Northern Indiana- We have great HB Midwives & a Birth Center! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you know that? I did not know that when I set out on this pregnancy. I thought I was going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find someone to assist me in the birth I wanted to have. Little did I know how lucky I actually was. We have 3 CNMs that practice home births. And we have a birth center, New Eden, in Topeka.

In case there is someone out there wondering what their choices are- I thought I would let you know how many awesome options you have.

This is your birth. Make it wonderful!
#2 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks for that information! We just moved to Shipshewana this summer. It was nice to read your post. Are there other moms out there from this area? It would be nice to meet other moms that live near by.

I've been reading the MDC site for several years and finally decided to join. I have a 2 yr old son and am a SAHM.
#3 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Hi, Northern Indiana Mamas!

We are so fortunate to have some great birthing options in our general area. I haven't had much experience with New Eden, but I had the opportunity to visit Goshen Birth Center in Goshen, Indiana fairly recently, and was very impressed. It seems like a wonderful place to have a baby. http://www.goshenbirthcenter.com/.

Anyone else here from St. Joseph or Elkhart Counties?

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#4 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Hi!! Welcome, midwesterner04 Yes, there are a few of us on here. Are you familiar with the South bend area Holistic moms network chapter? We have lots of great moms.

CPST
#5 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Hi!! Welcome, midwesterner04 Yes, there are a few of us on here. Are you familiar with the South bend area Holistic moms network chapter? We have lots of great moms.
Thanks for the welcome, bobandjess99! I have heard of the Holistic Moms Network of South Bend and have been hoping to make it to one of the upcoming meetings--I moved to the area just a few months ago and seem always to be out of town or otherwise tied up when HMN meetings are taking place. Maybe next month... :-)

Thanks again for your reply!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

#6 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!
welcome to the area. if you home school, there are several groups in the area that co-op field trips etc.
There are also two other birth centers in the area, one in Wolcottville Indiana, and one in Michigan just over the mich and Indiana line. That one is a small Amish owned birth center, In Colon Michigan. No web sites for either one.

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...
#7 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Can you tell me the names of the 3 Midwives in South Bend? Struggling to find one for a baby due around Christmas! Thanks!,
#8 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Kate Schantz & Laura Gilbert are the two CNM homebirth midwives I know of in the SB area.  www.katiecnm.com and www.michianamidwife.com.  They back each other up.

#9 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Since this old thread has been revived, I thought I'd update and share that I actually did have a baby with a CNM at Goshen Birth Center (I believe Laura Gilbert and Kate Schantz actually have privileges there, though the center is run and staffed by the midwives at Fairhaven OB).  It was wonderful! joy.gifI have the best memories of laboring outside on a summer day, coming in to rock in one of the birth center's amazingly comfortable rocking chairs, and relaxing through the last of my labor in a fabulous birth tub in a candlelit room.  My sweet baby never cried as she was lifted from the water to my chest, and it was hours before she was gently lifted from my arms to be weighed, measured, and footprinted.  Doing prenatal care with the midwives at Fairhaven and birthing at Goshen Birth Center are probably the best decisions I ever have made. I am so thankful to have had access to good midwives and out of hospital birth--many of my friends in other places want the same things but don't have the awesome choices northern Indiana has to offer.

HopefulJo likes this.

#10 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM

I just wanted to share that I had my son at New Eden last October and was very happy with my midwife (Mary Doezema) although I have to say, my doula (Jessica from Birth Kalamazoo) commented that she did find it a bit more hospital like than some other birth centers she's been to.

Absolutely no problem when I declined eye goop & Vit K (son is intact) and the good thing is that they don't even have Hep B vac on the premises, which I thought was great thumbsup.gif

They have an awesome tub for a waterbirth too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page