Evansville area Mothering moms??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious --roll call please!

I am in Newburgh ,have 4 children-ages 21,18 ,10 and 2 1/2 .The last one was born at home in a water pool with a great lady beside me helping .
I work full time and am busy just keeping up with dishes and laundry ,etc.I love to read and cook when inspired .I made about 10 different kinds of herbal tinctures the other day and enjoy herbs and gardening.My husband is a carpenter and we are hoping to sell our home and build in Tennyson soon.

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 AM

Hi! Im in Huntingburg, about 40 minutes from Evansville. I dont think there is alot of people from around here on mothering. My area at least is not very natural living friendly at all! I am 37 weeks pregnant with our first baby and I am planning a home water birth with a midwife from bloomington. Where was your midwife from if you dont mind me asking? I didnt know there was any in evansville?
#3 of 38 Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Shannon,
I was in Jasper visiting my mother in law yesterday and drove through Huntingburgh!
I had a woman from Evansville -West side --I have not heard from her the past year or so.
I had a water birth--had a pool in my bedroom --it was pretty helpful but my water was a little too hot during labor -FYI so watch your temp in the pool.

#4 of 38 Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Wow! You were right at my area. How cool!
Would you mind PMing me the info on your midwife you used? I would like to have some info on a closer midwife for next time maybe. I love our midwife now but she is just so stinking far it makes me incredibly nervous!
We did a test run on the birth pool and DH figured out how tall to fill the pool with cold before adding hot so Hopefully we have the temp thing figured out!
#5 of 38 Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM

I live in Evansville and I would agree...not too natural friendly but there are pockets of support and Evansville BirthNetwork formed a bit over a year ago. Several natural minded moms come there for support even after their babies birth; it is fun to get together.

I just discovered some severe restrictions the local hospitals will be putting on moms coming in, in labor (due to H1N1) and I know that this will not be a positive thing for mother friendly maternity care.

Mama to my tribe
#6 of 38 Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
I live in Evansville and I would agree...not too natural friendly but there are pockets of support and Evansville BirthNetwork formed a bit over a year ago. Several natural minded moms come there for support even after their babies birth; it is fun to get together.

I just discovered some severe restrictions the local hospitals will be putting on moms coming in, in labor (due to H1N1) and I know that this will not be a positive thing for mother friendly maternity care.
Yeah this area is definitely not natural friendly! It amazes me how weird people think I am when I mention homebirth, cloth diapering and even breastfeeding! I am definitely the weirdo in our town.. Lol
#7 of 38 Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am actually an hour and a half from Evansville, but it's the closest thing to me, lol!

I wish there were any sort of natural parenting groups anywhere near here that I could find, but I've had no luck. I know one homeschooling family in my town had UCs and I am friends with another natural mama in town, but I wish there were meetups or something. I'm far, but I'd about be wiling to start up a holistic moms network or something.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 38 Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Kitty Witty-
Where are you located ?
A friend and I had a Families for Natural Living group 5 years ago and had monthly meetings and lots of info and good food and company but it was hard to get people interested in paying dues and it cost me way too much $ for books (which I love ) and was hard to get non cliques after a while .
I miss the company -made 2 good friends and several people are still in touch .

Maybe check out the web sites of a few groups and see which clicks with you .
Would love to come!

#9 of 38 Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM

I have checked out Holistic Moms and API about starting a group, but I'd only have one other person in my group and a big debt from doing so.

I am less than an hour west of Vincennes in Illinois.

#10 of 38 Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 PM

I live about an hour and a half north of Evansville. I know a few Mothering moms in my city (they're the ones that brought me here)

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#11 of 38 Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM

Are you in Terre Haute?

#12 of 38 Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 AM

I am not in Evansville, but I used to live there and visit quite a bit throughout the year. I am in Marshall, IL (just west of Terre Haute). Nice to see that there are some naturally minded mama's on here that are relatively 'close'.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#13 of 38 Old 12-01-2009, 05:04 PM

We drive through Marshall quite a bit to go see family.

#14 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 AM

Hello all... I am from the Newburgh area... about 5-10 min from Evansville. Seems like nobody around here is AP friendly at all. We currently have a pediatrician for our 18 mo old daughter, and I do not agree w/what she says at all. Anybody know of any AP friendly pediatricians around the area?

THANKS. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
#15 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 AM

nak...
i am in jasper and we are seeing dr kreilein. she isnt necessarily total AP but she is very considerate about your choice. she is very pro breastfeeding, and im pretty sure she co slept with her kids. we had a homebirth and told her and she was very nice about it, didnt treat me like a freak at all....
just a idea for you....
#16 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

We are in Newburgh!!
We see a family practice Dr in Evansville we LOVE!
Very AP to me -he is a Catholic MD and does not preach or teach birth control though .
We still nurse at 3 years and have always coslept and use herbs,had a homebirth ,we do not vax,etc.

#17 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 PM

JAZE MOMMIE-your dr isnt taking new patients......
#18 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Shannon--CONGRATULATIONS!!
How did it go??

#19 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no--I did not know that-sorry.I will keep my ears open about a ped .

#20 of 38 Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 PM

The birth was amazing!! Labor was 6 hours total, only 40 minutes of pushing. It was very intense but not painful. We had a birth pool set up and we filled it but i was only in it a few minutes at a time and i just was not comfortable. I liked the shower much better, i guess the constant water running on me helped more.
I did tear really bad but it wasnt on the outside,it was inside so the midwife couldnt find it and i was bleeding a ton and kept passing out so they took me to the ER and i ended up having to have a spinal block and put to sleep so they could stitch me up. NOT the after birth "joy" i pictured but i am thankful that she was born at home WITHOUT meds, I feel so proud of myself. I am 8 weeks pp and still achy down there but the dr said i healed well so thank god!
#21 of 38 Old 12-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Congrats! I had to transfer after my last birth. It is hard. But if I ever have another, I would do it again.

#22 of 38 Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Hi! I live in hour northeast of Evansville. I'm friends with Shannon. Her ILs live down the road from me!

I think Dr. Kreilein is great. She has never steered us wrong and didn't bat an eye at our cloth diapering. She even lectured her nurses when they were concerned about my baby on my back.

I'm looking into getting PG sometime this year and doing a VBAC or HBAC.
#23 of 38 Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBear View Post
Hi! I live in hour northeast of Evansville. I'm friends with Shannon. Her ILs live down the road from me!

I think Dr. Kreilein is great. She has never steered us wrong and didn't bat an eye at our cloth diapering. She even lectured her nurses when they were concerned about my baby on my back.

I'm looking into getting PG sometime this year and doing a VBAC or HBAC.
YOU ARE?? YAY!!!!

Yes, Dr Kreilein hasnt said anything to me about cloth diapering my baby. Didnt even flinch. And she is very supportive of breastfeeding. I told her Kianna was nursing every 2 hours yet and she said good, let her eat whenever she wants.
#24 of 38 Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 PM

I am definitely trying for a VBAC. I think my best shot will be with a HBAC. BOth my kids were malpositioned and I need someone to recognize it and fix it during labor. Unfortunately we talked about it after your birth and I didn't get any support.
Max and my parents both think my birth problems were a sign of my lack of birth ability. Not the drs poor choices or lack of involvement. You know, they think there is something wrong with my body. They said I couldn't do a homebirth with the problems I have already had.
We'll see!
#25 of 38 Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 AM

I dont know if I would try for a VBAC at Jasper. You would probably have better luck in Evansville. I KNOW Washington hospital is NOT very VBAC friendly. And when I went into Jasper hospital to repair the tears after Ki's birth the nurses were all in shock that I went through labor drug free and could not figure out why I wouldnt want drugs. So I dont know how supportive Jasper would be for a VBAC.
Just a thought. . . .
Or a homebirth is even better
#26 of 38 Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM

I didn't figure Jasper was very good for a VBAC. My friend tried a vbac and then Dr. Checki (sp?) said that her incision was bulging and that they baby was pressing right on it. She could wait until she went into to labor but she was not supposed to labor hard. I was thinking about asking Dr. Kreilein even though she may not be able to give me an honest answer.
#27 of 38 Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM

I am from Evansville but live in Indy now. I had a HBAC in 07 and my family back home thought I was crazy. They just knew I was going to die. My daughter was perfect and has been the picture of health. My mom is NOW supported of my homebirth and loves to tell others. My sisters would ask how long i was going to BF so for her 1st bday I bought my daughter the book "I am made of mommy's milk". They just now call me the crazy hippie. Evansille is not the natural friendly. I am so glad to see there are others!!!
#28 of 38 Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Are you in Terre Haute?
I am.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#29 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Does anyone have a midwife recommendation?
#30 of 38 Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 PM

I have heard there is one in Bloomington, but that's the closest I've found, sadly. Hopefully someone else will know of one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page