Any moms around Columbus or Mansfield, OH Areas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 08-28-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm new here. and I am looking for other attachement/natural parenting moms around Columbus or Mansfield areas or in between. I am really into natural parenting and I babywear. I also am interested in just getting some mommy friends with the same values!
crunchymamalove likes this.
#2 of 36 Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Hi! I'm actually about 30 minutes SW of Columbus, but we're in the city a lot. We live on a little farm in the country. My DH works for Ohio State. We're also into the very natural lifestyle and attachment parenting way of life. Welcome to the club!!

Rachel(29)treehugger.gif Crunchy, granola wife of Matthew(30)reading.gif, DD Willow(5yrs)energy.gif, DS Ronan(2yrs) superhero.gif, Ivy Spring 12/29/2009 lost to Hydrops at 20 weeksangel3.gif, 2 other angel.gif and DS Canaan(1yr) kid.gif.  Holy Cow!!! jaw2.gifDue with someone new July 2014!!! joy.gif
#3 of 36 Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Hi there! It's funny...I came to this area because I was gonna post something about how to find some like-minded mommas close to me.
I'm about 45 minutes west of Columbus. I am in Dublin/Columbus area pretty frequently too. I've been having trouble finding parents that are in our immediate area that are into the same things we are. When I go out in the small town closest to us everyone stares when I'm wearing my LO in the carrier. They apparently think I'm weird .
Very nice to meet you!

Girlfriend and Wife to DH, Attached Momma to DD 2/23/08, and to DD 6/9/12
#4 of 36 Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm new to natural parenting I guess you could say. But I've never thought that babywearing looked odd or out of place. I'm pretty open-minded so maybe others just think it's odd. I live on the West part of Columbus, right outside of Hilliard area. That's south of Dublin. We've been in Ohio since Jan of this yr. We're expecting #2 next Jan & have a DS a lil over 2.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#5 of 36 Old 09-04-2010, 05:15 PM

I am in the Bexley area (a few miles east of downtown Columbus)
I would love to meet some more like minded moms in the area. I am part of a few moms groups but i just have nothing in common with anyone. I am "crunchy" but not super crunchy i guess.

My DS is my first baby and is 16 months now.

PS i am out of town (in AK!) until middle of October, but i would love to be kept in the loop!

-L

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#6 of 36 Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM

I'm in Columbus and, if all goes well, will BE a mom come late April! I'm a first timer so still figuring everything out but I was raised in a pretty crunchy atmosphere and plan on doing the same for my kid. I'd love to be kept in the loop as well.

Also, I am looking for any and all tips on birthing in Columbus. Insurance only lets me deliver at OSU (or Marysville, which I've heard good things about and am starting to look into). So I feel pretty stuck.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 36 Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 AM

hello! i'm in wooster, about 25 minutes west of mansfield. i would probably say i lean closer to super crunchy. always looking to meet new mama friends!

Elizabeth~ mama to big A-8, little A- 5, and baby S- born Sept. 2009
#8 of 36 Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 AM

I am in Columbus and due with my first in June 2011. I would say I am crunchy but not SUPER crunchy; I am medically trained (pharmacy) and that colors some of my perspectives, though I'm certainly one of the crunchiest pharmacists/pharmacy students I know! I would love to make some mom/mom-to-be friends in the area... feeling pretty alone, most of my friends (across all ages) don't have kids or their kids are grown.

#9 of 36 Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm in Columbus too. We have LOTS of crunchy Moms here in town.

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#10 of 36 Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 AM

What a timely thread! We are considering a move with DH working in Mansfield. We're trying to figure out where to live if he gets the job.

What is everyone's favorite area on Mansfield or north of Columbus so it wouldn't be an awful commute for him?

(if this is too much of a tangent, I can start a new thread)

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
#11 of 36 Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM

I see that more people have replied to this thread.  Anyone want to meet IRL after the holiday weekend sometime? (maybe someone with a close to 18 month old even??? orngtongue.gif)

-Larissa

#12 of 36 Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm a bit far from north Columbus (I'm just a few minutes east of Columbus) but I did want to say that there are qutie a few groups of like-minded mamas in the area.  If you head to Sprout Soup on High Street, the owner can tell you what groups meet there (there's a babywearing one and a la leche league one that I can remember).  :)

SuperMiller likes this.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#13 of 36 Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Another Columbus mama here.  The babywearing meeting is Dec. 1st (first Wed. of every month) at 10:30 at Sprout Soup on high street in Clintonville.  I'll be there.  There is usually a pretty good turn out, although it may be a little small due to the holidays.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#14 of 36 Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM

I'm crunchy-ish in the Beechwold-Clintonville area. I'm into breastfeeding, intactivism, babywearing (although my 3-month-old is fighting me on it right now!), gentle sleep habits and gentle parenting. I work, but I've been to Sprout Soup a number of times, so I'll have to check into the meetings there.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#15 of 36 Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 PM

There is a new chapter of "Holistic Mom's Network" (www.holisticmoms.org) starting in Mansfield, Feb 1st!

Lots of Crunchy Mamas there!!!

Tricia
Traditional Birth Attendant
Northern Ohio
#16 of 36 Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 AM

My family and I are moving to Mansfield from Tallahassee, Florida this fall.  I have really no idea what to expect, but I'm definitely nervous.  Can I get some advice of areas to live and good schools or ones to avoid?  My kids are 6 and 1 and I'm hoping to try and stay home with them if at all possible which will be a huge change for me.  Any advice at all that people want to share, I'll be happy to take it!

thanks!

#17 of 36 Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM

You may want to check into:

www.columbusapvillage.com

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#18 of 36 Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM

They never approved my request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post

You may want to check into:

www.columbusapvillage.com

#19 of 36 Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

weird....I wonder what that means?!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#20 of 36 Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM

I'm in Marion, an hour-ish north of Columbus...Tricia-I may try make it to a holistic moms meeting :)

kaelynn's mom- I PM'd you....just to see if I might know you, lol

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#21 of 36 Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

haha! I may try to go to a holistic moms meeting too! and yes I know you mamamo hug2.gif

#22 of 36 Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Yeah, Marion!  Well, close.  I am in Ada (most people don't even know that who are FROM Ohio, haha - near Lima) for school, but once DD comes we are moving to Marysville area so DH and I both have a fair commute (he to OSU, me to ONU).  Eventually we want to move to Dublin or Pickerington.  I am into attachment parenting and babywearing concepts, but this is my first child, so haven't tried anything out yet.  I am nervous about having to be at school all the time and away from my baby, but know that I am doing what is best for her in the end.  Just means I have to make quality time count.

#23 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM

amers- I had my first baby in marysville, there was a really great CNM practice, but they have recently closed :( It was still a nice hossy tho, I was 1 of 2 laboring moms that day.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#24 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM

I'm near Columbus also...just 20 minutes North in Lewis Center.  Still trying to find some mamas nearby that don't *gasp* when they find out the youngest has never been vaxed  ;)    I'm an "older mama" now and so much happier with the choices we are making towards a more natural-minded lifestyle.   If any of you get to the Polaris area----would love to meet up!!

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#25 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM

mine either :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzanna View Post

They never approved my request.

#26 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamo View Post

amers- I had my first baby in marysville, there was a really great CNM practice, but they have recently closed :( It was still a nice hossy tho, I was 1 of 2 laboring moms that day.

I had DD there, what a great place! I was the only one laboring that day!

#27 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM

thankfulforfive- who do your kids see for ped, we see Dr Thoma at the Grady Med office building, but if they move to the new hossy on Ohiohealth Dr. IDK if we can make it that far....and I make it to Polaris occasionally, I will PM you.

Columbusmomma- did you see Lisa Smithers? that's who I used, she is wonderful!!

#28 of 36 Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 AM

mammamo---the youngest sees Dr. Carine in Upper Arlington.  Honestly though, she's only been twice.  Last time was for her 2-year check-up.  We didn't do well baby exams in infancy since we skipped vaccines and she's our 5th child .  The older kids see Dr. Jill Porter on Polaris----they just get sport physicals there.

#29 of 36 Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Yes, Lisa! She was awesome!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamo View Post

thankfulforfive- who do your kids see for ped, we see Dr Thoma at the Grady Med office building, but if they move to the new hossy on Ohiohealth Dr. IDK if we can make it that far....and I make it to Polaris occasionally, I will PM you.

Columbusmomma- did you see Lisa Smithers? that's who I used, she is wonderful!!

#30 of 36 Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Looks like there are some like-minded moms near me after all! I'm equidistant from Mansfield and Marion (near Bucyrus), and we visit Columbus every few weeks when the weather is nice. I have yet to find a ped or family doc in this area who is non-vax and intact friendly and is supportive of full term breastfeeding - am I asking too much??? LOL! Guess I need to branch out a little! It's not like we go to the doc often, but it would be nice to have one just to develop rapport in case we actually need to see a doc for something serious. Homebirth moms in the area - midwife recommendations? I was planning to be living in Canton but for now I'm staying in this area, so I was hoping to find a midwife within an hour's drive (I'm due in August).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page