Dayton Moms & Pops 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for a new thread. Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone enjoyed their families during the holidays. I almost ate to the back of my freezer this past year. My resolution for this year involves yoga. Do yoga every day. My kid is getting into yoga too. I highly recommend the Gaiam Yoga Kids DVD series with Marsha Wenig.

What is the best thing you did in 2009, something that made you proud, a lessen you learned or something that simply made you happy?

In the aim of simplicity, I have down sized my belongs. Also, I've eaten even more local/organic foods, started homeschooling, finalized my will and bought my first home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM

*sigh*

why is our group so inactive?? I know we're out there!!!

Jamie 24 yr old mama to K Paige 6, Chloah Liz 4, homebirth Addison Elliot 1 (11.17.08) proud aunt to Marley Colt (2.11.08):::
Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM

I think we are all busy with kids and our own lives. I find lately that most of my computer time is while I am nursing my 27 month old, and she wont let me type while she is nursing.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
I think we are all busy with kids and our own lives. I find lately that most of my computer time is while I am nursing my 27 month old, and she wont let me type while she is nursing.
cool but I see most of us elsewhere that's why I said that. I just wish we'd all post a little more here! No biggie.

Jamie 24 yr old mama to K Paige 6, Chloah Liz 4, homebirth Addison Elliot 1 (11.17.08) proud aunt to Marley Colt (2.11.08):::
Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM

We are here! I have been doing most of the same. We are also doing lots of playing in the snow and trying to stay warm!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:05 PM

We brought snow inside since the littles have been sick on and off.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Hi Ladies!

We are very excited to announce that a Springboro La Leche League Group is about to be started in February 2010! We will begin on Tuesday February 9 at 7:00 pm at the Springboro Municipal Building in the Community Room. Meetings will be held the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00. We encourage you to bring your babies and meet some other breastfeeding mothers in the community!

Please help us spread the word about this new group! Yahoo groups, facebook, myspace, twitter, whatever you are on, and don't forget your friends and family! We want to give this group the good start it needs and help it grow.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLHeather View Post
Hi Ladies!

We are very excited to announce that a Springboro La Leche League Group is about to be started in February 2010! We will begin on Tuesday February 9 at 7:00 pm at the Springboro Municipal Building in the Community Room. Meetings will be held the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00. We encourage you to bring your babies and meet some other breastfeeding mothers in the community!
YAY! I'll be there!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie19 View Post
*sigh*

why is our group so inactive?? I know we're out there!!!
I just forget to check in here. My kids are keeping me busy so I only have a quick minute to pop on facebook and occasionally check my email.

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Just have to post how I hate our birth climate. I have had a negative feeling about having US this pregnancy, and when I had mine today it confirmed why.

Most of the measurements for the baby were measuring 5, yes 5 weeks, ahead of where I am at. Head, leg bones, stomach. Not sure what other measurements they take into consideration to get your gestational average...

So, my EDD is most likely going to be changed by at least 3 weeks, if not up to 5 weeks. I wont know for another month, as going by LMP I am only 23 weeks and in the once a month still phase, going by US I am anywhere from 26-28 weeks. And you can guess what that means, for a momma who normally gestates to 42 weeks, AND is a VBAC.

Even if they only move me back 3 weeks, that means I wont even make it to my edd before being required to have a c/s for post dates and a tight, high closed cervix. That is if they even let me get to 42 weeks before wanting to c/s, so it could be even earlier.

Oh, BTW - if you are pregnant and going to perinatal partners for an US, they will not allow children back in the US rooms at MVH (signs posted all over my OB's office about their policy). So, if you can arrange to have your US done either in your OB's office or one of their other locations, you might want to consider it.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Just have to post how I hate our birth climate. I have had a negative feeling about having US this pregnancy, and when I had mine today it confirmed why.

Most of the measurements for the baby were measuring 5, yes 5 weeks, ahead of where I am at. Head, leg bones, stomach. Not sure what other measurements they take into consideration to get your gestational average...

So, my EDD is most likely going to be changed by at least 3 weeks, if not up to 5 weeks. I wont know for another month, as going by LMP I am only 23 weeks and in the once a month still phase, going by US I am anywhere from 26-28 weeks. And you can guess what that means, for a momma who normally gestates to 42 weeks, AND is a VBAC.

Even if they only move me back 3 weeks, that means I wont even make it to my edd before being required to have a c/s for post dates and a tight, high closed cervix. That is if they even let me get to 42 weeks before wanting to c/s, so it could be even earlier.

Oh, BTW - if you are pregnant and going to perinatal partners for an US, they will not allow children back in the US rooms at MVH (signs posted all over my OB's office about their policy). So, if you can arrange to have your US done either in your OB's office or one of their other locations, you might want to consider it.
:-/ That was a big draw back for us about FBs, the post date "rule" I went to 42w 2d with our last baby and she wasn't even my latest baby. So if we'd have chosen to birth there I'd have been induced or risked out. I saw Dr. Guy's MWs at 42w and not a word was uttered about induction, I was really glad too. I wouldn't have but wasn't up to fight about it, but I'd made it clear at that point I wouldn't be birthing with them, unless it was an emergency transfer.

THAT and when we toured FBs there was a huge NO VBACS in perm marker on the sign in folder. I haven't had a c-section but that just turned me off from there.

Are they going to have another U/S to confirm that you are measuring "ahead" or just base it off this us?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 AM

The no VBAC at FB is the main reason we are/were planning home birth, but wanted OB care just in case something happened and because the one set of charges came about about the time I found out I was pregnant.

I honestly have no clue what is going to happen. I have never seen Dr. H's office so out of whack as I did today, and it was only 8:30 in the morning with both Dr. H and Dr. W there.

I mean, I got called back, weighed, sent to give the required sample in a cup. Walked into the room, the nurse grabbed Dr. H as he was walking by and said need her done now she has a 9 US. She took my BP while he reviewed my chart. He measured fundal height while she put BP cuff up; He listed to heart tones while she did the urine dip test. Then I was given the GD test forms, and walked down the hall to US. Which was another nightmare in and of itself, when the machine froze and basically had to be started from scratch putting the US tech behind.

Once Dh gets the boys down, I am going to go watch the video (now watch my luck, the video machine didn't work either). I am going to see if I can take notes on the measurements.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The no VBAC at FB is the main reason we are/were planning home birth, but wanted OB care just in case something happened and because the one set of charges came about about the time I found out I was pregnant.

I honestly have no clue what is going to happen. I have never seen Dr. H's office so out of whack as I did today, and it was only 8:30 in the morning with both Dr. H and Dr. W there.

I mean, I got called back, weighed, sent to give the required sample in a cup. Walked into the room, the nurse grabbed Dr. H as he was walking by and said need her done now she has a 9 US. She took my BP while he reviewed my chart. He measured fundal height while she put BP cuff up; He listed to heart tones while she did the urine dip test. Then I was given the GD test forms, and walked down the hall to US. Which was another nightmare in and of itself, when the machine froze and basically had to be started from scratch putting the US tech behind.

Once Dh gets the boys down, I am going to go watch the video (now watch my luck, the video machine didn't work either). I am going to see if I can take notes on the measurements.
Well I mean obviously everyone (including drs) have 'off' days but that is crazy, is there anyway you can call and talk to the dr before your next appointment? I can't see them going off this u/s especially considering it froze up and you were rushed around. If they do... well I'd be looking into other OB options too.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Hi everyone!

I haven't been around here much because I've been getting my internet fix on facebook.

Things are going well. I've just started watching a little girl in our home four days a week. Things can get a little hairy around dinner time, but it sure beats being out of the house four days a week at the pharmacy.

DD is doing great with homeschooling. She is turning 5 in July and we're thinking about what our plans for kindergarten will be. We've ruled out public school for the moment (class size is too high for my comfort) and a few private schools. I've been considering continuing to homeschool, but I hate the way that I feel when people tell me about all that she'll "miss" if I don't get her into school. I worry that if statements like that zap my confidence so easily then maybe I'm not cut out for it.

DS just turned 2. He's working on loving the snow. He called it yucky in November, but this month everytime he looks out the window he screams "SNOW!!!"
Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM

April-May, I have no doubt in your ability to homeschool your daughter. Everyone who homeschools has gotten the questions about socialization and while they might lessen over time they will probably continue the entire time you choose homeschooling for your family. You've done a great job with handling similar issues like breastfeeding and extended nursing and natural birthing options so you will be more than capable than dealing with these kinds of questions people have. There's no real time to "socialize" at school and aren't teachers always saying "stop socializing" to their students? Friendships and socializing develop outside of the classroom more than inside. Most homeschooled children are very socialized through different activities: church, co-ops, sports, art/music lessons, library story time, etc. Don't give up if you think it's right for your child!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 AM

Well said Heather
Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

"Homeschooling is easy. There are no lions."
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 AM

How many homeschooling families are on here? Any south of Dayton?
This is the first year I will have to notify and I'm already starting to get a little nervous on what to do - with what to send in, what to keep track of, etc. How do you account for and keep track of the 900 hours/year?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 AM

we homeschool!!! We live in East Dayton, but I know there are lots in the area. Notifying is fairly straightforward. Email me if you need help.

Stacey
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I homeschool in East Dayton. I'll have to notify next year.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Aw, thanks!

We're in Kettering. We wouldn't have to notify this year, but if we don't and change our minds next year then she'd have to repeat Kindergarten. So I think if we do homeschool this year we'll go ahead and notify, just to be safe.

I've gotten quite a few curriculum and supply catalogs in the last couple weeks. Lots to look at still, but I'm feeling a little better about things.

So who's ready for Spring?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes ready for spring!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Speaking of school - DPS is has an enrollment open house on Saturday at Stivers from 12-4 for incoming Kinders for 2010-2011 school year.

Also, from the paperwork I have, it looks like they are trying to put the incoming students this year in their neighborhood school, as we were not offered to pick a school, but rather:

1) School close to your home;
2) School of sibling;
3) If existing pre-school student, same school going to pre-school at;
4) District wide programs (Charity Adams; Dayton Boys Prep; Rivers Edge Mont.)
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Hi Ladies,

Last minute reminder about the first La Leche League of Springboro meeting Tuesday, February 9 at 7:00 pm at the Springboro Municipal Building in the Community Room. We hope to have plenty of new faces there to kick off this meeting.

Hopefully the snow will hold off til after the meeting tomorrow night but in the event of inclement weather we will have to cancel and meet next month, but we will post on here if that happens. Cross those fingers that it holds off ladies!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLHeather View Post
Hi Ladies,

Last minute reminder about the first La Leche League of Springboro meeting Tuesday, February 9 at 7:00 pm at the Springboro Municipal Building in the Community Room. We hope to have plenty of new faces there to kick off this meeting.

Hopefully the snow will hold off til after the meeting tomorrow night but in the event of inclement weather we will have to cancel and meet next month, but we will post on here if that happens. Cross those fingers that it holds off ladies!!
Hi Ladies,

We will go ahead and cancel tonight's LLL of Springboro meeting due to the weather. We'll look for you next month on March 9!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 AM

Hi all,

I may be moving to Dayton next month (if DH's job stuff goes thru). Can anyone pass on any recs for selective/delayed vax friendly pediatricians, and family physicians/internists in general? I'd prefer a female.

Also, can you all tell me about the birth culture here? I had my first in a freestanding BC, second in a hospital BC (but basically like freestanding), and I am loath to birth in a typical hospital setting. I went to fast in my first 2 and really want my waterbirth for #3. I'm not expecting, but plan to TTC next year.

Thanks for any help you can give! I'll probably cross post in a separate thread as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM

We are once again announcing the start up of the La Leche League of Springboro group on March 9 at 7:00pm at the Springboro Municipal Building in the Community Room. We don't appear to be experiencing any nasty weather this time so we hope to see you there!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:45 AM

We have the pukies

anyone else under the weather during this awesome weather????

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Odd Question - But I have been house cleaning (as in deep deep deep recesses of the house cleaning). I came across several boxes from before I got married and we moved that have way expired medications (both RX and OTC).

I know it is no longer recommended to flush them down the potty, and you shouldn't just throw them in the trash...

So, where can I legally and safely dispose of these at?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 PM

I have taken it to the pharmacy before. It is sad but I think most people put it in the trash or potty Good for you thinking of the water supply and health of others. On a side note Gabe brought me a pill today that he found. We have no clue how he got it we did not even have that kind of pill in the house.

User Tag List