Homebirth midwives in Columbus, OH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I am newly pregnant and looking for a homebirth midwife in the Columbus, Ohio area. The only group I know about is CHOICE. Does anyone have experience with them? I would love to hear about it.

Does anyone know of other groups/midwives available? I am trying to consider all my options. TIA for your help!!

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 PM

I am new to the area, but also wanted to look for a midwife-though we are going to do a hospital b/c of DH concerns. A friend of mine gave me this link & I'm working on calling them. http://www.mymidwife.org/about.cfm

top right hand corner it says find midwife. I know that Columbus Neighbborhood Health Center has midwives-but they do not "deliver" which confused me a little. I'm searching too-so good luck & let me know what u find.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I have some friends who use midwives that deliver at hospitals (CNMs), I will ask them and let you know who they use!

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 PM

I have a friend in Columbus, which is about 1.5 hrs away from here. She is ttc and wants a hb, so I asked my mw down here and she said the only practice she recommends is CHOICE. Hope that helps!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM

I called several places and only found 2 practices w/ midwives & they deliver to hospitals. Sorry... The practice I found seems really awesome so far. I heard Riverside is very supportive of unmedicated labor/births-fyi. Good luck.

SAHM. BF
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 PM

Tiffany Elkins might not be too far from Columbus... she is amazing! She attended my first child's home birth as a midwife assistant... and was just wonderful!

Also, you could check with becky Fry. She is great as well. She was the head midwife at my first child's home birth and is also an EMT (which put my mom a little more at ease)

There are several others down in that area for home birth.... I can help get you their numbers if you would like.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM

I have used CHOICE for a past birth and LOVED them. I would recommend them to anyone considering a homebirth. They are a bit flaky but they rocked my birth and I'm planning on using them for my next one.

I do know of one of other midwife that is based in Licking county who does central Ohio births. If you call CHOICE (ironically) I'm pretty sure they have her contact info. I don't unfortunately. I know about her because there were a few families in my birth classes who used her (and loved her). She's cheaper than CHOICE, but you only get one midwife, not two.

BTW, FWIW, I would NOT use Riverside. It is a baby factory! I had a mom friend tell me that a nurse there told her the stat was 96% of women get some sort of pain relief and that she (on her third child) had to argue that yes really she didn't want anything. They just wouldn't believe her because it was so unusual. My midwives recommended Grant and the new hospital in Dublin as places to transfer to that were more midwife/natural birth friendly and they've experienced pretty much every central Ohio hospital. So if you're strongly considering Riverside, instead of looking at the pretty tubs and birth items ask what percent of women actually get to use them or use pain meds.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM

My BFF delivered with CHOICE almost 8 years ago. She had a very positive experience and they were also able to offer her a lot of help when her son had serious breastfeeding issues that took months to resolve. HTH.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 PM

BTW, FWIW, I would NOT use Riverside. It is a baby factory! I had a mom friend tell me that a nurse there told her the stat was 96% of women get some sort of pain relief and that she (on her third child) had to argue that yes really she didn't want anything. They just wouldn't believe her because it was so unusual. My midwives recommended Grant and the new hospital in Dublin as places to transfer to that were more midwife/natural birth friendly and they've experienced pretty much every central Ohio hospital. So if you're strongly considering Riverside, instead of looking at the pretty tubs and birth items ask what percent of women actually get to use them or use pain meds.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

I second this advice! Although I moved to Indiana a few months back, I spent years in Columbus plugged into the local birth and lactation communities, and rarely heard or saw great natural birth-related things involving Riverside. (I do know one mom who had her 4th through 6th children naturally at Riverside--she managed it by showing up fully dilated and pushing the babies out before there was time to start IVs and other interventions.) If you're interested in breastfeeding, you'll also have a much easier time of it at Grant, which has 20+ hour/day IBCLC lactation coverage with lactation-trained nurse backup, or Dublin (still too few patients for full lactation support, but a more supportive "culture" than Riverside's) than at Riverside, which has never quite joined the BF and mother-baby bonding bandwagon.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have any experience with CHOICE, but I loved CNM Becky Wagner with Women's Contemporary Health Care. She delivers at St Ann's, but waterbirth is an option. The practice is pretty laid back. They do a free meet and greet appt if you want more info.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM

It's been a while, but I just got to read all the responses.
I will have to check and see if the practice will deliver at Dublin b/c it's just as close as Riverside. I have one friend up here who delivered at Riverside & her experience was a good one. So I don't know if her dr/midwife was just really awesome and told the hospital what she was doing or what-but she did go epidural free.
I definitely want a hospital that is in favor of BF...what kind wouldn't want to be? It's like the formula people giving out advice on BF...ticks me off.
I don't care about pretty rooms, I'd rather have support & safety. Thinking I might need to look for a doula in training so I can have more support. I've heard of St Ann's, but I think it's there are a few that are closer, but I could convince hubby to go there if that's an option instead of Dublin.

SAHM. BF
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM

I wouldn't reccomend St Ann's. We had a horrible experiance there with an epidural-pushing l&d nurse and a formula pushing pp nurse. We won't be going back.

Married to David since 2/16/08. Baby wearing, breastfeeding, bed sharing, delayed vaxing, cloth diapering, SAHM to Bella, my punctual little girl, born on her due date, 9/3/09
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM

I do hear good things about CHOICE.

I also had a good experience with OSU, a so-so experience with Riverside, and have no hospital choice other than St. Ann's this time. Luckily, I do have a doula.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM

Yes, Grant is much more supportive of a natural birth and are willing to work with whatever birth plan you have. Riverside=baby factory.
Yes, there is another HB MW in Licking County. I was in the CHOICE birth class though and they do seem pretty good and i have heard good things about their doulas too.

SAHM to 4 cats, DS 5/09, DD 3/12 and 3# due 4/15. Home birthing, non vax, anti circ, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, real food eating pretty darn crunchy mama.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 PM

When you all say the Dublin hospital, which one do you mean? Is that the Stoneridge center?

Anyone have experience delivering at OSU? That's the only hospital my insurance covers.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 PM

The Dublin hospital is Dublin Methodist, the newest Ohio Health hospital. It's out off of 33 near Muirfield.

I liked OSU when I delivered there in 2004. They mostly left me alone to labor and were positive about having me walk around and sit on a birthing ball. They did not have tubs in the rooms, at least then, although they did have showers. They were pro-breastfeeding and had good lactation consultants that were easy to get for one-on-one meetings post-partum. They never asked me about circumcision at all (we don't circumcise). There was a decent bed in the post-partum room for a husband or partner. The food wasn't bad IMO.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedoc View Post
The Dublin hospital is Dublin Methodist, the newest Ohio Health hospital. It's out off of 33 near Muirfield.

I liked OSU when I delivered there in 2004. They mostly left me alone to labor and were positive about having me walk around and sit on a birthing ball. They did not have tubs in the rooms, at least then, although they did have showers. They were pro-breastfeeding and had good lactation consultants that were easy to get for one-on-one meetings post-partum. They never asked me about circumcision at all (we don't circumcise). There was a decent bed in the post-partum room for a husband or partner. The food wasn't bad IMO.
That's very reassuring; thank you. I don't think I want a water birth, but I DO want to be able to move around, use the birthing ball, etc., so that's good to hear. I had heard a couple of mixed things about OSU, ranging from it was very medicalized/staff wasn't so great to it was just fine. I really like my doctor and so if I could have a natural hospital birth with her, it would be perfect. She also did mention that there are some midwives that deliver at OSU, so I might look into that.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Please please please steer clear of OSU!! Unless their policies have changed significantly since the time I gave birth there in 2004 (which I seriously doubt since I've heard stories from other moms AND they still have cesarean rate that is through the roof!) they are the worst place to give birth in all of Columbus. I almost had an unecessary c-section there due to their over-management of my birth and faulty equipment and just a horrible experience in general. The nurses there also called one of my friends fat several times while she was in labor and were just flat out rude to her.

As far as I know the only midwives here who do home births work at CHOICE, though there is another in the area who will only deliver for Aumish moms. I had a good birth experience with them and healthy baby in 2006. I can also vouge for St. Ann's as I've also given birth there. Their c-section rate is 14% which is the lowest in the area for a hospital. If I had to choose a hospital again I would definitely choose St. Ann's.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM

This is REALLY helpful. It lets you look up numerous statistics from the hospitals in Columbus. According to them, St. Ann's now has a 24% incidence of c-sections for low-risk, first time moms. OSU is 30%. CHOICE is 4%. (I'm just really big on not having an unecesarean lol, as you can see).
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Just poking my nose in to drop a name. Deanna Baker of Belly Water Birth is a wonderful woman although, I'm not sure where's she's working right now or how far she'll travel. Also, She may be able to point you in the right direction if she cannot be of service.

GL!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 AM

Becky Frye is in Fredericktown and does home births. As mentioned above, she is also a EMT and is awesome! I had a home water birth with her and it was a great experience. I can get you her number if you want it; just private message me. Good luck!

Christine - happily married to Caleb (1/8/05), proud mommy to Lena (1/5/09), and Lincoln (4/27/10).
Old 09-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSmurf29 View Post
This is REALLY helpful. It lets you look up numerous statistics from the hospitals in Columbus. According to them, St. Ann's now has a 24% incidence of c-sections for low-risk, first time moms. OSU is 30%. CHOICE is 4%. (I'm just really big on not having an unecesarean lol, as you can see).
Yikes. My doctor's personal rate is 10% but she only delivers at OSU. I like her a lot for an OB but would prefer to birth with a midwife. However, I'm not wild about homebirth (small apartment) and my insurance only covers OSU. Although, I have also heard Marysville is good and I think my insurance does cover there.

If my doctor's C-section rate is 10%, her opinion would trump the hospital's, right? I'm new to all this and getting nervous. Ideally I'd have a birth center birth with a midwife but there are none around Columbus so I'm looking at as natural as possible hospital birth.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM

Your doctor's view can definitely be influential. My Dr when I delivered at St. Ann's was respectful of my birth plan and told the nurses to wait when they wanted to give pitocin etc. However that may have to do with it being thanksgiving - there weren't any other drs on the floor lol. It doesn't cost us much more for a homebirth than a hospital birth with insurance because of our high deductable...I don't know if there are any birth centers around or not. Last I checked there were not but that was a long time ago. But if you're not comfortable with hospital or homebirth then that is one other option to look into.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSmurf29 View Post
Your doctor's view can definitely be influential. My Dr when I delivered at St. Ann's was respectful of my birth plan and told the nurses to wait when they wanted to give pitocin etc. However that may have to do with it being thanksgiving - there weren't any other drs on the floor lol. It doesn't cost us much more for a homebirth than a hospital birth with insurance because of our high deductable...I don't know if there are any birth centers around or not. Last I checked there were not but that was a long time ago. But if you're not comfortable with hospital or homebirth then that is one other option to look into.
Every time I read about a negative hospital birth story I panic a little more. The next time I see my doctor I am going to ask her questions about what a birth at OSU is like, typically, what kind of interventions she is accustomed to seeing, etc., and I'm also going to research midwives and other options just in case. It's overwhelming--there's so much info out there and I have never done this before. If I could have a peaceful hospital birth I would be happy and fine, but it just seems like that doesn't happen very often. Maybe homebirth will be the way we go.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm having my third baby with CHOICE and wouldn't have it any other way
They are wonderful.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Blanca78 - There is only one accredited birthing center in the state of Ohio - it is inside the hospital at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton. Many moms do travel quite far to birth there, given the issues you are encountering.

Also, I know there are a few birth centers in Indiana and Michigan. You might want to consider looking into them. And also, there are I think two or three birth centers in Ohio that are not officially accredited, but might be good. You might look for those as well.

Regarding the hospitals stats vs. your doctor's stats, I would say that the fact that your doctor's stats are relatively low for c-sec is a positive. This improves your chances of a vaginal birth. However, your doctor will not be there for your entire labor. The fact that the hospital has such a high c-sec rate, I think, likely reduces your chances of having a natural, med-free birth. I would say that you can do it, but, you definitely, definitely need to be prepared.

Personally, you need to know your rights and be willing to assert them. You need to be very well-informed about natural birth and have a plan to achieve a natural birth (not, oh, I just won't ask for drugs, but a solid birth plan). You need to be sure that your doctor is completely on board with your birth plan. You also need solid support willing to advocate for you. Your DH needs to know about natural birth and be fully on board with your birth plan. I would definitely also recommend hiring a doula. She will be able to help you with your coping methods, with additional suggestions beyond what you may be prepared with, and to also advocate for you.

You do NOT have to consent to the medical procedures they want to push on you at the hospital.

You should tour the hospital ahead of time and ask lots of questions about their policies. Then, you can research to know which of those policies they can actually enforce on you and which you can decline.

Also, get more stats from your doctor beyond just c-sec. Find out about her epidural rate, narcotic rate, episiotomy rate, pitocin rate, and so on. It isn't just about c-sec vs vag - it's about intervention vs. letting nature take its course.

Good luck to you on this wonderful (and sometimes trying) journey!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Thank so much Klemomma--I am definitely looking into a doula to help me understand everything and advocate for myself. My 12 week appointment is coming up in two weeks--is 12 weeks too late to change providers? I'm planning to really ask my doctor about everything then, and if I'm not comfortable with her answers, look into a different provider.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Hey Blanca, congrats on your pregnancy
I wanted to let you know that Lisa Smithers,CNM is no longer in practice at New Life Midwifery in Marysville
Like the PP discussed, I too would look into a doula! And I don't think there would be a prob with switching providers at 12 weeks.
You CAN have a peaceful hospital birth Many women and friends I know of here in Columbus have done so! Have you looked into CHOICE for doula info,classes, etc? They do provide other services besides just having a HB/midwife.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM

12 weeks is definitely not too late to switch providers! The only time I've known women to have a difficult or impossible time to switch providers was during the third trimester.

I hope your discussion with your doctor goes well!

Also, remember that if she is 100% on board, it will mostly be the nurses at the hospital who are caring for you. So, you want a care provider who is on board, and you want to do recon on the hospital to know what you need to do to be prepared for them :-)

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanks ColumbusMomma and Klemama! I know, I was bummed to see Lisa Smithers no longer practices at Marysville. I was looking on the hospital website and couldn't find info on nurse midwives there, although it did say there were midwives--just no link to a practice or anything.

On another board, a couple of people said that they had positive, natural experiences at OSU. I am definitely leaning towards a doula or monitrice to help communicate my needs/wishes and need to make an appointment for an info session at CHOICE.

Feeling much more secure/on top of things now--thanks for all the helpful input!

User Tag List