Michigan Breastfeeding Bill (HB 5515) Needs Your Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HB 5155 would give breastfeeding mothers and babies protection under the Civil Rights Act. The bill was voted out of committee in November 2009. It has not yet been brought up for a vote.

If the bill is not acted upon before years end, it dies and would then need to be reintroduced next year with an entirely new set of legislators.

We've just started a Facebook page - Pass Michigan House Bill 5155. Please fan us and then join in contacting your legislators and the House Leadership letting them know that we want breastfeeding mothers and babies to be protected.

Over the next several days, we will add sample letters that people can use to write and/or email their reps. I have already listed the members of the House Leadership along with their emails and phone numbers.

On Monday, October 25th, Speaker Dillon has a coffee hour in Livonia at 11:30am. He sends a representative, but it might be good to get a group of moms (nursing or not) to go over and meet with them. If you're interested in joining me, send me a pm. Tomorrow, a friend and I are going to put together a packet of information on breastfeeding (as a file) that you could take with you if you'd like to attend your rep's coffee hour.

If you're interested in helping in some other way, let me know! It's getting kind of cold, but a nurse-in showing support for moms and babies might be necessary!

Thanks for your interest!
Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 AM

I cant find that facebook page - could you ost a link - I've got some great legislature letter writers!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here it is!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Hey Monica. I friended the page and posted it on birthnetwork's wall too.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jen! Right now, we're just trying to formulate a strategy to get this bill up for a vote

If anyone is near a phone - give Speaker Andy Dillon a call - 888-737-3455 - and leave him a message. Doesn't have to be elaborate - "I encourage him to bring House Bill 5515 up for a vote. Breastfeeding mothers and babies need the protection this bill would offer."

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM

We started a blog to help keep people informed about our efforts to pass HB 5515.

Check it out at http://ErinEagen.com

User Tag List