Mansfield, OH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the website. Found out about Mothering Magazine because I found it at the library one day. Love reading it and hoping to connect with other moms online. Just seeing if there is anyone else out there in the Mansfield, OH area. I'm 28 y/o first time mom to a baby boy (born September 22nd, 2009). Hubby and I couldn't be happier with him. Anyways, drop me a line if you are in my area.
#2 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 AM

I'm fairly close. I'm close to Jeromesville. I'm 32, a SAHM with 2 boys. They're 3 years old and 18 months old.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#3 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard of it. Not sure exactly where it is, but I figure relatively close enough to hear of it. Lol

How about that snow yesterday?
#4 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM

It's east on 30 about 15 or 20 miles. Jeromesville is a cluster of about 50 houses in the middle of corn fields.

Yeah, that snow was crazy. My DH was up in Minnesota (20 miles from Canada) on business yesterday and he was really hoping for some snow up there so that he could test drive a snowmobile at Polaris. He was shocked when I told him that we had snow down here. He should have just stayed here

#5 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ha ha. I called my parents (they live in Columbus) and told them it was snowing up here. My mom thought I was kidding around, but told her I was serious. I don't think she really thought I was serious until she saw photos of the snow in Mansfield on their local news channel.

You mentioned Polaris--I really need to go shopping there. Ok, I don't need to, but I want to because I want to go to The Gap, since the one at the mall here closed. So many things have closed up around here that I wish were still around...Ruby Tuesday...TGIFridays...and some others I cannot think of at the moment. Argh. It's so depressing to go to Ontario anymore. Do you come to that part of town often?
#6 of 19 Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Wow, small world... my Dad lives down around Columbus. He's in Delaware, but that's always our excuse for heading down there, dropping off the kids, and going shopping. I was just telling my DH yesterday that I needed another shopping trip to Whole Foods.

I didn't even know that The Gap had closed. It's been a couple of years since I went to the mall. I do head over that way when I really need a certain store or if I'm craving some Greek food. Every time I go over that way I'm surprised at how many things have closed. We were there a couple weeks ago and I was shocked to see that Michaels and Pier 1 had closed. When I was in high school, Ontario was always getting something new and it was the place to be. I guess that was about 15 years ago

Have you lived in Mansfield for a long time?

#7 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Whole Foods?! I love that place! I stop there too when I am in C-bus also. I wish Mansfield would get one, but I just don't see that kind of a store as a high demand store around here. I see C-bus as being a more trendy area than say Mansfield. Of course not everyone that shops there does to be trendy--they do it to actually be healthy. But there are those who do to be trendy! Which one do you shop at? I am guessing the one off 161, although there is one on Lane Ave. too (used to be Wild Oats, but they got bought out by Whole Foods). I actually liked Wild Oats more plus it was a smaller store/building. There is another health food market called The Fresh Market that I like too, which is off of Henderson Rd. (Do I sound like a nerd or what? ) Lol.

I hardly go to the mall here. Its so small I hardly find it worth going to unless I really need something from there. Funny I say this since I am planning to go there today. Lol. Growing up in the city with 50 malls to choose from tends to make you a little picky when you move to a smaller town and have fewer resources. Ha ha.

Oh, and I really miss Pier1 too. Loved that store!!!

It's funny when I go back home to C-bus and see all that has built up or changed. I mention a change to my parents and they are like, 'Oh yeah, that's been gone for months'. It's crazy how fast things come and go.

I've lived in Mansfield since Summer of 2004, but yet it feels like so much longer. I'd like to move somewhere else (out of the state or country), but I just don't ever see us actually moving too far from Mansfield. At least I moved out of Columbus like I always wanted to. So I should be grateful about that at least right? Ha ha. Beggars can't be choosers they say.
#8 of 19 Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Hey I'm not too far... I'm in Wooster. I'm 21 and a mother of a step daughter who is 7 and a 15 month old son It's hard to find like minded momma's around this area!! And it's very very frustrating lol.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#9 of 19 Old 11-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Yeah!

I've been looking for someone in the Wooster area for quite a while. My husband works over in Wooster and that's the area we tend to go to for shopping and doctors. Are you involved in the Local Roots Market? We went there for the first time last weekend and I was pretty impressed.

#10 of 19 Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkysquirrel View Post
I'd like to move somewhere else (out of the state or country), but I just don't ever see us actually moving too far from Mansfield. At least I moved out of Columbus like I always wanted to. So I should be grateful about that at least right? Ha ha. Beggars can't be choosers they say.
My DH and I always talk about where we're going to move. I would do it, but it's just talk for my DH. He would move to another state, but another country is out. We lived in Germany for a couple years and that was very interesting and enlightening. We adopted some of the lifestyle and attitude while living there and unfortunately it has made it even more difficult to fit in where we live.

#11 of 19 Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post
Hey I'm not too far... I'm in Wooster. I'm 21 and a mother of a step daughter who is 7 and a 15 month old son It's hard to find like minded momma's around this area!! And it's very very frustrating lol.
I know where that is! In fact I used to eat at the Bob Evens right off the exit when I would come up to the area with my aunt to visit a friend.
#12 of 19 Old 11-14-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
We lived in Germany for a couple years and that was very interesting and enlightening.
I imagine so! If you had the opportunity to go back there, would you?
#13 of 19 Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkysquirrel View Post
I imagine so! If you had the opportunity to go back there, would you?
I dream of going back for a month or two, but living there was hard. My DH eventually became fluent in the language, but I really struggled with it. That made everyday life more difficult. Just basic things like calling the pediatrician were really stressful. The traveling, the food, and the chance to experience another culture was wonderful.

I would definitely take another year or two and live in another country, but I would want it to be somewhere different and preferably English speaking this time

#14 of 19 Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Scotland on my honeymoon and loved it. I wouldn't mind living there, but I do realize it will cost quite a bit more than here.

I imagine living in a foreign country and not being familiar with the language could pose some issues. I think if I ever moved to a spanish speaking country I would do ok--I love learning foreign languages. But Asian languages seem like that would be really difficult to catch on to. I wish I took some language classes like those in college, but never did. Oh well.

I always threaten my husband that I am going to move to Canada to live--they have a lot of things I like. Cooler weather, hockey and Tim Hortons. Ha ha. Oh well. It's good to have a dream.
#15 of 19 Old 11-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey ladies! I'm a 29 year old mom of a 2 year old boy and 3 1/2 year old girl. I live in Mount Vernon and am looking to chat with like minded moms (As you know they are few are far between or I'm looking in all the wrong places). My name is Jessica by the way.
#16 of 19 Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Howdy! I know where Mt. Vernon is--been there several times and even got my cats from a place there too.
#17 of 19 Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 PM

For those of you looking to meet like-minded mamas in the Mansfield area:

I just wanted to let you know that the final plans are being completed to start a chapter of "Holistic Mom's Network" in the Mansfield area!

First meeting in early Feb, 2011.... I'll post more specific details within the next week  :)

Tricia
Traditional Birth Attendant
Northern Ohio
#18 of 19 Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Hello there! I'm about 15 minutes from Mansfield, OH and I'm definitely interested in meeting up with like-minded parents. There are so few of us in this area! I am 30 and I have a 2.5 yr old daughter and am expecting baby #2 in August. I will be moving to Canton in Jan/Feb, but my whole family is near the Bucyrus/Mansfield area. Oh, and I am still looking for a homebirth midwife (already have a doula).

#19 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 AM

I haven't seen any additional information about the Holistic Moms Network meeting in the Mansfield area so I did a search and found this:
Quote:

WELCOME TO OUR COMMUNITY!

Welcome to the website of the Richland County/Mid-Ohio Chapter of the Holistic Moms Network! Our upcoming chapter is a newly forming group of holistic moms from throughout Mid-Ohio. We welcome all area parents with an interest in holistic health and green living.

Our goal is to develop a thriving local community of holistic parents with a wide range of interests. Our chapter will kick off its activities with an Open House on Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 10:30 a.m. at the Ontario Library located at 2221 Village Mall Drive in Ontario. Come on out, get connected to other like-minded moms and dads, and catch the excitement of our new community! The Open House is free and open to the public! Join us!

Grandparents, partners, and other caregivers are also welcome as members into our organization! Even future parents will find that our organization is a great place to learn and make new friends! Moms-to-be and new moms are encouraged to attend, ask questions, and seek to be informed. We hope you will join us!

Here is the link.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page