Need a vax exemption form for Indiana - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is entering kindergarten and Indiana is tightening up on their vax laws. I need the exemption form and can't find it. Anyone know of one and can share the link? Thanks
#2 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/indiana.htm

I'm a little concerned about the new requirements. My son has not had a vax since before K and all kids entering grade 7 this year are required to have a a chicken pox booster, meningitis vax, and a third I am forgetting ATM. I'm not sure how a religious exemption will work since they have in his school file that he has had all previous vax required.

Anyway, good luck to you and your LO.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM

I just typed up a simple for with like 3 sentences, saying I exempted myself for religious reasons, cited the law, and signed it. I got zero grief.
Rachelle Brandt likes this.

CPST
#4 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBear View Post
Indiana is tightening up on their vax laws.
They are? What's up? (I hs, but I'm in Indiana, so I'm curious.)

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#5 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14376

The 1st website shows you can only opt out for religious reasons in Indiana. The other site will give you forms. Also look at your county school district website for forms. It should have a form for opting out of shots for religious reasons.
#6 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites View Post
They are? What's up? (I hs, but I'm in Indiana, so I'm curious.)
I don't know about "tightening up", but they are requiring more shots to be given by this fall. The county health clinic has been having special shot clinics over the past few months for school kids.

#7 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post

I'm a little concerned about the new requirements. My son has not had a vax since before K and all kids entering grade 7 this year are required to have a a chicken pox booster, meningitis vax, and a third I am forgetting ATM. I'm not sure how a religious exemption will work since they have in his school file that he has had all previous vax required.

Anyway, good luck to you and your LO.

You can change your religious views at any point in your life so they shouldn't be able to give you any grief about it. They aren't even aloud to ask what religion you belong to.

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#8 of 20 Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM

That was going to be my angle. I wasn't sure how well that would go over though. DH and I both went to the same school DS1 attends, all the teachers know us and our parents. The secretary is my grandma's good friend. They *know* IRL that we have not had a spiritual epiphany, I just hope they don't challenge us. Are they allowed to do that? Can they question our exemption or ask for more proof?

#9 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Anyone can of course challenge you, but stand your ground. If they start to get personal, simple tell them religion is a personal matter to you and your immediate family (not your extended family) and you do not have to discuss it with anyone. Remember, the state is suppose to be seperate from religion. Just know your rights under law and let them know you know it. They get most parents to cave and they are not used to someone standing their groud. Just be firm and you will find they should not fight. You might have to educate them about it.
#10 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know about "tightening up", but they are requiring more shots to be given by this fall. The county health clinic has been having special shot clinics over the past few months for school kids.
If he does not have his shots by 20 days after school starts, he is expelled.
#11 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:

is that what they told you? did you take the exemption form in?

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#12 of 20 Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I can't find anywhere where that is standard protocol. The law says they must be up to date by the start of the second term or they will not be allowed back until up to date. I can't find anything stating that the consequence of not vaccinating are becoming more strict. Maybe your son's school is trying to scare you.

Janette, thanks for the info.

#13 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't find anywhere where that is standard protocol. The law says they must be up to date by the start of the second term or they will not be allowed back until up to date. I can't find anything stating that the consequence of not vaccinating are becoming more strict. Maybe your son's school is trying to scare you.

Janette, thanks for the info.
That is what was stated in the local newspaper. Maybe is a district policy only? The paper didn't specify where the policy was coming from.
#14 of 20 Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM

Hmm, I don't know. I noticed that our district stated on their website that vaccinations must be up to date prior to the first day of school, which is different than what the law says. Who knows, I suppose they can say whatever, but ultimately the state law is what needs to be followed.

#15 of 20 Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 AM

I'm not sure what the school is telling you but you need only to write a letter citing the law and claiming the religious exemption. That's it.

~Sandy
mommy to Joey 11, Ian 9, Hayden 7 and Charlie 3

#16 of 20 Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM

We've never had a problem with this. We just say "religious exemption". And sign in. No biggie. Nobody has ever asked any further questions. Its nobody's business. And honestly, nobody really seems to care, either.

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
#17 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 11:16 PM

I type up my "form" stating vaxes are against my childs and mine PERSONAL RELIGIOUS beliefs .
I have not had a problem in public elem. school -or high school .
They did get more required vaxes on the schedule .
A friend had a moms day out say they would not accept the form she typed and it was the same as mine .

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
#18 of 20 Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM

It seems to be varied by school to school here.  My middle daughter has no shots on record (she has had some but I never bothered turning in the incomplete form because she had a severe reaction and I felt it was in her best interest not vax her.)  Her school gives me no grief at all.  My oldest child his father insisted on getting him all his shots since he didn't have a reaction.  Since he had no reactions and he was much older when the reactions took place with his sister I just let my husband get him his shots and kept my mouth shut to keep the peace.  This year they wanted him to have another DTaP because he had the wrong version of the shot or some garbage.  The ped confirmed that he was not missing any shots but the school kept insisting that he had to have one more DTaP.  Now that my husband is deceased I flat out refused.   (I no longer have to keep the peace with him.)   I sent in a religious objection.  THEY put my son in the gym and would not let him attend classes unless I signed a consent form for him to get the shot. 

I wanted to fight it but my son didn't.  At 16 I respected his wishes and went ahead and signed the consent (griping and complaining) but did so only with the satisfaction of knowing that some families have opted to fight the school on the matter.

The elementary and middle school have accepted the religious exemption but the High school principal says NO way. 

So it is clear there are schools and districts that are way overstepping the bounds.  (OH and it really irked me to have to send in documentation 3 times that my son has HAD Chicken pox and when. Hello the date didn't change why did they have to keep asking.) 

Jennifer

#19 of 20 Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM

In the state of Indiana, you have the right to exempt from vaccinations. The last I checked, on medical and religious grounds. Religion is a private matter, and a safer option to list on your exempt form. Nobody can force you or deny your child into the schools and if they do, I would consider hiring or threatening to hire a lawyer. It is in the news, in the papers stating, "must be vaccinated on such date or child will be expelled." This is only half the truth, as they deny to mention, "or sign an exempt form refusing."

Write up your own exempt, be sure to include the Indiana Code #. The last I checked, it was Indiana Code 20-34-3-2. Include the wording of that code if you want. I say this ......

In accordance with (code) Parents names (fill in) certify that the administration of vaccines to my child (name)is contrary to our personal religious beliefs and request that my child be exempt from the vaccine requirements of the Indiana State Statute 9.5.

Signatures, and date.

I list the actual code and wording, and on the bottom put a paragraph in about making truly informed decisions on risks/benefits of childhood disease/vaccines. I include this:

Sources of information to determine if the risks associated with vaccines outweigh any perveived benefits include: vaccine package inserts, the Physicians Desk Reference, the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, public and medical libraries or state and local health agencies.

Vaccination Liberation - www.vaclilb.org 888-249-1421

National Vaccine Inforemation Center - www.nvic.org 800-909-SHOT

As a parent who chooses to not vaccinate, I think it is extremely important to educate yourself on this matter and have a supportive doctor for back up. I also think that a child should be fed the best possible food (not Frosted Flakes, and processed junk) to keep their bodies in top condition. Just my 2 cents!

If you are in NW Indiana, I have local resources so contact me if needed.

Shay

http://MotheringByNatureCenter.comsaynovax.gifnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpggoorganic.jpgwinner.jpg

#20 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 PM

I concur with Shay.  However, I would also request that the school respond, in writing, on letterhead, that they have received the exemption letter.  So really, I send a cover letter with that request and the exemption statement.

I don't waste my time with that Source of Information bit - they really are unlikely to care.  If they are really that curious, I'd rather have them ask and have a discussion.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page