Homebirth in Indiana? (Xpost) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving to Terre Haute, IN soon, from Madison, WI. WI legalizes midwives through licensure, and Madison has a great assortment of midwives to choose from. We had a CNM at our last homebirth. I would not feel comfortable with a midwife who did not have legal access to pitocin and other emergency equipment (doesn't have to be a CNM though).

We're not planning on having more kids for a few more years but I want to figure out my choices before I find out I am pregnant.

Does anyone know what the homebirth scene is like in Indiana in terms of legality? Where can I find more information? We'll have CIGNA if that matters. Looking at the hospital in Terre Haute, I do NOT want to have to go there if pregnant and would more than likely try to plan a pregnancy where I could move back here for a few months rather then deliver there.

Cross posting this in Homebirth.

Thanks!
Devon
#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's kinda legal from what I know. My homebirth mw is in IN and based out of Evansville. She carries oxygen, etc. from what I recall of her email. She has physician backup. She may be able to go that way, too. jenniferwilliamscpm.com She may know someone your way, if she can't.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I would not feel comfortable with a midwife who did not have legal access to pitocin and other emergency equipment (doesn't have to be a CNM though).
Then you would need to find a CNM to attend you, as CPM licensure isn't recognized in the state of IN, therefore their access to pit and the like is technically illegal. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

All the best!!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#4 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 AM

CPMs who have a physician back-up do carry pitocin and other emergency equipment, I know several who do. Unless you go with a CNM you will be paying out of pocket because CPMs are not covered by insurance here. There is a lovely CNM in Indianapolis who I think travels to Terre Haute, but I'm not sure. Her name is Linda Barton Kirch. As for the CPMs I don't regularly give out their names on the web to protect them but there are some who go to Terre Haute and you should be able to get in touch with them by contacting the Indiana Midwives Association .

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM

I didn't know that about the CPM's w/ backup...
I did get reimbursed for both of my births with CPM's, no issues.

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, ladies! I will definitely get ahold of IMA and ask them some questions. I'll also look up Linda Kirch.
#7 of 8 Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Lynda Barton-Kirch is who I used for my last homebirth. She is a CNM, and is absolutely wonderful. I can get you her contact info if you'd like it. She is here in Indy and I don't know how far she travels, but I know she'd would be able to give you names/numbers for other midwives.

~Kendra~
Mama to Sophia (9-12-03) Simeon (9-22-05) Alice (5-24-07) Luci (1-23-09) & Charlotte due May 16th!
#8 of 8 Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
It's kinda legal from what I know. My homebirth mw is in IN and based out of Evansville. She carries oxygen, etc. from what I recall of her email. She has physician backup. She may be able to go that way, too. jenniferwilliamscpm.com She may know someone your way, if she can't.

Jennifer is in Bloomington... Evansville is 3 hours away and sort of a barren place for homebirth options, although we do have a fledgling birth network. I am planning to UC in Evansville due to lack of options. Sucks to be a Hoosier sometimes.

Mama to my tribe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page