kent, ohio? anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're considering moving there...any crunchy parents there? Specifically babywearing, non vaxing, homeschooling/unschooling, extended breastfeeding, organic/veggie eating, etc...you get the picture...

Want to hear if there is any kind of community and what's out there.

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#2 of 12 Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Kent is the crunchiest area around. We lived there for about 8 years. There is a lot of homeschooling, homebirthing, LLL, etc stuff out there. It is a totally crunchy town!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 12 Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 PM

moved to OH tribe.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#4 of 12 Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 AM

Very crunchy!

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#5 of 12 Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Kent is pretty crunchy! When would you be in that area? I could give you some specific groups to check out when/if you do end up out that way. I have many friends there.

"We think we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." Paul Simon
DD-7 & B-G twins, 5
#6 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 AM

Yep - as crunchy as you're gonna get in Ohio! Cute little college town, a food co-op...it's pretty nice!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#7 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies. I actually grew up there but haven't lived there in...uh...about12 years. And, of course, I didn't live there as a parent of my own children. I bought a lifelong membership in the co-op, which I transferred to my mom (who still lives there). Might be worth taking that back from her, if they'll let me. lol.

Basically, I just don't know what is there now and if any crunchy people live in the area. I HAVE found both a homeschooling and unschooling list on yahoo that I'm now a part of and I'm really pleased to see that there are activities going on for the kids. I remember there being story hour at the library and that sort of thing. I'm not sure that this will be a permident move, but it might be between 3-5 years, so I'd like to find a good place for our family.

The only difficulty I see is that we are a religiously observant multi-cultural family, so I'm not sure what kind of discrimination we might face...and other hurdles, so it's possible we will try to find either a religious Jewish neighborhood in surrounding areas (Akron? Anyplace else? Anyone know?) or some sort of Israeli community to connect with, to keep our children immersed in a Hebrew speaking environment.

Anyways, any other thoughts about home/unschooling or homebirthing and all that good stuff would be appriciated. I need to figure out what I need to do to home/unschool the kids, legally there (that's a biggie!) and if my right to breastfeed will be protected (I heard that in the Record Courier they ran an article titled, roughly, If a woman can breastfeed in public then people should be able to masturbate in public, too.) I'm particularly interested in Le Leche Lactivisim going on there and how they dealt with this

You know, mamas...all that crunchy stuff!!!

Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#8 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

The only difficulty I see is that we are a religiously observant multi-cultural family, so I'm not sure what kind of discrimination we might face...and other hurdles, so it's possible we will try to find either a religious Jewish neighborhood in surrounding areas (Akron? Anyplace else? Anyone know?) or some sort of Israeli community to connect with, to keep our children immersed in a Hebrew speaking environment.

Anyways, any other thoughts about home/unschooling or homebirthing and all that good stuff would be appriciated. I need to figure out what I need to do to home/unschool the kids, legally there (that's a biggie!) and if my right to breastfeed will be protected (I heard that in the Record Courier they ran an article titled, roughly, If a woman can breastfeed in public then people should be able to masturbate in public, too.) I'm particularly interested in Le Leche Lactivisim going on there and how they dealt with this

You know, mamas...all that crunchy stuff!!!

Thanks
As far as homeschooling in Ohio, I had no problems. (I'm in Stark County, just a little south of Kent) I just wrote a letter to the curriculum director of my school district and I was all set. Piece of cake, really!

For the religious aspects, I don't really have any answers for you, except that keep in mind that it's a university town, so there are plenty of multi-cultural students in the area, so I don't think you'll have a hard time finding Hebrew-speaking environments. Back in 1995 I took a comparative religious thought class at KSU and we had to go to services at a worship center other than our own and it was not a problem at all to find Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc... places within a short drive from the campus.

I used to know one of the LLL leaders from that area but have lost contact with her. NE Ohio overall though is pretty good with public nursing. I've nursed my kids everywhere and never had an issue. If there was an article relating nursing to masturbation, I would chalk it up to the fact that there are morons everywhere and it's not difficult to get an article published in a small newspaper like the RC, ya know?

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#9 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 03:36 PM

We're in NW ohio and my SIL homeschools. There are many other homeschoolers here and they go to field trips together that are pretty neat. The kids do classes on the computer, too, maybe something like charter school? Only the harder ones, science and math.

B-feeding in public, is that illegal here? Ridiculous! I will tell you that I b-fed my dd for a whole year often in public. I used a sling, but would do all my shopping while nursing her. Only got smiles and encouraging nods, (and an occasional person wanting a peek at her, lol!)

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#10 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 PM

I currently live and Kent and love it! My partner and I are thinking of trying to get pregnant again, but I want to make sure the options I want are available. I did a search on midwife.org but couldn't find anyone that wasn't in a hospital. (I wasn't happy with my first birth experience; nurse-midwife in a hospital.) Does anyone have any more information that I'm not turning up? I'd like to find a CNM that will handle exams and is fine with an in-home water birth.
Thanks in advance!

Sarah
#11 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 PM

I am not currently in Kent, but grew up a couple of towns over and attended KSU. I cannot imagine a town that would be crunchier than Kent. And as far as your multi-cultural/religious needs, with Kent being a college town, you will find all sorts of diversity.

Best of luck with your move!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#12 of 12 Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM

I am in Wooster, and we home birth through a midwife in Akron... so don't worry! The reason "lay midwives" don't pop up on that site is because midwives who are certified can only birth in hospitals.

My midwife is fantastic, so if you need rec's! I could definitely send you a few!

As far as this area being crunchy? Well, I agree Kent is the most crunchy place there is around Ohio! I went to KSU... so I am pretty familiar with that area.

In Wooster, me home birthing, non-vax'ing, and breastfeeding in public is just downright outrageous ... ugh!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page