Akron Ohio Birthing options - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just found out that I'm pregnant with my 2nd. My first was born in a hospital setting with no pain meds or intervention. I would love to have a similar natural birth with my second. However I don't want to have to fight the hospital system to get what I want.

Are there any natural-birth friendly OB/GYNs in the area or any midwives that I could possible look at? I am open to going to a birth center or having a home birth but I'd ideally like to be in the hospital for backup, but not have all the interventions and residents and monitoring that goes along with a hospital birth.

I've heard of Paragon, would anybody recommend this practice?
#2 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 AM

Hi, I'm due shortly and I'm going to Akron City Hospital - I'm a little different situation than you, since this is a VBA3C, but I was there with my last one, and they seemed pretty friendly (ds was squashing his cord between his head and my cervix and stopping his heart beat for too long at a time, so we ended up with a c-section and a baby in ICU for a few days despite everything else being on track for a VBAC) but they have tubs and birthing balls and stuff... (you can check thier website for a brochure)
I remember when we were looking for a place last time we liked the Wadsworth-Rittman Hospital and the Medina one especially, but I think the maternity section of the Wadsworth-Rittman one is closing, and I haven't heard anything about the Medina one (haven't looked into it in a few years). The Wadsworth Women's center is pretty good for natural childbirth, they have OBs, nurses and nurse-midwives - they have priveledges at Akron City and Akron General. Though if you go there ask for Dr DeMund, she's much more open to natural childbirth than Dr Bowden. I haven't dealt with the nurse-midwives much, just because this is considered a high-risk pregnancy (been a number of issues, plus being a VBA3C).
I haven't heard of Paragon, can't say anything one way or another. Hope that helps a little.
#3 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I am moving to Akron and am interested in a vba2c. Is dr demond who you would recommend? I'd really love to go to a midwife, but my second c-section was at 30 weeks so I'm considered high risk. I don't know of a midwife would see me. Also is there a birthing center in the Akron area?
#4 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 PM

It is such a shame that the Wadsworth unit closed.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#5 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Hi Khoffman, 

You wrote: " I'd really love to go to a midwife, but my second c-section was at 30 weeks so I'm considered high risk. I don't know of a midwife would see me."

IN today's maternity arena, all expectant mothers with history of c-section are considered and labeled "high-risk".  In your case, there may be every good reason to maintain that or there may not be.  An interview with some midwives might open up the opportunity to discover the confirmation of -or removal of -the doubt you have that a midwife would see you.  

Wishing you an extra-special birth day for you and your baby! 

Sandra Hess, CPM
Heartland Midwifery
Fresno, Ohio
#6 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM

I know this is a really old thread, but Sue Hudson is AMAZING!  She used to be at Wadsworth-Rittman and is now at her own practice connected with Dr. Bowden in Wadsworth. http://wellspringwomenshealth.com/

#7 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Old thread, but very helpful!  Parents need resources and options.  And recommendations are important to parents.  Did you engage Sue Hudson for care? Was it for maternal/newborn care?  

Sandra Hess, CPM
Heartland Midwifery
Fresno, Ohio
#8 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 AM

She delivered my first.  She was amazing.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#9 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Sue delivered both of my boys at Wadsworth-Rittman hospital - or as she would say, I delivered them, she was just there :).

I had a lot of complications and I believe at any other hospital with any other caregiver, I would have had an emergency C with my first and a repeat C with my second.  Instead, although I had some interventions, I felt completely in control the whole time - including a shower and breakfast on the second day of my induction with my first :).

My husband actually caught my second - it was amazing.  My dear friend is seeing her now.  She's in her 40s and all the other docs were worrying her with AMA stats.

#10 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 AM

My DS1 was born at Dunlap Memorial out in Orreville - a bit of a drive, but so worth it. They wheeled one of the monster birthing tubs into my room which I labored in for *hours* (though I didn't birth in it - I was hot and wanted out by the time he was born). DS2 was born at Pomerene Hospital in Millersburg - also nice, though not quite as wonderful as dunlap. I'd go back to dunlap in a heartbeat - they were simply fantastic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page