Stoneridge OB/GYN in Columbus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend knows I've been doing a lot of research into midwives/doula/homebirth/etc around Columbus. She's not pregnant right not, but would like to find somewhere to start going for her regular gyno care that would also be somewhere she'd be comfortable getting OB care someday. I mentioned Women's Contemporary Health.
She also asked specifically if I'd heard anything about Stoneridge and/or Dr. Katherine Strafford there.
I haven't, but have any of you ladies?? And looks like they deliver at OSU (any thoughts about that)??

Thanks!!

Girlfriend and Wife to DH, Attached Momma to DD 2/23/08, and to DD 6/9/12
#2 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
HRJ

Where does this dr deliver? I think a lot of it has to do w/ the hospital you deliver @ and the practices there b/c ultimately, the dr shows up in time to catch the baby. This is what my OBs office told me. And from what I have read here on the forum, it is easier to have a natural birth at St Ann's and Grant.

Also, my acupuncturist told me that a TON of OB offices in Columbus are refusing to let women birth w/ doulas. A ton. There's an office taht someone mentioned on here that has 3-4 midwives @ it. When I called, they make you do TWO mandatory ultrasounds (the one at 12 weeks is insane to me) and no doulas are allowed.
#3 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM
HRJ

I don't know much about OSU but from what I have heard, St Anns and Grant are the two hospitals that have labor tubs.
#4 of 8 Old 11-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Don't know about Stoneridge but I am currently seeing Dr. Kathryn Pool at Drs. Artman, Turner, and Pool in Hilliard. They deliver at OSU and allow doulas. Dr. Pool also told me I can basically labor however I want, but requires and IV, which I'm not wild about. I also talked in person to someone who had a natural birth at OSU and she said it was just fine--peaceful, didn't have interventions pushed on her, good experience. The hospital has a high C-section rate (30%) but it's not clear to me how much of this is because it is the regional high-risk center. Dr. Pool's rate is 10%.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 8 Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM

It's not Stoneridge, but I had a great birthing experience with Dr. Alan Murnane at Westar OB/Gyn. He was more "midwifey" than the midwives I used to see at Professionals for Womens Health! Anyway, he's very pro-vaginal birth and says he believes in a hands-off approach unless something actually happens in labor that causes him to truly need to intervene. I believe his cesarean rate is in the single digits. He was great for my VBAC, no scare tactics, no due date pressure, lots of encouragement, etc. He also took a lot of time to talk to me at my appointments and was evidence-based (could talk about recent papers that had to do with VBACs and such). He only delivers at St. Ann's. I did have a doula and went unmedicated.

As for OSU, I had my first son there, and it wasn't bad. I did end up getting an epidural there after maybe 15 hours of labor, but no one bugged me or offered me drugs. It was just me freaking out as a FTM. They had showers and birthing balls. They used to have telemetry units for fetal monitoring, but I've heard that's no longer the case.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#6 of 8 Old 11-30-2010, 08:33 AM

I don't know if it's just my doctor or hospital wide, but my doctor did tell me that intermittent fetal monitoring was fine at OSU, except when actually pushing.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 8 Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I second Women's Contemporary health care.  They are awesome!  Really the only reason I check the tribe boards is to see if I can recommend them to anyone.  I see Becky Wagner.  Check out their website (they actually have a link to mothering) or do a meet and greet. 

#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page