Doctor Recommendations in Michigan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving to Michigan (somewhere near Madison Heights/Royal Oak areas) and I am looking for a pediatrician for my 6 month old, or a resource for finding a doc, aligned with my choices. Specifically, I have my son on an alternative vaccination schedule and I would like a doc supportive of that choice. I'm not sure where to begin looking. Thanks for your time and any thoughts you might have. Yours in natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapers, and uncircumcised little boys:) StacieLynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Lax is in Clawson, just a few minutes from Madison Heights and Royal Oak. Schindler is in Novi, maybe half an hour away. They're the two peds/fp docs that have a reputation for being vax friendly in the area. The nurses and midwives who work the ABC (if you're not a homebirther, look it up, it's wonderful!) seem to like both of them. There's been plenty of discussion of both on MDC.

I use Dr. Robert Bloom at Southfield Pediatrics. I find him to be very reasonable and willing to have thoughtful discussion. He recommends following the CDC schedule for vax but was supportive of an alternative schedule I proposed. I like their office hours, availability and locations and several other physicians there, specifically Dr. Kapan and the other Dr. Bloom. I've learned not to schedule appts outside of that group. I would only recommend them to you if you're a middle of the road mama.

Welcome to the D!! Are you totally new here, or are you coming back home?
#3 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much for your recommendations-it's very helpful!  I was trying to come back home, which is in the Toledo area, but a job brought us to Royal Oak.  So, we're closer to home but totally new to the area.  I'm also so happy to hear about the midwives you mentioned.  My first birth was at an ABC in Chicago, and I really would like a home birth next time.  I'm so glad to know there are great midwives in the area!  I'm feeling good about the area already:)

I'll start looking into our insurance for the docs you mentioned. Do you happen to know anything about the peds at Watch Me Grow Pediatrics in West Bloomfield?  I saw their practice mentioned on another website and when I called to inquire they said they work with alternative vaccination schedules.  Their docs are Dr. Mary Sue Sylwestrzak and Dr. Robert Roman.

Thanks again for everything!

Stacie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page