do you recommened a doula for birthing at the ABC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first birth I was induced and had a collection of pain medications. Although there were no major issues with the birth and we loved our OB, we've decided we want to do this one naturally. We're using the CNMs at Providence and giving birth at the ABC in Southfield. I'm a little nervous about a natural birth and I'm trying to decide if we need a doula. I've heard the staff is great there, so I'm not sure if we really need the extra assistance (although I'm sure it would be nice to have). DH was great at the last birth and the cost of a doula is a little out of our budget (we don't qualify for a low income one). Just wondering if others thought it was really necessary to have one.
Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 06-26-2010, 12:27 PM

I was supposed to have my first at the ABC. My water started "leaking," and I was given 24 hours (per hospital policy) to go into labor. I never did, so I was transferred from the ABC to L&D for a Pitocin induction. Granted I was a first time mom and didn't know differently, but I wonder if I would have had a doula who would have reminded me of my options, I might have gotten that ABC birth! I think doulas are *always* a good idea. Then again, I might be biased!

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#3 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 AM

I think it is a good idea. You may want to labor at home for a while and a doula can be great for that. Also if the midwives are overextended it can be nice to have one person just devoted to you. I wouldn't say it is necessary, but it can be very helpful.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 8 Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM

I recently gave birth at ABC and my doula was super-helpful. Originally, since this was our first child, we were looking for just anybody who could come help us at the hospital, so that if my husband needed a break I wouldn't be alone. After we heard a story from another couple about how they were transferred to L&D from the ABC and their doula was a godsend, we ended up hiring a very experienced doula who had attended 60+ births.

We were very lucky to have her, because we also ended up getting transferred to L&D after 4+ hours of pushing with little progress, and for an hour and a half or so it was mainly the three of us (myself, my husband, and our doula) in the room. It was fantastic to have this constantly present person who knew what I was going through (my husband was really helpful, but he couldn't understand what I was going through at the end, and it was the doula who helped push me to push my baby out).

The nurses and midwives I encountered there were fantastic, but though they came with me to L&D, they couldn't be there the whole time, and the doula was my advocate.

Of course, since this was my first (and only) child, I can't speak to how it is at the ABC without a doula.
#5 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 AM

Off the top of my head, I can recall 5 of my doula clients that were transferred out of the ABC over the last 4 years. Most of them were 1st time Moms.

I guess you can compare having a doula to kind of like having health insurance. You never know if you're going to need it, but if you do end up needing it, you're going to be awfully glad you have it.

Hope you have a wonderful birth! The nurses and midwives are great there!

Christa

Christa
#6 of 8 Old 06-29-2010, 01:57 PM

I had a birth at the ABC that was great, but I had lots of great support without a doula. My husband and myself took bradley classes and my mom had a natural childbirth and has been with several friends and my sil while they had natural childbirth as their support along with the great nurses who mostly left us alone.

I don't think it is essential but it could be really helpful and I don't think that you would regret it.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Not having a doula at our ABC-transfer to LD birth was our biggest regret. The sweet nurse on duty at the ABC came over to the LD to help us out when she could, but mostly we were on our own in the LD until our midwife was able to come in (which, due to some unusual circumstances, ended up being a while). The LD nurses just don't have the tricks and tools that the ABC nurses do, and we were just kind of lost without someone to guide us through a rather scary experience.

The odds are definitely in your favor that you will not be transferred, however, if you are, you would not regret having a doula with you. If you are not transferred, she'll be another supportive person on your birth team. My providence mw said she loved working with doulas and didn't consider them overkill at the ABC. Best wishes!

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
#8 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM

I planned an ABC birth with DD (17mo) and was transferred to L&D because of meconium in the fluid. Once I got to L&D (and somewhat in the ABC), I felt like I was negotiating for everything! (But I think part of this may have been the MW we had, who no longer practices with Metro Partners.) It would have been SO nice to have a doula there to remind me of my options and help me stay calm about transferring. It's one of the few regrets I have about DD's birth. But I agree that the ABC nurses I had were FANTASTIC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page