Any Michigan Families done the Polar Express train ride? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would really like to do a Polar Express Train trip this Christmas. We have Ella, who is 3 1/2 and really into make believe and Santa and I think it would be so magical for her. I also have an 11 y/o DS and a 12 y/o 'second' DS (DS's best friend, he really is like a part of our family and spends every vacation, weekend with us, etc). I wouldn't feel right not including the older kids, even though I know they won't get as much of a kick out of it as Ella. So it would need to be all 5 of us. Tickets for the Polar Express leaving Owosso (about a 70 mile drive for us, too, btw) for all of us will be $260.

I know there are local trains that are less elaborate and cost much less. But the pictures of this steam engine chugging along is sparking something in me. Did you all know that the Pere Marquette is the train that the story book is based upong (the author is from Grand Rapids), and that it was the train featured in the film (they left it lettered as the Polar Express until Warner Bros. made them remove the lettering ).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had done it. Is it really worth that expense and drive?

Info here
http://www.mstrp.com/north-pole-express.php

and check out this awesome picture, this is the train
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~gu292901/images/pm1225px19firstsetup02.jpg
#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM

We have been considering and actually went to the Train Festival this past July in Owosso where the Pere Marquette is kept and operated. One thing I recently found out that has turned my mind a bit is that after you get to Saginaw, the Pere Marquette isn't the engine that brings you back, a regular diesel hauls the cars back. It has something to do with the ability to turn the engine around. That would be a big deal to my son, so it doesn't seem worth it. Another thing to consider if buying the tickets early: no refunds or exchanges no matter what the weather.

Honestly, I have heard that the "Santa Village" part of the trip isn't that great, it is all about the train ride (they put on a scene from the movie), with not much emphasis on Santa. Don't know if any of that helps. We have seriously considered it as my son is a HUGE Polar Express fan, but the uncertainty of the weather coupled with the cost and it is not so attractive.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#3 of 3 Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 AM

My son would absolutely love this! Thanks for posting the link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page