Finding a nanny (live-in or live-out) in SE Mich - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been searching for a nanny and we aren't finding anyone good or when we do find someone good they back out at the last minute. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a good nanny in the area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 PM

did you try: care.com, enannysource.com, nannies4hire.com, sitters.com ? those are some great ones! good luck

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#3 of 9 Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaDoula View Post
did you try: care.com, enannysource.com, nannies4hire.com, sitters.com ? those are some great ones! good luck
Ugh! I've tried a couple of them and after our experiences I'm hesitant to try others since I have to pay for the sites each time and then end up out the money and no nanny. I think the problem is everyone is struggling to find a job right now and when they can't find anything they think they should be a nanny because it's easy work. You would be shocked to hear some of the answers to interview questions from some of these girls...and most of the girls we have interviewed haven't even acknowledged my son when they were here.

(Disclaimer: That's a general statement based on what I have been seeing. I know not everyone is like that...I just wish I could find someone worth the money!)
#4 of 9 Old 01-04-2010, 12:03 AM

I understand where you're coming from! How about craigslist? Or, are there any nanny agencies by you? Or, what about posting an ad at a local college?

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#5 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Where in SE Michigan? And what are your requirements? If you are willing to allow a mother to bring her own children along as playmates for your son, I think you'll find better candidates. I know a lot of people feel that bringing their child means that your own child won't get full attention and that is what you are paying for...but personally, I *want* a caregiver that has a mother's instinct and is experienced enough to have gone through a lot of the paces of child-rearing and has done a good job with her own kids. The problem is, what is a mom who would be a great nanny supposed to do with her own kids while she comes to nanny for you? To me, I think you would find a lot more options open up, if you have been excluding those types of candidates in the past (I have no idea if you have or haven't, just something I thought I'd bring up).
#6 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickityChinah View Post
Where in SE Michigan? And what are your requirements? If you are willing to allow a mother to bring her own children along as playmates for your son, I think you'll find better candidates. I know a lot of people feel that bringing their child means that your own child won't get full attention and that is what you are paying for...but personally, I *want* a caregiver that has a mother's instinct and is experienced enough to have gone through a lot of the paces of child-rearing and has done a good job with her own kids. The problem is, what is a mom who would be a great nanny supposed to do with her own kids while she comes to nanny for you? To me, I think you would find a lot more options open up, if you have been excluding those types of candidates in the past (I have no idea if you have or haven't, just something I thought I'd bring up).

I am a SAHM right now but I worked at a daycare until they had to lay me off due to low enrollment- I loved it there, and they loved me back because I am a mom and I was good with the kids and treated them like I treat my own DD, who was allowed to come to work with me. It was wonderful.

The only work I'd consider taking now would be another daycare situation like that or nannying for a family that would let me bring DD. My best friend is a nanny in the West Bloomfield area (sorry OP, she's taken) and a lot of the other nannies she sees are, I'm sorry for saying this, but relatively clueless young girls with no kids. IDK why someone would pay nanny wages for that caliber of childcare when they could have an experienced mama with a playmate for their kids "built in".
#7 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM

I don't know where you are, but if you're near the Ann Arbor area check out www.mynannyrocks.com. I think it's different than the big nanny databases.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#8 of 9 Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 AM

I have had 3 nannies.

The first one - an MDC mom *waves to chelsea* We loved her. My little girl at the time was around 18 months old and she had just had a baby and it worked out well -she was with us for about 4 months and moved on to bigger and better things. She did well with bringing her little one -I think sometimes it was hard for her to pack her baby up for 6:30 am but she did amazing. I never really felt her having a nursling with her took away from any of Violets care. I think if Violet was more active and they went out it may have been an issue but no problems.

Our second Nanny we found during the process of Chels leaving, I posted on motorcitymoms dot com and got flamed off the board because I didnt pay enough money but somehow W saw our ad and contacted us - she was awesome. She was an young grandma type and she was with us for abit and with me during the birth of our second child.

Our current and third Nanny we found on craigslist. She is great with my girls.

Craigslist is great but oh my god some of the people that show up at your house or the place you agree to meet are SCARY.

We paid for sittercity and often found that people sounded great but never followed through with meeting.

I never paid for care.com but folks looked ok on there.

We personally could never afford a nanny agency.

I think craigslist and watching it DAILY is the best chance for this area. Also word of mouth - call daycares -ask if they have anyone they had to let go, ask your local play and music gymboree, call the universities and ask for education students.

We are very very limited based on what we can pay so it is really tedious to find someone, that and I am a demanding, pain in the butt

Oh - the other thing - I would ALWAYS be open for a mom to bring a child with her but my biggest concern is car issues. We have 2 kids and 2 huge car seats and most cars, you can not safely install 3 car seats in across. Especially if the person is a Nanny - they do not want to dedicate their car 24/7 to their job and lose their backseat. I expect our Nannys to be able to go to a park, library, play center, etc and unless they have a van or a third row - getting out is impossible.

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd contact doulas, LLL group chat boards, and childbirth educators in your area, as well as local churches, looking for mothers who are looking to bring their kids with them. I cannot tell you how many new mothers I have worked with in the last year who have looked for a Nanny job so that they can bring in money but still have their baby with them.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page