Looking for a preceptor to begin the journey-MI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had been going back and forth in my mind about going the CNM or CPM route, and through A LOT of personal prayer time, soul searching, and making lists of the pros/cons of both, and numerous discussions with dh, I feel very confident in my decision to go forward and pursue the CPM.

I am feeling out the area to see if anyone close by (I know there will be A LOT of driving, because Flint doesn't have anyone centrally located) is looking for an apprentice. If anyone knows a good place to start, I would be much obliged for any information you can pass along!

Thanks in advance!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#2 of 8 Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 PM

I suggest checking out the Midwifery Today conference in Eugene this coming spring. Lots of great information, classes and you'll meet awesome people. Beginning Midwifery is a good (all day) class to start with. I think they even have a class on how to find a preceptor and how to be a good apprentice. Good luck!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#3 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM

I got connected with my preceptor by going to our state midwifery associations conference. I looked at the michigan midwives association website just now and saw that they are having their annual conference at the end of the month in lansing. You should look up their website and try to connect with some of them!

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariew View Post
I got connected with my preceptor by going to our state midwifery associations conference. I looked at the michigan midwives association website just now and saw that they are having their annual conference at the end of the month in lansing. You should look up their website and try to connect with some of them!
Good Idea! I just looked at their site, and I think I've already found a sitter for the times dh is working. Just have to get the okay from the sitter and I'm going to register. Excited to be hopefully going...Thanks a ton!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
I suggest checking out the Midwifery Today conference in Eugene this coming spring. Lots of great information, classes and you'll meet awesome people. Beginning Midwifery is a good (all day) class to start with. I think they even have a class on how to find a preceptor and how to be a good apprentice. Good luck!
I'll have to check into that come spring, but it would all depend on how the finances are at that point. We can make it while I'm apprenticing on just dh's income, but at the same time I can't put too many additional strains on the budget too

#6 of 8 Old 10-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Definitely come to the MMA conference in the fall. Once the midwives in the community meet you face to face, they'll often mention you when they see that their friends are looking for apprenticeships.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#7 of 8 Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Definitely come to the MMA conference in the fall. Once the midwives in the community meet you face to face, they'll often mention you when they see that their friends are looking for apprenticeships.
I plan on going! I just rec'd word from my mother that she will watch the kids while dh is working. Maybe you can help me with a few questions... Do I need to pre-register? I plan obtaining a membership, so would I only pay the one day fee? (can I even start the membership the same time as registering for the conference?)

Hoping to meet lots of people there, I can't wait!

#8 of 8 Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM

You don't need to pre-register -- in fact I don't think there is even a mechanism for you to do that. You just pay when you get there. You can get a membership at the same time. I'm pretty sure I'll be there, at least for Saturday. If you find me at lunch, I'll make sure to introduce you to other midwives who live around you.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page