Good, trusted doctors/mid-wives in Detroit-area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well...we're not pregnant yet, but my wife and I looking to be soon.  We live in Detroit, and we're looking for recommendations for open-minded doctors as well as mid-wives to help with the birth.  Our current doctors like pushing pills on us, and we're looking for a change.

We're interested in having a home birth, so whatever resources you can recommend would be helpful, too.   

Thanks for any advice you can give!

#2 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 PM

If you're looking for a good doctor or midwife in your area, you would want to re-post in the "Finding Your Tribe" section.  There is a breakdown by state, and you can post it there.

If you're interested in home birth, I would suggest watching the movie Orgasmic Birth (ignore the title, it's very, very tame and wholesome), and reading the book "Ina May's Guide To Childbirth," by Ina May Gaskin.  Heck, even if you aren't interested in home birth, they're still both great resources.  If you're a first time dad (or partner), the book "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin has a lot of great ideas for helping partners to help their partners navigate the pain of labor.

I'm sure other mamas can chime in with other books and movies.  I know that 'The Business of Being Born' is a movie about birth in general that has been eye opening to a lot of moms.  I think you can instant view it on Netflix.

But those would be good places to start if you're interested in home birth and natural childbirth.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 AM

I don't know a good homebirth midwife, but there is a great practice of midwives who deliver at Providence Hospital in Southfield.  The hospital has an alternative birth center where many of the natural techniques are applied.  I delivered both of my DDs with them and had beautiful experiences.

Here is a link to the ABC information...

http://theabcunit.com/

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#4 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM

If you are looking for home birth midwives, you will find a directory of them at http://michiganmidwives.org/directory

They are listed by area code, so should be easy to find several near you. Wendy Pinter has a good reputation and there are several practices in Ann Arbor that will come over your way, such as Stacia Profrock, and New Moon.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#5 of 6 Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help everyone!  We're already starting to see some clear options for us.

#6 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

There are a lot of great midwives in the Ann Arbor area as well that I know travel to the metro Detroit area as well. Feel free to PM me for some names :)

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page