Evansville area Mothering moms??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just discovered that there is a natural family store in Evansville called Little Ants. littleants.com Looks like its on Bellemeade? Has anyone heard of it or been there? Most of it is probably too young for my kids since both are weaned, potty trained and no longer worn. Still I would to check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBear View Post
Just discovered that there is a natural family store in Evansville called Little Ants. littleants.com Looks like its on Bellemeade? Has anyone heard of it or been there? Most of it is probably too young for my kids since both are weaned, potty trained and no longer worn. Still I would to check it out!
YES!!! Katie is a local business owner and mother. She is very kind and a true mothering mama, (although I don't know if she posts here). She has been to a few Evansville BirthNetwork meetings and is supportive of homebirth. She has several children ranging in age from infant to school age...so you may be suprised what she has in stock. I think she does have some things for older kids.

Mama to my tribe
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I have heard there is one in Bloomington, but that's the closest I've found, sadly. Hopefully someone else will know of one!
I would encourage any moms in the greater Evansville area who are seeking birth options to consider attending a meeting with the Evansville BirthNetwork that meets bimonthly. Our next meeting is in April and will be on Cesarean Awareness. We have a great blend of all types of moms...informed hospital birthing, homebirths, VBACs, etc. We also have a yahoogroup to stay in touch between meetings or to help those who are unable to attend meetings get conneted with resources. Feel free to PM me for more information. If you would like an invite to the yahoogroup include the email address you would like the invitation sent to

Mama to my tribe
Old 03-11-2010, 12:53 AM

I just stumbled across this thread - I'm a mom from Evansville. I gave birth Oct. 8th 2010, vaginally and drug-free in Newburgh Deaconess Women's Hospital. My pregnancy was managed by Dr. Blanke. He is FABULOUS! I was told that he wasn't accepting new patients and didn't actually get in until I was about 7.5 months pregnant. I pestered their office until I got in and it was well worth it. I wish there were more doctors like him in Evansville.

I would LOVE to have a water birth with my next baby. But, not at home. If anyone knows of any options other than going to The Farm or birthing at home that would allow me to use a birthing tub, I would really appreciate it. I was told that Deaconess used to have one for their patients but it was requested so infrequently that they actually had it removed.

I've been meaning to check out the Birth Network meetings, but just haven't gotten around to it. (Kinda busy with this little baby!)
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 AM

Dr. Blanke is great, truely. I think that he makes things a lot more bearable than they would be otherwise. As I approach my next birth (this summer), I still worry more about birthing within the policies and constraints of the local hospital systems. Dr. Blanke put it to me this way during a previous pregnancy... you don't go to a steak house and order sushi. He told me, if you come to the hospital, you have to order within the menu. He is beyond flexible and great, but I understand his point. I really wish there were more options locally. Even being a totally empowered birthing momma, I still don't like the hospital menu, ykwim? It is just different than the autonomy that comes with a birth center or homebirth. There are so many factors to be weighed when planning a birth and as I sort through my options, I know there is going to be give and take, no matter what I decide. Whatever I decide, I feel much more confident knowing I have the full support of my care provider...so in that respect Now...what to do about those pesky, restrictive hospitals...

Mama to my tribe
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 AM

He definitely makes things more bearable. I was disappointed toward the end of my pregnancy when it dawned on me that Blanke would only be there for the very end of the labor, for the delivery. He felt like one of my birthing team members and I wanted him there during the whole thing! I'd very likely pursue a homebirth if I didn't have him to advocate for me in the hospital. I was prepared to point the birth plan and tell them to call Blanke if they didn't agree with something or had a question and I would have refused to discuss it. Luckily, I barely remember any hospital staff until after delivery. They kept the lights low the whole time and only came in very quietly when they had to. Afterwards was a different story - they all bugged the crap out of me following the birth! Next time I might have to include a post partum plan!

Does anyone know how Blanke's wife labored and delivered? I'm curious, but I never want to ask him.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 AM

SashaBear, Little Ants has a lot of the Plan Toys if your kiddos are into those. There are also some sort of dollhouse (only more like treehouse) structures with people to go with them. They looked neat. Her oldest son is selling some cute little puppets right now in order to rasie money for Heifer International. I think they are about $10 and displayed right by the front door.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM

I'm on the yahoogroup for the Evansville BirthNetwork already!

User Tag List