petoskey area homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Petoskey, MI. We're not yet finished growing our family, though, and one important thing I need to know is if there are homebirth midwives in the area. Has anyone on here had (or heard of someone having) a midwife assisted birth in the area? I'm excited to see what our future options may be.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

#2 of 15 Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM

There are midwives in the Traverse City area that do homebirths all the way up to Mackinaw. I think that would be your best bet. The lack of midwives and doulas is pretty sad. But do check out TC, I have heard great things about the midwives there.... 

partners.gif married to DH, momma to DD1flower.gif2/23/10, DD2 flowersforyou.gif5/26/11

#3 of 15 Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andee View Post

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Petoskey, MI. We're not yet finished growing our family, though, and one important thing I need to know is if there are homebirth midwives in the area. Has anyone on here had (or heard of someone having) a midwife assisted birth in the area? I'm excited to see what our future options may be.

Sending you a PM :)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Are there midwives or doulas available in the Petoskey area???

partners.gif married to DH, momma to DD1flower.gif2/23/10, DD2 flowersforyou.gif5/26/11

#5 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post

Are there midwives or doulas available in the Petoskey area???

Sending you a PM

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#6 of 15 Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM

There are a few midwives in the Eastern UP, where I live. They are fantastic. One in particular Ide be willing to bet that travels to the LP because she goes all the way to Marquette, 3 hours from here, when needed. If you would like her contact info, PM me.

#7 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM

I lived in Petoskey for nine years, and a had a homebirth attended by a midwife from Traverse City. She is great! 

#8 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 PM

I have a wonderful midwife friend who lives just north of Mackinac, and often goes to Petoskey.

Her name is Tiffany Appell, just PM me if you want her contact info.

Great young mom, full of energy and wisdom!!

Warmly, Tricia

Tricia
Traditional Birth Attendant
Northern Ohio
#9 of 15 Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM

As my user name says, I'm the husband, but I would covet the contact information referred to. I will PM some people specifically. I am curious as to why such valuable information would not be posted freely for all to enjoy without bothering you.

#10 of 15 Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Hi, I live in Boyne City, and am having a homebirth with a midwife who lives in Rapid City. Her name is Robin Lavis, her business name is Blessings of the Womb, & her office # is 231-264-9144. The midwife in Traverse City is Kathi Mulder, and I don't have her contact info on hand, but she does service Boyne City, & I imagine Petoskey, although when I met with her she said she was hoping to limit her travel distance soon. She is much busier than Robin Lavis, but they have both been practicing since the early 90's. I met with both of them, and liked them immensely. Robin is a self-described Christian midwife, which makes it odd for me that we chose her (not that I have anything against Christians at all, just have a much wider spiritual philosophy that sometimes conflicts with dogmatic Christianity). She is a little older, more into herbs during pregnancy & birth, & has her business out of a little cottage on her property. Kathi has recently moved to an office space in Traverse City. I highly recommend meeting with both of them - they do free consultations. I'm not familiar with the midwives in the U.P. Good luck!

#11 of 15 Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM

I did see Robin's information, and since you recommend her, I will definitely encourage my wife to call her. We are Christians, and my wife would probably feel comfortable with her as a result. One of my previous children by a previous wife was delivered by Kathy Mulder, and I can confirm that she is excellent, both on a personal and professional level. However, she is a long way away. Thanks for the information.

#12 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 PM

Does anyone have either Robin or Kathi's email addresses? I am trying to find information on renting a birthing tub....

#13 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post

Does anyone have either Robin or Kathi's email addresses? I am trying to find information on renting a birthing tub....

Robin :blessingsofthewomb at charter.net

Kathi: kathi at tcmidwife.com

Hope this helps!

yosemiteroses likes this.

#14 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if there are any birth centers in the Traverse City area?  We wanted a homebirth, but our insurance only covers CNMs so I thought a birth center would be a nice option.  

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#15 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if there are any birth centers in the Traverse City area?  We wanted a homebirth, but our insurance only covers CNMs so I thought a birth center would be a nice option.  

There are not any birth centers up here, Munson (the Traverse City hospital) does have CNMs though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page