Cleveland mom's talk to me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I could be moving there in the next couple weeks to month or so... how is the employment market? I know homeschool is a bit more rigid than Im used to. I hope I make it in time for the leaves to change color....

Things are in such turmoil where I am I just want out and as much as I hate to go "home", I am willing to do it for 1-2 years to bank some $$ so DS and I can move on again (unless I meet my knight in shining armor)

Its been 11 years since I moved away... I have a banking/business degree and background as well as a subbing cert that I will transfer and I plan on finishing up my teaching cert (one last test) once I get settled. I am fine with using a temp agency until I can sub again or something permanent comes along I just need income.

I miss the metroparks!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
REALLY? NO one???

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Zebra!

Sorry to take a while responding - there's only a handful of Cleveland moms who are active on MDC and none of us seem to frequent the FYT boards. But oh, yes, do come home, because Cleveland is a happenin' place to be right now! Lots of great things going on here.

Our LO is too little to homeschool, but plenty of my friends/neighbors do, and it doesn't seem to me that they have too much trouble with the state in terms of rigid rules, etc. Depending on the age of your LO, there are some great homeschooling groups around town, too. There's a Waldorf homeschool group starting up on the near west side for preschoolers, for example, that a friend of mine has organized.

There's so many great things about living here! The local food scene is great (and growing exponentially -- they've added at least a dozen farmer's markets in town since last summer), the free summer concerts and park programs are phenomenal, there's a bunch of new restaurants opening up, and lots of arts & cultural things in the city. Great stuff. And the festivals! Oh goodness, Cleveland is the place to be, I'm telling you. We love it so much here.

As far as jobs, I think it's about the same everywhere. The job market is tight. White-collar jobs are scarce and people are clinging to them. But there are always some openings. The Cleveland school district teachers' union has made concessions in order to allow more than half of last year's laid-off teachers to come back with a job. So that's good news for folks in the teaching field. There are always charter schools starting up and looking for teachers (and subs, I'd imagine). And if you're willing to temp until you find something permanent, I think you're likely to get lucky.

What neighborhood are you planning to live in? PM me if you want help finding a rental or anything else, we'll get you hooked up!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#4 of 4 Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mama,

HSing is not very rigid here. You do have to file and sign a form saying that you're meeting all the requirements and then meet with a teacher at the end of the year to verify that you are in fact not locking your child in a closet. However you just pick a certified teacher who is open to your kind of hs'ing and go from there.

Jobs are not great but not awful either. The cheapness of a good life here makes up for some of the job issues.

I am not a native but I don't ever plan on leaving! I <3 Cleveland! We're in Cleve Hts. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page