midwives in Fort Wayne and surrounding area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. I'm new to this online community. I was advised by a trusted mom friend that this would be a great place to come to ask around about midwives in the area. I'm not sure whether I want a home or hospital birth, and haven't interviewed any midwives yet. I'm looking for a situation that keeps the baby and I as safe as can be while allowing me the most freedoms possible in my laboring and parenting decisions, feeling that I don't have to fight all my caregivers every step of the way and that I can trust them because they share my philosophy of childbirth. I am also looking to avoid an unnecessary cesarean section, since in our area, the rate is 30%, about twice as high as it should be. I would like the most natural birth possible that is also very safe and avoids a c-section. (I realize SOME c-sections are necessary, many are not.) I also don't want to be judged by hospital staff when I implement attachment parenting practices and reject newborn care protocols left and right. I want to do what's best for my baby, but sometimes that conflicts with what hospitals normally do for newborns. For example, I want to forgo early separation for the baby to be bathed, nurse on demand and ignore the push for more scheduled feedings, and use the kangacarrier for sleeping. (Co-sleeping is VERY frowned upon in the hospitals here to say it mildly.) If I do give birth in the hospital, I want to know that the hospital cannot override my decision-making or the midwife's decision making, such as when the hospital thinks a c-section is necessary when it isn't. However, if I am not going to come accross these problems in a hospital, then I would like to have a hospital birth, because with our insurance plan, a hospital birth would actually be less expensive for us. I think homebirth would cost at least twice as much.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have about choosing a midwife.
#2 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Hi there, I'm a student CNM and former L&D nurse in the Fort Wayne area. I do know of midwives who attend births in local hospitals, you can look up Andrea Yoder, or Linda Roberts, they are CNM's and work with OB's and have privileges at hospitals in Fort Wayne. Stephanie VanDerHorst and Michelle Hileman are up in Auburn. (I hope it is ok to put all those actual names in this message, it is info that is available in a phone book ) I also know of other midwives who attend home births here in Fort Wayne and in the surrounding areas. Two websites you should check out are (http://moonstonemidwifery.com) and (http://www.michianamidwife.com). We unfortunately do not have a birth center close by (there is one in Goshen and one in Muncie and one in Indy, and that's it for our state).

Good places to contact like minded folks in Fort Wayne include birth matters (www.birthmatters.com) and the Doula Network of Fort Wayne (http://www.fortwaynedoula.com). The local birth climate is very physician-dominated, but there are plenty of us in the area working toward having the midwifery model of care available to all women who want it. My dream is that one day any woman in this area can plan with her midwife the home, birth center, or hospital birth she desires. Such a simple dream, and not too crazy, right?

hippie.gifwannabe and treehugger.gif married to one of the same.

Our household includes: DH(40), me(32), B. the musk turtle (13), P. the brown tabby (9), and F. the beagle mix (6)

#3 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate it!
#4 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Linda Roberts CNM delivered my son and she's fabulous! IMO!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM

I haven't delivered yet (39 weeks and 2 days right now), but Linda Roberts is my midwife and I love her. I can't speak to the local hospitals yet but I'm delivering at Parkview North because that's where Linda and my doula recommended. So far, they (hospital folks) seem pretty amenable to most things that I want.
#6 of 6 Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM

I second looking into moonstone midwifery. Grechen was wonderful to me when I was attempting a home birth. You can tell that she really loves what she does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page