Midwife in Columbus,OH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm very new to the area & would love to find a midwife. Any reccomendations would be appreciated. I've talked to one location but they don't deliver-just w/ you throughout pregnancy. TIA!

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't see the pp w/ similiar question. I am looking for midwife-but hospital birth instead of home. TIA

SAHM. BF
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 PM

www.choicemidwives.org

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 AM

The midwives at Women's Contemporary Healthcare (http://www.wchcare.com/faq1.html) attend births at St. Ann's hospital, which has long been one of the area's more natural birth-friendly places. My understanding is that they are the only practice in Columbus that does hospital waterbirth.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I found 2 practices that have midwives that deliver. The one I chose delivers at 3 diff hospitals & has 2 offices near me. Thanks for your help ladies. I will keep St Ann's in mind if we opt for a water birth. Now I'm just going to research drug-free labors & learn as much as possible.

SAHM. BF
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 PM

So glad you found a practice that will work!

Do let us know if you have any questions about the local hospitals, etc. :-)

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to knwo about the Hospitals if anyone knows the Columbus area!
I've heard Riverside is very good about letting you control what u do and don't want about ur labor.

SAHM. BF
Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM

If you want information about your local hospitals, I'd suggest calling a local doula or two and asking them for their opinions. They're likely to have the information you're looking for, since they generally work with lots of moms looking for non-interventive births.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hope I'm not butting in here...

THe 2 offices with midwives I know of around here are Professional for Women's Health and Women's Contemporary Health Care.

I've heard that PWH really isn't very natural birth friendly. I don't have any experience with them, so I may be wrong, but I'd definately look into it and not assume that just because you're getting a midwife you're getting someone who will really support you.

I went to WCH and loved them. They're laid back and the only place I know of that gives you the water birth option in a hospital. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post
I would love to knwo about the Hospitals if anyone knows the Columbus area!
I've heard Riverside is very good about letting you control what u do and don't want about ur labor.
My experience with Riverside was that they will only deviate from hospital protocol with your provider's advance (written) permission.

Things may have changed in the past 2.5 yrs, however.

One doula we interviewed said a natural birth was easiest at Grant.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM

And an FYI to others reading this thread for info, Kingsdale Gyn has banned doulas from their practice, if you didn't see the thread here on MDC about it.

http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?t...gic-associates

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
And an FYI to others reading this thread for info, Kingsdale Gyn has banned doulas from their practice, if you didn't see the thread here on MDC about it.

http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?t...gic-associates

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Yeah. I sent them a "I'm done with your practice, please send my records to..." letter.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM

I go to Women's Contemporary Healthcare's midwives, and I really like it so far. At this point they seem like my best option for getting the natural birth options I want.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I hope I didn't make a mistake, but I'm going to Professionals for Women's Health. I've met w/ one midwife at one office and she was really nice. I started out at Kingsdale and just didn't have a good feeling at all & that was just from going in and them getting my history & bloodwork. I left before I even heard about the no doula rule on the news. I'm meeting w/ a diff midwife b/c I'm going to a closer office. So we will see how it goes. I would prefer not to switch, but if get a bad feeling I will switch.
Without pregnancy...I'm a very stubborn person at times so I don't have a problem putting my foot down. I think I'm going to look for a doula who is in training and charge cheap or not at all. Don't know how to find one...any suggestions???
I haven't heard of Grant hospital, maybe it's not close to me b/c I've heard of 4 others.

SAHM. BF
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Ugh! Timely information. I had my first appointment with PWH today and left feeling like it was too clinical. They were fine, it just wasn't a good fit.

My first was through CHOICE at home, but my labor was so fast and dd had to transfer to NICU. I was thinking I might just do a hospital at the closest place to us so that we wouldn't be separated like last time.

I am going to have to think about this more. At least go talk to CHOICE.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 AM

Monica82, Grant Medical Center is in downtown Columbus (http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodygrant.cfm?id=391). It is in the same hospital network (OhioHealth) as Riverside but has very different practices with regard to labor, birth, and mother-infant care.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner04 View Post
Monica82, Grant Medical Center is in downtown Columbus (http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodygrant.cfm?id=391). It is in the same hospital network (OhioHealth) as Riverside but has very different practices with regard to labor, birth, and mother-infant care.
Yes, Grant is MUCH less intervention happy than Riverside. I have heard Riverside called the "baby factory"
Grant practices "kangaroo care" My DS never left my side! I had ended up transfering there for my planned HB.
The nurses were great! And did not give me the "evil eye" for being a HB transfer, and did not treat my MW with any disrespect.
Although if you want your placenta, ha, thats going to be a fight, just "steal it" if you get the chance way easier than going through the "proper" channels. Grant is right dowtown by the library.

SAHM to 4 cats, DS 5/09, DD 3/12 and 3# due 4/15. Home birthing, non vax, anti circ, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, real food eating pretty darn crunchy mama.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
HRJ

Quote:
I found 2 practices that have midwives that deliver. The one I chose delivers at 3 diff hospitals & has 2 offices near me. Thanks for your help ladies. I will keep St Ann's in mind if we opt for a water birth. Now I'm just going to research drug-free labors & learn as much as possible.
I would be interested in this information if you could share. I have to use Ohio Health hospitals due to insurance - can't go to St Ann's.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
HRJ

Quote:
I hope I didn't make a mistake, but I'm going to Professionals for Women's Health. I've met w/ one midwife at one office and she was really nice. I started out at Kingsdale and just didn't have a good feeling at all & that was just from going in and them getting my history & bloodwork. I left before I even heard about the no doula rule on the news. I'm meeting w/ a diff midwife b/c I'm going to a closer office. So we will see how it goes. I would prefer not to switch, but if get a bad feeling I will switch.
Without pregnancy...I'm a very stubborn person at times so I don't have a problem putting my foot down. I think I'm going to look for a doula who is in training and charge cheap or not at all. Don't know how to find one...any suggestions???
I haven't heard of Grant hospital, maybe it's not close to me b/c I've heard of 4 others.
My OB only delivers at St Ann's and Grant. So i have discovered that they have tubs there - you aren't allowed to birth in them (at least they said my dr wouldn't let me), but you can labor in them. And my OB appparently lets women who are induced with pitocin get in the tub. I like my OB - I am just not sure I like all his backups. So I wonder if I a hospital birth with a midwife is possible at Grant.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM

I am planning on delivering at Grant Medical Center in Columbus. I just recently found out my doctor will not do a water birth, I heard Grant allows them. I tried calling the hospital to get answers but they were not helpful. Has anyone had a water birth at Grant? Also do you know of a doctor who performs the water births. I am close to my due date so I don't know how easy it will be for me to find one and I just don't know where to begin. Everything I have tried has gotten me nowhere!
Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
HRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix85 View Post
I am planning on delivering at Grant Medical Center in Columbus. I just recently found out my doctor will not do a water birth, I heard Grant allows them. I tried calling the hospital to get answers but they were not helpful. Has anyone had a water birth at Grant? Also do you know of a doctor who performs the water births. I am close to my due date so I don't know how easy it will be for me to find one and I just don't know where to begin. Everything I have tried has gotten me nowhere!
Thanks
I should be delivering at Grant in March, and my dr is pretty "think outside the box" (does bioidentical hormone balancing which got us PG, recommended Ioderal for fibrocystic breasts and querectin for my interstitial cystitis). Also, I told him I didn't want a 20 week u/s and he said he wouldn't argue w/ me about it or force me to get it. My neighbor delivered w/ him, and she says he brings his own oil to the delivery and massages the perineum when delivering. She had nearly no tearing w/ a 10 lb baby. She wanted him to induce her at 40 weeks and he wouldn't (said it wasn't good) and waited until 42 weeks to induce - he let her in the 'labor tub' even though she was induced w/ a tiny bit of pitocin. My dr even told me "I never make decisions during labor for my own personal convenience."

That said. My hubby works at Grant, and he went up there to see if it was true that there were 'birthing tubs' there. The nurse told him 'now these aren't birthing tubs, these are labor tubs. I know your dr, and know he won't let you push that baby out in the water.' Now. I don't know if that his hospital policy, or just our dr. From what I have heard and read though, St Ann's is the only place that does water births.

My dr also delivers at St Anns but that is not possible for us due to insurance.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm pretty sure St. Ann's is also just labor tub.
WE NEED A FREESTANDING BIRTH CENTER IN CENTRAL OHIO!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM

We do need a freestanding birth center in central Ohio! So unfortunate that there isn't one...

As for waterbirth, Women's Contemporary Healthcare in Westerville currently advertises waterbirth on the main page of its website: "When we moved to Westerville from central Columbus over three years ago, we experienced a smooth transition, thanks to the loyalty and support from our patients. In our new larger facility, we are able to provide you with the best women's healthcare possible. We are proud to be the only practice in Columbus to offer waterbirths at Mount Carmel St. Ann's Hospital" (http://www.wchcare.com/index.html). I don't have any personal experience with their midwives and can't speak to how many waterbirths they actually do or how excited the L&D staff at St. Ann's is about it, but apparently the option is there.

Best of luck!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner04 View Post

I've heard that Grant does a LOT of circumcisions, but I can't find solid anything on that.

Of course, according to the map at www.mgmbill.org, Ohio's circ rate is still over 80%, so a lot of hospitals probably do "a lot" of circs.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM

My aunt is an L&D nurse at St. Ann's and highly, highly recommended Rebecca Wagner and the other doctors/midwives at Women's Contemporary Health. I have my first appointment with her Monday.

So, it sounds like the St Anns staff- or at least some of them- are supportive!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 PM
HRJ

Just saw my OB again today (who I really, really appreciate . . . said he'd let me squat or do whatever position I want when I am pushing!). He only delivers at St Ann and Grant, and I have to go to Grant for insurance purposes. He said that Grant does a lot of skin-on-skin right after the birth and delays all procedures so mom and baby can bond and nurse. He's never seen them give the vitamin K shot while he's there. he said st ann's does all that stuff right away while he's still in the room.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM

I delivered twice with PWH before I finally got it through my head that they were heavy on the interventions and I was always going to be fighting them. I did like Dr. Amy Rahl and the CNM Carol O'Connor, but PWH is so big that you get who you get in labor. Anyway, I had to fight off an unnecessary induction during my first pregnancy (it was my due date, that's it, and they scheduled it even after I refused, so I had to refuse again when the hospital called to confirm) and got membranes stripped without my permission. They pretty much coerced me into a C-section with my second baby because they don't do vaginal breech deliveries (I know, most practices don't, but it was more the discussion that was off-putting) and pulled the "dead baby" card and told me I would be sectioned even if I showed up at the hospital 10cm dilated, so I might as well sign up for the C-section (which I reluctantly did). During my recent pregnancy, I planned a VBAC (and did have one with another practice), and PWH kept asking me at every visit if I was sure I wanted a VBAC and laying out their VBAC "rules". I switched practices at 20 weeks, after having been at PWH for 12 years.

This is long-winded, but I would be aware that even though PWH has CNMs, they are generally very medical. I kept thinking I would get a warm and fuzzy midwife experience from them, and it just was not happening.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM
HRJ

Yes, I called Professionals for Women's Health, and they said that they didn't allow doulas. They also told me that it was absolutely mandatory for a 10 week ultrasound and 20 week ultrasound. That was unacceptable to me b/c we avoid unnecessary ultrasounds, and the one at 10 weeks is unnecessary in my opinion. My current OB is allowing me to decide whether or not I want the 20 week u/s. PWH seemed VERY conventional to me despite having midwives.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 AM

I am glad I found this thread. I am 10 wks pg and currently receiving prenatal care at PWH, but had a very disappointing appointment there yesterday (saw an NP who hassled me about my weight gain after I told her I was starving constantly, and also she didn't seem very informed about ultrasound and made it pretty clear they didn't have an alternative to the Doppler). I wish it wasn't so hard to get the opinions of different people about different providers! There are a few things about this practice that make me nervous and I'm trying to decide whether to stay or go.

User Tag List