OBs/midwives accepting later transfers near Detroit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A friend of mine just moved and her plans for having her baby with her regular OB just fell through (she can't handle the long drive for weekly appointments) - she's at 20 weeks and is now looking for a new care provider.  She's in Rockwood, MI.

Any suggestions for her?  This is a huge source of stress for her so I figured MDC might be a great starting point in her search!

Thanks!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#2 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm sorry but I don't know of any suggestions for you or your friend! I did a late transfer at 32 weeks but it was closer to Flint, so I am afraid that won't work. Good luck to you!!!!!

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#3 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps your person might know someone though?  At this point I think she'll run down any potential lead!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#4 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am going to post a link to her contact information:

http://www.mclarenregional.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=32&action=detail&ref=1682

Good luck!

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#5 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Not sure how long of a drive is too long, but there are birth centers and midwives in the Ann Arbor and Detroit metro area, plus the Ann Arbor hospitals (St Joes, U-M which also has CNMs practicing there). I don't know much of anything about the hospitals because I had a homebirth but I think they are supposed to be decent. I can personally recommend New Moon Midwifery although there are some midwives closer to the Detroit area. Here's a directory http://michiganmidwives.org/directory/

raising my two sunshine children.

#6 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 01:13 PM

There's a CNM run free standing birth center about a half hour from Rockford called Mothers Own Birth Center.  It's a lovely place.

If your friend wants a hospital birth, Providence Hospital in Southfield is a little farther away but has an Alternative Birth Center that's pretty fantastic. She can check out the CNMs at Metro Partners in Womens Health. They have an OB group that works with them too.  I especially like Dr. Marback and Dr. Hakim.

HTH.

Christa
#7 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 AM

I transferred at 32 weeks to the midwives at Metro Partners in Women's Health.  they were great! 

#8 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM

I don't know how near/far it is, but I transferred to the MWs at Henry Ford West Bloomfield at 30 weeks. I would recommend the local home birth and birth center midwives though! We've got a ton of them around here!

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#9 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM

i transferred around 20 weeks from an OB to New Moon Midwifery. They delivered my baby here in my home. I was very pleased and would highly recommend.

www.newmoonmidwifery.com

#10 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM

20 weeks is not a late transfer at all.  She's probably only had about 3 prenatals.  I find that most doctors and midwives are totally ok with women switching into the beginning of their third trimester at least.  About 40% of the women who hire me do so after 20 weeks.

Mother's Own Birth Center would be a close choice.  If she wants a hospital birth, she might have to travel for a bit to get a good choice.  There are actually some very good hospital-based midwives in Toledo.  I've had several women come into my practice after having first babies with them, saying they would never switch except that the midwives couldn't help them at home and that was what they wanted.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#11 of 12 Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 PM

He's a not a Midwife he's an OB but I can't say enough good things about our OB; Dr. Jonathan Cayle. He delivered both our little ones and was supportive, knowledgeable and really open to working with us to provide a safe, healthy and empowering birth. I'm not sure how far he would be but we found him on recommendation from a friend when we went looking for a new doctor LATE in the process. I didn't even mind the hour drive there and the hour back for my full second pregnancy. I can not say enough about how highly we thought of him.

http://www.cayleclinic.com/about.htm

#12 of 12 Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Another vote for Metro Partners in Women's Health.  All of the midwives but Mary Gadbaw-Davis are different from when I delivered, but Mary delivered me and she is still there and I can't say enough good things about her.  Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page