. to getting legislation passed that would protect both consumers and midwives.

JMO.
#18 of 24 Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

So kristin what did Kim's reply say? Nosy minds {like me, lol} want to know.

I'm trying to stay calm but the slander and other bs just get on my last nerve. I know the story was probably intended to cause a ruckus and prevent the legislature from passing laws supporting homebirth and DEMs but it still was way over the top.
#19 of 24 Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM

I agree with BBM about letting it die down. Which I think/hope is already happening.

Kim's reply was just a bunch of foot stomping about how she thoroughly researched it and presented the facts, and how she understands that people want to choose where to birth, but it's about the child (as if homebirthers don't care about their babies --- oh, that burned my britches).

I never intended to change her mind or get any retractions or apologies. I just wanted her to know that intelligent people can see right through her "journalism," see all the inconsistencies in her story, see that she didn't really have any facts at all, see that her story was based on lies and heresay.

#20 of 24 Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM

oh, and she also wanted my phone number so she could interview me. Bwahahahahaha!!! As if!

#21 of 24 Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geigerin View Post
That story was absolute rubbish. They slandered the midwives and the family, and I am absolutely disgusted.

Not that I would expect any different from fox news.
Just a reminder, but Fox News isn't the only news network guilty of such garbage journalism. They're just slanted in the opposite direction as ABC, NBC and CBS and that's why they've attracted so much negative attention from "watchdog" groups.
#22 of 24 Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarai View Post
Just a reminder, but Fox News isn't the only news network guilty of such garbage journalism. They're just slanted in the opposite direction as ABC, NBC and CBS and that's why they've attracted so much negative attention from "watchdog" groups.
Nobody said they were. Your intro says you've been lurking for quite some time. If so you already know this isn't the first and won't be the last time a network news channel or local affiliate of same has caught the attention and ire of the {majority?} activists here at MDC. Birth rights are a huge issue in Indiana, have been for years and as other pp stated are in a very precarious state right now. So a few of us are on edge and snap easily when allegedly reliable news stations do over-dramatic, ratings-grab stories that stir the public and feed them false info.
#23 of 24 Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin View Post
I agree with BBM about letting it die down. Which I think/hope is already happening.

Kim's reply was just a bunch of foot stomping about how she thoroughly researched it and presented the facts, and how she understands that people want to choose where to birth, but it's about the child (as if homebirthers don't care about their babies --- oh, that burned my britches).

I never intended to change her mind or get any retractions or apologies. I just wanted her to know that intelligent people can see right through her "journalism," see all the inconsistencies in her story, see that she didn't really have any facts at all, see that her story was based on lies and heresay.
and that's about the politest thing I can say about her reply. I've always thought she was one half step above weather girl in the research department, this just further confirms that suspicion.
#24 of 24 Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin View Post

Of course the midwives in question would not answer your questions. They are bound to privacy laws, the same as any health care professional, a fact EMT Shawn Phenis seems to have completely forgotten. I'm sure they would love to defend themselves against this perversion if they did not truly care about their obligations as health care professionals.

Then you follow with Shawn Phenis' comment about "someone's to blame" as if that was directly related to the knotted cord! Does being an EMT make one an expert on pregnancy and birth? Does the EMT know anything about the case history other than the information directly needed to provide life-saving efforts? It is doubtful.

I thought "journalism" like this was left to rags like Star and the National Enquirer. You should be ashamed."
Excellent response-Excellent points you have made! ---thank you. :

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page