Where Did The Bloomington Mamas Go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last thread is so old it's locked now With dh home from Iraq and the kids done with public school our schedule is a lot more open now and I'd love to meet up with some like-minded mamas for a change.

Anyone still here ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 AM

i just moved to bloomington in march from massachusetts to study midwifery. i thought there would be a lot more people on this site from this town, but i guess not!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
The last thread is so old it's locked now With dh home from Iraq and the kids done with public school our schedule is a lot more open now and I'd love to meet up with some like-minded mamas for a change.

Anyone still here ???
Hey Judith... I'm still here but apprenticing is keeping me really busy, plus I'm getting my own business up and running in addition to being Mom. When will you be in Btown next? How has your family been since dh's return? We're all thrilled to have my brother back home... though he speaks occasionally of re-enlisting. You can imagine how (not) popular that idea is with us even though we want to support him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDeTeya View Post
i just moved to bloomington in march from massachusetts to study midwifery. i thought there would be a lot more people on this site from this town, but i guess not!
Hey C... it's me, Michelle.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still around. Still working at IU and ds goes to daycare full-time. Trying to keep my garden under control and my house clean. My squashes are taking over, my tomatoes keep outgrowing their stakes, and my house looks like a hurricane hit, so something isn't quite working

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
Hey Judith... I'm still here but apprenticing is keeping me really busy, plus I'm getting my own business up and running in addition to being Mom. When will you be in Btown next? How has your family been since dh's return? We're all thrilled to have my brother back home... though he speaks occasionally of re-enlisting. You can imagine how (not) popular that idea is with us even though we want to support him!

Hey C... it's me, Michelle.
Hey you. We're doing pretty good actually. Had a rougher go of it than we were expecting considering the overall nature of the tour but we prayed and worked through it. Is your brother going to the transitional unit at the VA at all? Dh is down to once a month for medications and career mapping right now, and we're supposed to go to the veteran & spouse retreat in September but it's an awesome program and I love recommending it to our veterans and families. Dh was stoplossed for that tour and between that and some other stuff that happened has taken his seperation papers and is going to finish school before he re-enlists. I'm doing a lot of deep breathing to cope with that idea myself. Sounds horrible from an Army brat but it is what it is.

Dh just started a new job in Terre Haute so I can't go anywhere til after he gets paid on the 13th of August. I need to get to Bloomingfoods, the kids are almost out of peanut butter and I want to make it to the farmers market before the season ends. If you know of any AP groups, midwife groups etc that are looking for a custom-tailored guest speaker on the benefits of massage for their purposes LMK please. I am working on doing some free guest lecturing and demonstrations as part of my 'impact my community and my world' goal. I'm also going to be taking some more prenatal and infant massage classes to get certified as an prenatal and infant massage educator. I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
I'm still around. Still working at IU and ds goes to daycare full-time. Trying to keep my garden under control and my house clean. My squashes are taking over, my tomatoes keep outgrowing their stakes, and my house looks like a hurricane hit, so something isn't quite working
Was that an offer of free produce? j/k, mostly I hear you on the busy busy thing. I am in limbo waiting for our wonderful state to send my license. I'm listed on the PLA as being grandfathered into the licensing but the application is still pending. Part my bad for sending it in last minute like I did, and part theirs for not anticpating the sheer numbers of therapists trying to get in under the grandfathering statute and avoid taking the national tests that are little more than money sucking wastes of time. Once that comes in I'll be blitzing for my newly revived on-site services and looking for a spa or two to part-time in to help with our budget while dh is in school and I'm building my clientele.

In other news, hubby is working for a company out of Evansville doing security work in Terre Haute. So far he likes the job and is wanting to see if he can stay on the payroll once the current assignment ends. {the company's deal with the unemployment division stated that it was a temporary contract} If so there's a good chance we'll finally get to move to Columbus next fall! I am trying to stay low-key excited but making plans that will work either way. His major is available at both the Terre Haute and Columbus campuses, at Terre Haute he's dual-enrolled with ISU and he can stay that way if he transfers to Columbus, or he can switch and be dual enrolled with IUPUC. So I'm focusing the majority of my planned blitzing and spa applications in Indy {airport, a couple of the chain shops, etc} I am open to referrals from Bloomington though, either for clients or spas & studios, so lay 'em on me if you have them please.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
Hey you. We're doing pretty good actually. Had a rougher go of it than we were expecting considering the overall nature of the tour but we prayed and worked through it. Is your brother going to the transitional unit at the VA at all? Dh is down to once a month for medications and career mapping right now, and we're supposed to go to the veteran & spouse retreat in September but it's an awesome program and I love recommending it to our veterans and families. Dh was stoplossed for that tour and between that and some other stuff that happened has taken his seperation papers and is going to finish school before he re-enlists. I'm doing a lot of deep breathing to cope with that idea myself. Sounds horrible from an Army brat but it is what it is.
Sounds like you have a lot going on! You could contact BABS about the prenatal/infant massage- they often have a MT come in one night of their childbirth class series.

Best wishes with the job changes and move! We're in limbo also... hopefully by spring we'll be moved (most likely still in the Bedford area).

I'm not sure what my brother has been doing... he's really close with another guy in his unit who lives down near Louisville and actually met his girlfriend through his buddy's wife. He seems to be doing well, but got laid off from GM the week after he came home from Iraq so he's in job-limbo... and thus thinking of re-enlisting. :
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah dh got terminated by subaru a month to the day after he came off post-deployment leave. They created alot of falsified records to do it. But good has come of it too. We got to spend most of the spring & summer together and now he has a fantastic temporary job working security that makes him happier than the plant ever did.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Hi! I am new to the Mothering site, although I have been checking out the magazines like crazy at the library.My name is Jessica, I am 28 and have 2 girls. Zoe is 3 and Emerson is 1 1/2. My husband works nights and I am currently a SAHM. I will be starting IU in August to work on my Environmental Science degree. I am having a hard time finding crunchy mamas around here so I am glad to have found this discussion board!: I look forward to getting to know you all

~Jessica-Treehugging, Yoga practicing, Chai Tea Drinking, Cloth Diapering, Getting crunchier by the day, Student, Wife to my loving husband Jason and mama to my two girls, Zoe, 3 and Emerson, 21 months
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM

welcome mama22princesses!

i have a 4.5 yr old son and, because i WOH full-time (at IU, where else?), he's at BDLC. we'd be happy to meet at a park or something, but it has to be on the weekend.

someone contacted me through the attachment parenting group on Meetup.com and snubbed my weekend-only playdate offer because i stipulated weekend-only :

busybusymomma, we should get the kids together again. we have that huge yard...

our neighbors (with kids, 2 and 4 yrs old no less) are NEVER outside. i swear, those kids just do not play outside. which makes me wonder what they do all weekend, 'cause they aren't going out driving around either. we try to spend weekends outside because it doesn't matter if we make a mess outside!

Kaitnbugsmom: definitely contact BABS and get your name on their provider list too. sometimes they have BABS gatherings where people donate proceeds of the profits for that session - you wouldn't make much but you could get your name out there.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy22princesses View Post
Hi! I am new to the Mothering site, although I have been checking out the magazines like crazy at the library.My name is Jessica, I am 28 and have 2 girls. Zoe is 3 and Emerson is 1 1/2. My husband works nights and I am currently a SAHM. I will be starting IU in August to work on my Environmental Science degree. I am having a hard time finding crunchy mamas around here so I am glad to have found this discussion board!: I look forward to getting to know you all
Hi. I live about 45 minutes from Bloomington but : coming down because of all the crunchy mamas I meet while I'm there. I just wish I were a bit less socially awkward so I could make real connections with them. I know the rest of the mamas will know where else to find everyone but I usually run into at least one sling-wearing eco minded {from what I overhear as the talk to their LO's or on their phones} mama at Discovery Lab every time we go, and of course Bloomingfoods. I'm told the downtown store and a few of the stores near there are far more full of AP mamas than the mall store. IDK b/c I haven't yet had the chance to go to that store yet. It's on my list for next month's trip though.

Quote:
welcome mama22princesses!

i have a 4.5 yr old son and, because i WOH full-time (at IU, where else?), he's at BDLC. we'd be happy to meet at a park or something, but it has to be on the weekend.

someone contacted me through the attachment parenting group on Meetup.com and snubbed my weekend-only playdate offer because i stipulated weekend-only :

our neighbors (with kids, 2 and 4 yrs old no less) are NEVER outside. i swear, those kids just do not play outside. which makes me wonder what they do all weekend, 'cause they aren't going out driving around either. we try to spend weekends outside because it doesn't matter if we make a mess outside!

Kaitnbugsmom: definitely contact BABS and get your name on their provider list too. sometimes they have BABS gatherings where people donate proceeds of the profits for that session - you wouldn't make much but you could get your name out there.
TY. That's actually exactly what I"m looking to do, donate my services in exchange for the publicity/addition to my resume as well as the practice. Is there a certain person at the birth services I should ask for or just whomever happens to be in the business office?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM

Kaitnsbugsmom: if you end up talking to Georg'ann (the executive director), tell her I told you to contact her. but i'm sure anyone in the office would do (it's a small small place). really, you should drop by if you can during mom-baby playtime (10-2, Tues-Thurs? and sometimes Sat). they're located in the basement of the old church with the Windfall Dancers.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:

sure thing- we'd jump on that! we're having neighbor issues so my kids have been stuck inside more than usual... we've been jumping at the chance to meet friends at the park, etc.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 AM

We're in Bloomington too. BBM, I remember you from my May 06 DDC and we met at Lower Cascades once when I first moved here! Hope your family is doing well.

Coincidentally, my DH is also military (Air Force), but will be retiring from active duty next summer. Twenty-two years is enough !

I like the Bloomingfoods on the west side (by the Farmer's Market) the best by far.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

We're in Bloomington too. BBM, I remember you from my May 06 DDC and we met at Lower Cascades once when I first moved here! Hope your family is doing well.
Good to see you here! How are you and how is your family?

Quote:
I like the Bloomingfoods on the west side (by the Farmer's Market) the best by far.
Me too... I like the ambiance and layout, but they don't carry a few items I am used to buying at the East side store so I tend to go to the East side store more often.

Maybe I'll see you sometime soon around town!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 AM
jdg

I know this is an older thread, but I'm a Bloomington mom-to-be and wanted to introduce myself. I've been around Bloomington for a while, but this is my first child, so any advice on groups, things to do, daycares to consider, etc, would all be appreciated!

Jackie

Jackie
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Welcome Jackie!

I still lurk around here. I was never involved in groups - my maternity leave was too short and most of the group things happen during the week - not so convenient when one works during the week.

We've been happy with BDLC. I know someone who has been happy with Campus Children's Center (though they have a massive wait list) and I think I heard good things about Campus View.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 AM

bump!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
bump!
It's so quiet here it echoes Jennifer!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
It's so quiet here it echoes Jennifer!
haha... YOU don't count at the moment since you're not HERE. enjoying the sunshine through the window here today though!

have you run into any hawt ski instructors?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
haha... YOU don't count at the moment since you're not HERE. enjoying the sunshine through the window here today though!

have you run into any hawt ski instructors?
I haven't had time! Six births in 6 days over here... studying, sleeping and catching up on laundry in between.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Good evening all I need a referral to an osteopath who accepts medicaid/hoosier healthwise in the B'ton/Spencer area or between the two if anyone has one?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 AM

what sort of osteopathic (OD) services do you need?

the local allergist is an OD (but not a classical one, imo) and would probably take those insurance options.

there is another OD in town who specializes more in gynecological issues - but again, i get the sense that he is more of an MD than an OD.

a more bodywork-oriented O.D. is Shoemaker in Nashville. i have never been to him nor do i know if he accepts insurance. but i do know that my ND (drugless OD) uses Shoemaker as a backup for some patients' needs.

good news is that marian college in Indy has been selected (like, in Jan 2010!) to run an Osteopathic College for the state. let's hope that it has more classical leanings than "modern" tendencies.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM

I am moving to Bloomington with a busy 2yr old girl and a 5mo baby. I would love to make some connections with you mamas!!

Mama to & +:::
Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 PM

b'ton is lovely this week, what with spring break and all. no battles over parking spaces on campus

Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
b'ton is lovely this week, what with spring break and all. no battles over parking spaces on campus
I know! My son got an unintended private lesson at gymnastics since he was the only one from his class who showed up! Plus, the weather is perfect .

Welcome to Bloomington, MamatoPeach! My children are a bit older than yours (3, 6, 8), but let me (or any other Bloomington Mamas) know if you have any questions.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Bumping this thread.

We moved back to Bloomington in June, from Iowa. I am thrilled to be back home!

I am a SAHM and a student working on as many courses as I can at Ivy Tech before transferring to IU with hopes of getting into SPEA. My husband works at NSWC.

I am looking to meet some new people. I am not a die hard crunchy mama in a lot of areas anymore, but am a true hippie at heart I love Bloomington!

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM

circuitsndaisies,

Definitely take your young one to BABS for playgroups. BABS is now down at the South Walnut Plaza near Burger King, across from the IU Credit Union. Beside a deli. You'd definitely meet a super cross-section of mamas there.

http://bloomingtonbirth.org

Old 09-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
circuitsndaisies,

Definitely take your young one to BABS for playgroups. BABS is now down at the South Walnut Plaza near Burger King, across from the IU Credit Union. Beside a deli. You'd definitely meet a super cross-section of mamas there.

http://bloomingtonbirth.org
I've had several mamas tell me to check out BABS. They have broadened their scope a lot since I had been gone. (Five years)

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son

User Tag List