VBAC in Metro Detroit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with my second child and planning for a VBAC.  I am not interested in a home birth, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to set myself up to be successful.

It seems as though none of the alternative birth centers will do a VBAC and several nurse midwifes that I have called don't do them either.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Fay

If you have your VBAC in a hospital (as I did), you will be pushed to stick to hospital "rules" for VBAC...IV, fetal monitoring, etc.  You can still have an unmedicated, vaginal birth, but it is difficult under hospital rules -- you'll have to practice your NO firmly ahead of time.  Get yourself a doula who knows your wishes and start practicing birth hypnosis.  Also get in touch with ICAN: http://www.icanofannarbormi.org/

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 10:30 AM

There is only the one alternative birth center in the Detroit area. However, I know that Greenhouse in Okemos (Lansing area) and Mother's Own in Temperance (Toledo area) both do VBACs

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#4 of 5 Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Mama, check out Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital. The midwives there do vbacs, but have some different rules than a lot of the other hospitals around. They do not require continuous fetal monitoring (barring other complications) and have a midwife with you for the duration of your birth.

Best wishes for your vbac! 

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 01:03 PM

I just had a successful vbac and attribute much of the success to an awesome OB. He was always encouraging and confident. He is pro-vbac and epidural-free birth (but he's okay with an epi if you want it--? He's just aware that births usually go better without one).

The doc is in Ann Arbor- Dr Phil Fleming. His practice is called Caritas-- he delivers at St Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor.

I think the phone is 734.712.1990....off the top of my head...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page