Planning a trip to Brown County Indiana - any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm from Arizona and my kids have never really gotten to see Fall leaves. We were trying to plan a small trip to somewhere with great Fall leaves during their fall break (Oct 4-18) and someone recommended Brown County, Indiana.

They get two weeks off so we'll probably do either Tues/Wed/Thurs of the first week or second week - not sure yet.

My husband works for the airlines so we fly standby which makes it difficult for us to make concrete plans so, we don't want to do anything where we'd have to buy advanced tickets or anything like that.

We'll fly into Indianapolis and will rent a car. From there, I'm sort of lost and am wondering if anyone has any advice for traveling around this area?

I called the visitor's bureau and they've run out of visitor's guides. They recommend the website which I looked at but, I'm really hoping to get ideas from people who have been to the area.

I'd love to be able to take the kids on some driving tours through the Fall leaves. We don't need attractions - no theme parks etc.... hiking would be good, just nature type stuff, things that are local to the area like festivals or some such would be so wonderful.

Any ideas or suggestions would be so very appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brown County is beautiful! We go see the foliage whenever we can...even though we've always lived in places with '4 seasons.'

Nashville, IN is a nice little town to visit, even though it is becoming too tourist-y for my tastes. And we adore Bloomington, IN.

Most of southern IN is hilly and rural and beautiful in the Fall.

Sorry, I'm not much concrete help, just encouraging.

Indy is a wonderful place for a family vacation too.

Maryhippie.gif

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Brown County State Park is nice, and right near Nashville. Be aware that many shops in Nashville don't allow strollers inside so babywearing helps a lot.

There are actually several state parks around Brown County also- McCormick's Creek near Ellettsville/Spencer, Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell (nice pioneer village with events on many weekends) and more. Visit in.gov/dnr for more info.

Lake Monroe is a reservoir just south of Bloomington.

Connor Prairie (east of Indianapolis) is a great place to visit also.

If you fly into Louisville, you would be able to visit places like Falls of the Ohio or Clifty Falls (near Madison, IN) in addition to Brown Co.

have fun!

ETA: I forgot to link you to the Indiana festival guide: http://www.indianafestivals.org/inde...ate=2010-10-06
Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 AM

We live very close to Brown County and love it. But in the time that your coming there is a huge and I mean huge festival going on in PArke county Indiana. It is home to the most covered bridges,like 12 or 15. It is beautiful. The leaves are breath taking. It is busy at this time but well worth it. There are plenty of parks and stuff like horse back riding and hiking. And you have Turkey Run state park which is cool to. Either place would be very pretty. Brown county you can see in a day or two, this place 4-5.

Wife to a wonderful man,cd.gif ,lactivist.gif,femalesling.GIF,familybed2.gif,hbac.gif,belly.gif, planning a uc.jpg in November!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 AM

I think everyone has told you about the area, but I'd caution you to wear layers - the weather is up and down quite a bit in October. It may be warm (80's), or it may be quite cool (upper 50's) so keep an eye on the weather forecasts, and wear layers that can be removed, especially if you plan to be out all day.

If you're looking for beautiful fall color, you can't get better than southern Indiana!

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 AM

I live in Brown County and LOVE it! You should check out Yellowwood State Forest...lots of nice hiking trails and it's a beautiful to drive around and explore. The State Park is nice but can be very busy during the fall. Hope you have a nice trip!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

There is also Turkey Run State Park. They have really amazing hiking (Brown County state park has great hiking too). I don't know how far from Brown County that is but it's about 45 minutes out of Indy. If you just spend time in Brown County and go to the state park you won't be disapointed! It's so beautiful this time of year!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM

There is one thing that nobody mentioned...during the fall color period, its almost impossible to find a camp site unless you reserve one way in advance! There are lots of nice cabin rentals in the area, though. We rented one through this place once
http://www.browncountylogcabins.com/

Anyway,you've gotten good advice. Bloomington is AMAZING. Total crunch fest! There are great places to eat, the Indiana University campus is awesome. If you get a chance, tour the IU Greenhouse. Its really cool and open to the public.
http://www.bio.indiana.edu/faculty/r...eenhouse.shtml

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM

I own a home in Brown county. It's for sale if anyone is interested. Ha! Ha!

Seriously do check out the Brown County State park. It is truly lovely. Yellowwood state park is lovely as well.

have fun and tell Brown County that I love her and miss her!

Jo

User Tag List