In hospital MidWife in Lansing, MI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to find information about midwives that will work at hospitals in Lansing, MI. I'm 5 weeks with baby #2 and desperately want to avoid repeating my first pregnancy (breech, c-section). My primary care doctor keeps canceling appointments and I don't know who to ask.  The few calls I have made say they don't have mid-wives. Any suggestions?? Hubby is against a birthing center because I was high risk last time :-(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM

I used to live in Michigan, and there is a place called the Greenhouse Birthing Center in Lansing.  We actually toured there, and my DH was also skeptical.  My preg. was not high-risk, however.  They are located very close to local hospital in case of need for transfer.  Would your DH consider even having a tour there?  Perhaps that would ease his mind.  Is there a local ICAN chapter you could go to for advice and guidence?  I've been to two meetings in Texas, and they seem like a knowledgable group of women.

#3 of 7 Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Moving to Finding Your Tribe... I hope one of the "local" moms will know the perfect place (or care provider).  Good luck and happy birthing!  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 7 Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alillemor View Post

I'm trying to find information about midwives that will work at hospitals in Lansing, MI. I'm 5 weeks with baby #2 and desperately want to avoid repeating my first pregnancy (breech, c-section). My primary care doctor keeps canceling appointments and I don't know who to ask.  The few calls I have made say they don't have mid-wives. Any suggestions?? Hubby is against a birthing center because I was high risk last time :-(

There currently is only one midwife in a lansing hospital.  She is through Ingham Regional Medical center and is practicing at Meridian WOmen's Health in Okemos. 

That said I seen the doctors at Lansing OBGYN specifically the boys in the practice (Dr. Shoenmaker and Dr. Barton) who were amazing while pregnant with my twins.   They were very much hands off and really talked with me to come up with a plan that worked for what I wanted.  (I wanted a homebirth but had a history of preterm labor and was pregnant with twins).  Dr. Shoenmaker was my biggest cheerleader for my homebirth, and was fantastic.  He agreed to back us up in the even of a transfer as well as come in on a day he wasn't on call so we could get a natural birth of twins.   Oh and there wasn't ever any pressure to induce or to do anything, I did agree to extra monitoring because it was twins and my history but that was my own decision.  

Mama to a zoo!
#5 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

We toured GH and loved it, now we just have to wrangle with insurance to get it covered and hope for a healthy pregnancy and baby!  Thanks!

#6 of 7 Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 PM

I had my second daughter at the GHBC and LOVED it! The midwives there are fantastic and I felt very confident with them. My insurance even ended up covering about 2/3 of the cost which was a huge plus!

#7 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Hi, I used the one midwife mentioned above. Her name is Sameerah Shariff and she delivers at Ingham Regional instead of Sparrow. Ingham is a lot smaller than Sparrow and we (DH and I) were pretty much left to our own devices during labor which was what we wanted. The nurses were great and none of them even pressured us into anything. However, I found the midwife to be very medical orientated and I ended up with a lot more interventions than I wanted. In her defense, she is also working within a medical system so there isn't much wiggle room when it comes to things like inducing at 42 weeks and IV for Strep B. I hope you can use Greenhouse-I really really really wanted to go through them but because I was on medicaid and we are flat broke, we just couldn't swing it for this birth. I have never heard anything negative about Greenhouse. Have you gone to their "community" page? http://gbcvillage.ning.com/  There is a section where women talk about how to get insurance to cover it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page