The UP- Marquette, MI - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just moved to Marquette, MI about a month ago. I have a 5 month old baby girl. I am wondering if there are any babywearing or natural parenting groups up here in my area? I am also looking for some type of mommy & me yoga or exercise classes in the area.

Mama to Storystillheart.gif Born 5.8.2010
knit.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifbf.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gifcd.gif
#2 of 8 Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 PM

Welcome! I just moved to Negaunee a few months ago, and am slowly learning my way around here too! I haven't heard of a babywearers group, but there is the yooper nursers. Its a breastfeeding group that meets occasionally.

My children are 10, 8, and 4. I'd be happy to meet you sometime if you'd like : )
There's also a thread on this forum for UP mamas, although its not very active. Can't remember the exact title of the thread, but if you do a search with UP in the title, you should be able to bring it up.

Christa
#3 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you Christa! I was just in Negaunee a few weeks ago antique shopping...thats a cute town. I will check out the yooper nursers, someone also told me about a natural baby store here, I might check with them to see if they know of anything. maybe Ill send ya a message next time I plan on going to Negaunee. We love all those antique shops there!

knit.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifbf.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gifcd.gif
#4 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Hi there and welcome!
I haven't been on MDC much, so sorry I didn't see this sooner!
I also live in Negaunee, and have a 21 month old son. We moved back here in March- I grew up in Neguanee and Marquette, but have lived downstate for a long time. Christa and I are friends and live near one another!

Here's the link to the Yooper Mamas thread...not active right now, but you never know!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=yooper
I don't know anything about a natural baby store...hm.

I've been to a couple of Yooper Nursers meetings...are you on FB? If you want to, I can friend you and send you the FB page for the group. Sally is the leader, and she posts on the Yooper Mamas forum as bonnenuit. As far as I know, there's no organized natural parenting group, nor babywearing group. I've met some babywearing mamas through thebabywearer.com and met up with one in person.
There's a nice storytime for kids under 2 at the Marquette library. "Book Babies" once a month...this month it's Thursday Nov 11 at 10am. We go, it's fun!
I don't know about any mama/baby exercise classes, but there are some good offerings for adults around through the Marquette Arts and Cultural Center, and the NICE community schools enrichment program (cheap!).
There are some playgroups in Marquette that we've not attended...but I think they meet at the Children's Museum? The food co-op bulletin area is also a good source of info.

Hope you're getting settled in...and if you want to meet up sometime, I'm pretty flexible!

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#5 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry! I havent been on in a while... I checked out that thread you posted, thank you. I have not found the natural baby store yet :) I work at home, but I work from 10:30 am - 4:30 pm so its right in the middle of my day & by the time I get off , its getting dark and cold and not very fun to go out in LOL. Plus I still dont really know my way around too much. Yes I am on FB, Ill message you. I am on the babywearer.com but have not been on lately. I would love to go to the Book Babies at the library, I need to just work it in my schedule. Although I work at home, my working hours are not very flexible. Ill take a look at the library calendar. I have shopped at the Co-op a few times and looked at their board the last time I was in there. They do have a ton of info! I would like to meet up with you & or you and Christa! Maybe after the Holidays sometime.smile.gif

#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Welcome to Marquette, storysmama!  I also live "in the city" and wish I could tell you that there were any attachment parenting groups to speak of!  As far as the yooper nurses, they have let Marquette General Hospital(women's and children's center) take it, as they can more affectively advertise to new mamas.  The first meeting is Monday, January 17th at 1pm in the Family Birthing Center.  You said you have a pretty tight schedule, so perhaps this month might not work out, but they will be offering the support group every 3rd monday of each month, at 1pm.  :)

If you(or anyone that reads this for that matter!) can come, I'd love to meet you! 

Mothering was key in me finding like-minded mama friends in the area, maybe we should have a library meet up soon for any new ladies among us?

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Have you found any groups?  My husband and I are looking to move to MQT.  We have a 7 month old.  I'd like to know if there are other babywearing/nursing moms out there!

#8 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

There are definitely babywearing and nursing moms here, and there's a Marquette natural parenting facebook page where people arrange get togethers, share info, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYooper View Post

Have you found any groups?  My husband and I are looking to move to MQT.  We have a 7 month old.  I'd like to know if there are other babywearing/nursing moms out there!

Christa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page