SE-MI BCBS Insurance - help with insurance/picking insurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-25-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, right now, we have no insurance. DS is on medicaid. I had medicaid for pregnancy, and ds was born in a hospital(HFWB). Anyways, DH works for the same boss, but got a better position and is now officially owner of a small company(although his boss controls it) So now(in a couple weeks) DH is making a little bit too much for DS to qualify for medicaid. This is sorta ok, because he convinced his boss to pay for his insurance if DH finds a plan(company is only about 10 people, so he is not required by law to get his employees insurance). So, we are looking for an individual plan. I think. And I think it has to be BCBS as well.

I can't find the info on their website, and i'm really just looking for guidance on how to FIND OUT the info i'm looking for. I want to know exactly what the plan does and does not cover, and I want to know what my other options are too.

I want a plan that will cover a chiro or naturopath or homeopath, or a FP or at least a ped who will accept my no-vax DC.

I want a plan that will cover me if something crazy happens during (future) pregnancy and I end up in a hospital.

I want a plan that will cover all or a majority of local HB MWs, and Birth centers.

I hope that if I get pregnant now, the birth will be covered one way or another, even if that means seeing an OB. (Wow. I didn't think of that, thats is a potential very very scary situation.)

I only anticipate using the insurance for births, urgencies, and emergencies. We only take DS to the doctor if we suspect a test is needed(like when he had food poisoning), and we only go(if we had insurance) if something really needs to be checked out.

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#2 of 2 Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a midwife down by the Ohio border, Linda Johnson, who has had some luck billing BCBS of Michigan. The rest of us homebirth midwives have not. It is not entirely clear if they will allow the CNM who works in my practice to become a provider. They absolutely refuse to work with non-nurse midwives in the home setting.

The insurance companies that I have had the best luck with are United, Aetna, and Cofinity. Priority Health has paid me, but very small amounts. Other small plans seem to pay well too.

When I was getting insurance with my oldest son, I chose a cheaper plan that fit most of our basic needs (we do not use a lot of traditional health care) and chose to pay cash for my homebirth and for seeing the chiro. It made more financial sense for me personally. You have to look at the difference between the different plans' prices and see if, over time, paying cash for some things and having a cheaper plan makes more sense.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page