Natural Birth in Flint, MI? Midwives or OB/Gyn recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I'm six weeks pregnant with my first baby and also new to the Flint, Michigan area. We're planning on taking Bradley classes and are very interested in a natural birth, possibly a home birth.

Does anyone have recommendations for midwives in the area and/or OB/GYNs who are open to natural birthing? I'm wanting to set up my first appointment and feel completely at a loss as to who to make it with!

Thanks!

#2 of 22 Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

I'm going to Women's OB in Saginaw (about 30 minutes North) because I want a natural birth (but in a hospital) with midwives (the practice has two midwives, Kelley & Mary Jo). Everything I want I'll be able to get, and many of the things are things that the practice already does (tubs/showers for birth, no meds, walking, birthing in choice position, birthing balls/squatting etc). Part of the reason that my midwives work at the Women's OB is because of the natural practices vs other hospitals in the area (including Hurley & Genesis in Flint). I also really like the OB's in the practice (except for one...) They are all really supportive of having a natural birth with no interventions. I can "go" as long as I want with my pregnancy (past 42 weeks if I want). I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and I've had no interventions, but lots of questions (from them to me, and vice versa).  I've heard a lot of good things from others wanting & getting natural births from this practice.  Even the birthing class was pretty interesting (although I disagreed with some of it).

http://www.womensob.com/midwifery/

#3 of 22 Old 02-18-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information! I'd definitely be willing to travel for an environment like that!

Can you tell me how your insurance handles the midwives? My insurance covers CNMs as long as they're working with an OB/Gyn. Have you had any trouble getting your insurance to cover the costs of seeing a CNM?

Also, do they have you see all the doctors and both midwives so that you're comfortable with everyone when you give birth?

Thanks again!

#4 of 22 Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, scratch that last question. I just called and made an appointment and it looks like insurance won't be an issue. :)

Instead, could you let me know what your experience has been with seeing the midwives in addition to the doctors? Do you feel like you're getting enough time with them? I know you said the doctors are open to natural birthing, too, but do you ever feel like you're not getting enough time with the midwives? Do you see a significant difference between the midwives and the doctors?

Thanks!

#5 of 22 Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekahegrace View Post

Actually, scratch that last question. I just called and made an appointment and it looks like insurance won't be an issue. :)

Instead, could you let me know what your experience has been with seeing the midwives in addition to the doctors? Do you feel like you're getting enough time with them? I know you said the doctors are open to natural birthing, too, but do you ever feel like you're not getting enough time with the midwives? Do you see a significant difference between the midwives and the doctors?

Thanks!

I see mainly the midwives (you can request to see either midwives, OB's or no choice, and I prefer to see the midwives).  I have met all of the Dr's (they prefer that you meet them all at least once).  I definitely feel like I get enough time with them.  I haven't had any problems asking questions and getting good answers (by good I mean informative, non-condescending etc) with midwives & Dr's.  The midwives were able (as I expected) to feel how the baby was by palpating my tummy, which was pretty cool.  :)  Neither Dr's or midwives said anything about drugs during pregnancy except for once (bad sinus infection, cleared up in 3 days after one of the Dr's prescribed an anti-biotic).  I had one Dr (you can PM for a name if you want) that I really don't like, as he very adamantly pushed me getting the flu shot (and was condescending about it).  None of the other Dr's (or midwives) had a problem with me declining it.

They all gave me (and my husband) enough time to ask any questions and didn't leave until we were all set.  They also listened to any problems that I've been having (such as I noticed that I'd gained quite a bit of weight, and it was addressed immediately with the diagnosis of "edema", normal, no other signs of toxemia but watch for these symptoms & call if you notice any them, and then *the midwife made me feel really at ease with all of this information* I'll be peeing a lot after I give birth).  They were really open with my birth plan and any problems (none with the birth plan-the midwifes really liked it, and the Dr's told me that almost all of the things are things that they either do or recommend during labour & birth).

The birth suites at Covenant (the hospital you'll birth at if you go with them) are being redone.  I think half are done?  About half of them (I think, it's been a bit since I had my class) have huge, deep tubs for labouring, the ones that don't have tubs have showers.  They have squat bars, birthing balls and more.

I've heard from a few other women who've had the same type of experience, and I can really see why it's busy.  :)

#6 of 22 Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Hi! 

I live in in Grand Blanc which is just outside of Flint. I had an OB in Flint but ended up switching to a CNM at 30 Weeks. Her name is Jeanne Phillpotts and she is based out of Flushing and is partnered with a couple of OB. She is also in Fenton once a month if you live closer to there. Jeannie was great, and I felt so comfortable around her. She is only able to do births at McLaren Hospital in Flint. You have your own birthing room which is only reserved for her patients. It has more of an " at home feel" to it. There is a family bed and a jacuzzi in it! Here is her contact information:  http://www.mclarenregional.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=32&action=detail&ref=1682

Good luck on your search! =) If you have any questions for me about her care I would love to answer them for you. When we have another I would love to see her this time for my whole pregnancy! 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#7 of 22 Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 AM

If you are looking for a homebirth, Kate Mazzara would be a great choice!  I, too, have heard great things about Jeannie Philpotts.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 22 Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Narmowen- thanks so much for the extra information! I'm getting excited!

Zenmumajen - I looked into Jeanne Philpotts, but our insurance doesn't cover her practice. :( I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with her, though!

Thandiwe - I'll contact you again if we decide to go with a homebirth. Thanks for the name!

I'm feeling pretty good. Thanks for all the input!

#9 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 AM

If you decide to go with homebirth, I second Kate Mazzara.  She is great.

#10 of 22 Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM

another vote for kate. (i've also used jeanne, but i see your insurance is a no-go for her).

there's a very mother friendly OB at genesys. but im blanking on his name!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#11 of 22 Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM

My sister has used Jeanne for both of her births and I can say that I personally do NOT recommend her. I can't say it was Jeanne herself or the OBs she works with, but my sister ended up being pushed into several interventions during both of her births and ended up with an epidural because of them. She is a very nice woman, but seems to walk in a middle ground between the mindset of a midwife and an OB when it comes to interventions during birth.

#12 of 22 Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post

My sister has used Jeanne for both of her births and I can say that I personally do NOT recommend her. I can't say it was Jeanne herself or the OBs she works with, but my sister ended up being pushed into several interventions during both of her births and ended up with an epidural because of them. She is a very nice woman, but seems to walk in a middle ground between the mindset of a midwife and an OB when it comes to interventions during birth.

i'd say that's a fair assessment.  not a typo, lol, i agree with you.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#13 of 22 Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM

I would also have to say that Jeannie is in the middle between midwifery and obstetrics. Although, I don't feel that Jeannie pressures any kind of interventions unless she feel that they are medically necessary. She told me, upon our first meeting that "With me, you will NOT need an epidural".

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#14 of 22 Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I am new to the forum and was thinking about trying to find a midwife around the Flint area. Was wondering if there are any new recommendations from the past few months??

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#15 of 22 Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

I am new to the forum and was thinking about trying to find a midwife around the Flint area. Was wondering if there are any new recommendations from the past few months??

Home birth?  Kate Mazzara is phenomenal, and she is not far from Flint.  Mazzara Midwifery

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#16 of 22 Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM

I have used Jeanne and really liked her care. I also used Dr. Lindemulder at Genesys and he's awesome.  The nurses at Genesys are NOT though.  Patently, they SUCK.  They have no ability to think on their own and have NO bedside manner at all.  I've had two births there, and I will not go back because the nursing care is so unprofessional.  Sad to say, because the Head nurse in L&D used to be a Mothering subscriber.

#17 of 22 Old 09-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Another vote for Kate.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#18 of 22 Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 PM

I delivered my first through Genesys.  I didn't particularily care for my nurse either...

When my sister delivered last November, she has a fantastic nurse.

I refuse to go to McLaren.  Hurley has an amazing pediatrics...but I have had bad experiences there and the rest of the hospital is soooo dirty!!

So, by default Genesys it is.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#19 of 22 Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 PM

I am also looking into a midwife in the Flint area; however my BCBSM specifically states it will only cover a CNM; I am looking to do a homebirth.  From what I've found, I haven't seen any homebirth midwives as CNMs, only CPMs.  Is this normal?  Or am I just looking in the wrong directions?

#20 of 22 Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there! I'm due any day now, and I had the same problem when looking for insurance-covered midwives. In general, it seems insurance will only cover CNMs because they practice under an OB, so they don't have to worry about legal issues, blah blah blah. I've heard quite a few people just go with a homebirth and a CPM or lay midwife, and then fight the insurance companies afterwards about getting at least part of the cost covered with some success. Sometimes they don't mind paying partially if your birth went smoothly and there's no fear of suing or whatnot. 

I'm using a great CNM up in Saginaw (referenced above) named Kelley Hammis, and if you decide to go with the hospital route, I'd highly recommend her. In addition to Kelley, the entire hospital is natural friendly - no nurseries, recommending a long period of skin-to-skin contact and immediate breastfeeding, open to no eye-drops or vitamin K injections, they have a whole section in their booklet you get about why circumcision isn't recommended, all rooms have birth balls and squatting bars, and there are labor pools in several of the birthing rooms. I live in the Flint area, but the drive is definitely worth it to me! 

Hope your pregnancy goes well! Let me know if I can be of any more help!

#21 of 22 Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Hey bekahegrace, I noticed that you posted this just before you gave birth. I'm looking for a midwife and was wondering if you had any additional thoughts about Covenant Healthcare and Kelley Hammis after you gave birth.
#22 of 22 Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

I cannot say enough good about Covenant and Kelley! The whole hospital is SO supportive of natural-birth and mom's choices, and Kelley is amazing about it all too, with great bedside manner. We recently moved out of state and I am so sad that we won't be able to use her for our other pregnancies. Both Kelley and my nurses were completely supportive of my relatively picky birth plan and didn't deviate from it once. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'd be happy to answer them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page