Anyone have uncircumcized boy in Indianapolis? Need pediatrician - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the Indianapolis area and expecting our first child in November. I need to find a pediatrician who is well versed in caring for intact boys. I have read too many horror stories about doctors retracting the foreskin on babies which causes damage.

I spoke with my GP (who I planned to use instead of seeing a pediatrician) and he said he does retract the foreskin during well baby checks. I was glad he was honest with me but I am not comfortable taking our son to our GP because of this.

Anyone have intact sons in Indianapolis area (we live on the north side) that has a ped they love and can recommend? Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM

We use Dr. Park at Westview Medical center. He is lovely! Would never dream of hurting our baby boy Oh, also we have seen Dr. Golnick in Fishers...she is also very intact friendly, as well as bf friendly & ok with whatever you choose w/vax.

Dr.Park is all those things as well, we just like him because he is a family practioner & practices eastern medicine as well
#3 of 13 Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM

There are sites such as www.appointmentcity.com where you can research pediatricians in your area and book an appointment with them right online (anytime). It gives you all of the information you will need to make an educated decision as to which provider you want to go with in your area. Here is a list of pediatricians in Indianapolis!
http://www.appointmentcity.com/find-...ndianapolis-in
#4 of 13 Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

I have posted about my ped (actually a family practice) here before. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the specific issue you are asking about, as I have two girls and haven't ever discussed circ with him. However, for the most part, he seems to fit well with what most folks here look for in a ped.

Vaccines-he doesn't do them in his office at all, hasn't ever asked. Is for them and directs to the county health department when asked about them.
BF-fully endorses it for as long as possible, but doesn't try to give advice about the mechanics of it, recommends speaking to an LC. When dd2 started losing weight, he recommended supplimenting with a bottle of pumped milk, AFTER attempting to nurse, and recommended formula only as a last resort.
Solids-all about waiting until 6 months/developmentally ready, recommended against cereal all together, stating that the BM or formula it was mixed with is more nutritious and has more calories.
General parenting advice-doesn't give it unless asked.

However, he's on the south side, near the St Francis hospital. And, I don't have a clue about his stance on circ, haven't had a need to ask. There are a few things that are negatives though too...he does sometimes seem quick to medicate. I sometimes feel like every time I leave, we have a new script. And, he's the only doc in a busy office-he had an NP also, but she left, so he's trying to juggle her patients and his as the only dr in the office now, which makes for brisk visits sometimes. But if you want to give them a call and see if they are accepting new patients, I can give you their office info.
#5 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 AM

We drove to browsburg to Jason Cooper. He is a general practitioner. Never pushed vaccines on us, has never retracted my son. Is very supportive of extended breastfeeding. Also is accepting of alternative treatments instead of meds. Worth the drive for me.

Mama to & +:::
#6 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM

Does anyone know if Dr. Park accepts Medicaid? I am looking for a non-vax friendly doctor for my kids (we're in Kokomo, they don't really exist here).

~Sandy
mommy to Joey 11, Ian 9, Hayden 7 and Charlie 3

#7 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh thank you for all the recommendations. I feel so much better already!! I could kiss you all!
#8 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Dr. Park is FANTASTIC!!

He was our whole family's doc for years before we moved out of state.

Last I heard he did not accept medicaid, but you can always call and ask.

Years and years ago I was on a parenting forum with Dr. Gwolnick (didn't know she was a doc for a long time) and was really impressed. At that time she was a new mama for the first time and working to come to terms with the differences between what she was taught as a physician and what she was feeling as a new mom.

Maryhippie.gif

#9 of 13 Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 PM

@Rosegin, I am not sure if he accepts medicaid..he is definitely worth the call to find out if he does! I am in kokomo as well---agreed, slim pickings around here. & I have a 22mo Charlie
#10 of 13 Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to post that Dr Golnick is not accepting new patients. I met with a doctor in her practice and he says he does retract at well baby exams so that's not any better than what I've got now. If she is an intact friendly doc, I guess she's not really rubbing off on her colleagues!

#11 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Is Dr Park even taking new patients?  Last time I checked he was not accepting any new family medicine patients.

#12 of 13 Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM

For you kokomo mamas is there anyone that you do recommend in our area. I am due in August and we are also leaving our little guy intact. I am currently going to pregnancy plus in anderson so I am willing to drive to receive good care for our baby. Someone told me that Dianna Andrews in sharpsville is good. Anyone have any info on her?

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#13 of 13 Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM

I know this is an old thread....wondering if anyone is still seeing or has seen Dr. Jason Cooper in Brownsburg.    I was wondering if he is still non vax friendly.    We desperately need a new Doctor.   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page