Looking for childcare/nanny near South Bend, IN - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I currently work opposite shifts and have only needed childcare for a few hours a day.  My best friend's parents have helped us out a few days per week, and my mom and ILs have taken care of the rest.  I am looking at a change to day shift at work, which leaves us needing childcare from about 9 am til 4 pm, 2-3 rotating days per week.  DH works 4 on, 2 off, so his days off change weekly.  I will have weekends and holidays off.

I'm looking for someone who is AP-friendly (of course!), TV-free, and willing to work with our somewhat strange schedule.  I'm willing to take my son to someone's home.

I don't even know where to start looking.  I've spoken with my doula, and she is making inquiries on my behalf.  I'm not sure if I'm looking for suggestions or soliciting offers, but anything will help!

Thanks!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Maybe check with the Holistic Moms group in town? I'm in South Bend as well, and actually do babysit in my home, but we watch TV so that probably wouldn't be a good fit :) Also, have you thought about checking with the colleges in town to see if they have lists of students looking for nanny/babysitting employment? Our best sitter is a student at Saint Mary's.

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply  :)

How do I contact the Holistic Moms group?  I've been on 2nd shift since before DS was born, so I've never been able to attend any meetings or get-togethers geared towards AP moms. 

I didn't think of checking with the colleges.  I'll get on that as well.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

You can read more about the South Bend chapter on their website - http://home.homewebs.com/hmnsbendin/

They're also on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Holistic-Moms-Network-South-Bend-IN/189696494712 and there's a post saying that they've got a playdate planned for tomorrow (2/2)

Wednesday morning playgroup
10am-12pm February 2--South Bend Chocolate Café play area

Hope this helps! :)

#5 of 7 Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM

we found our nanny using care.com. We are in LaPorte, but there are lots of people on there that are great! The colleges is a good idea, too!

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
#6 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'm amazed at how many people from South Bend are on Care.com.  I expected to find just a few listings, not 13 pages!

nkintzel likes this.

#7 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Yeah, we were happy to find so many people around us. We found a really great nanny and it helped to have care.com do the background checking and all of that good stuff for us.

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page